- Volume 26 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
High-resolution Simulation of Meteorological Fields over the Coastal Area with Urban Buildings
건물효과를 고려한 연안도시지역 고해상도 기상모델링
- Hwang, Mi-Kyoung (Division of Earth Environmental System, Pusan National University) ;
- Kim, Yoo-Keun (Division of Earth Environmental System, Pusan National University) ;
- Oh, In-Bo (Environmental Health Center, University of Ulsan) ;
- Kang, Yoon-Hee (Division of Earth Environmental System, Pusan National University)
- Received : 2009.12.01
- Accepted : 2010.02.25
- Published : 2010.04.30
A meso-urban meteorological model (Urbanized MM5; uMM5) with urban canopy parameterization (UCP) was applied to the high-resolution simulation of meteorological fields in a complex coastal urban area and the assessment of urban impacts. Multi-scale simulations with the uMM5 in the innermost domain (1-km resolution) covering the Busan metropolitan region were performed during a typical sea breeze episode (4~8 August 2006) with detailed fine-resolution inputs (urban morphology, land-use/land-cover sub-grid distribution, and high-quality digital elevation model data sets). An additional simulation using the standard MM5 was also conducted to identify the effects of urban surface properties under urban meteorological conditions. Results showed that the uMM5 reproduced well the urban thermal and dynamic environment and captured well the observed feature of sea breeze. When comparison with simulations of the standard MM5, it was found that the uMM5 better reproduced urban impacts on temperature (especially at nighttime) and urban wind flows: roughness-induced deceleration and UHI (Urban Heat Island)-induced convergence.
Supported by : 기상청
- 변재영, 서범근, 이혜정, 최영진(2008) WRF-Urban Canopy Model을 이용한 서울 지역 예보와 검증, 한국기상학회 가을 학술대회 논문집, 54-55.
- 오인보, 김유근, 강윤희, 조영순(2008) 부산지역 최근 10년간(1998-2007년)의 기온 및 풍속의 변화, 환경과학회 가을학술발표회 발표논문집, 37-38.
- Brown, M. and M. Williams (1998) An urban canopy parameterizationfor mesoscale meteorological models, inAMS 2nd Urban Environment Symposium, Albuquerque, NM.
- Choi, Y., Y.-K. Kong, and W.-H. Jang (2005) A comparativeanalysis on the locational preference of super highrisemixed-use building in Busan -center, subcenterand coastal area-, Journal of the Architectural instituteof Korea, 21, 63-72. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Dupont, S., T.L. Otte, and J.K.S. Ching (2004) Simulation ofmeteorological fields within and above urban andrural canopies with a mesoscale model (MM5),Boundary-Layer Meteorology, 113, 111-158. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:BOUN.0000037327.19159.ac
- Ellefsen, R. (1991) Mapping and measuring buildings in thecanopy boundary layer in ten U.S. cities, EnergyBuildings, 15-16, 1025-1049.
- Grimmond, C.S.B. (2006) Progress in measuring and observingthe urban atmosphere, Theoretical and Applied Climatology,84, 3-22. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00704-005-0140-5
- Grimmond, C.S.B. and T.R. Oke (1999) Aerodynamic propertiesof urban areas devied form analysis of surfaceform, Journal of Applied Meteorology, 38, 1262-1292. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0450(1999)038<1262:APOUAD>2.0.CO;2
- Grimmond, C.S.B. and T.R. Oke (2002) Turbulent heat fluxesin urban areas: Observations and local-scale urbanmeteorological parameterization scheme (LUMPS),Journal of Applied Meteorology, 41, 792-810. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0450(2002)041<0792:THFIUA>2.0.CO;2
- Holt, T. and J. Pullen (2007) Urban canopy modeling of theNew York City Metropolitan Area: A comparisonand validation of single- and multilayer parameterization, Monthly Weather Review, 135, 1906-1930. https://doi.org/10.1175/MWR3372.1
- Kusaka, H., H. Kondo, Y. Kikegawa, and F. Kimura (2001) Asimple single-lcayer urban canopy model for atmosphericmodels: Comparison with multi-layer andslab models. Boundary-Layer Meteorology, 101,329-358. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1019207923078
- Lee, S.-D., I.-H. Chung, and A. Kondo (1997) Air flow aboveand within urban canopy, Journal of Korean Societyof Environmental Engineers, 19, 295-304. (in Koreanwith English abstract)
- Martilli, A. (2003) A two-dimensional numerical study of theimpact of a city on atmospheric circulation and pollutantdispersion in a coastal environment, Boundary-Layer Meteorology, 108, 91-119. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1023044100064
- Masson, V. (2000) A physically-based scheme for the urbanenergy budget in atmospheric models, Boundary-Layer Meteorology, 94, 357-397. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1002463829265
- NCAR (National Center for Atmopsheric Research) (2005)PSU/NCAR Mesoscale Modeling System TutoricalClass Notes and User’s Guide: MM5 Modelingsystem Version 3, Mesoscale and Microscale MeteorologyDivision.
- Oh, I.B., Y.-K. Kim, H.W. Lee, and C.-H. Kim (2006) Anobservational and numerical study of the effects ofthe late sea breeze on ozone distributions in theBusan metropolitan area, Korea, AtmosphericEnvironment, 40, 1284-1298. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2005.10.049
- Otte, T.L., A. Lacser, S. Dupont, and J.K.S. Ching (2004)Implementation of urban canopy parameterizationin a mesoscale meteorological model, Journal ofApplied Meteorology, 43, 1648-1665. https://doi.org/10.1175/JAM2164.1
- Piringer, M., C.S.B. Grimmond, S.M. Joffre, P. Mestayer,D.R. Middleton, M.W. Rotach, A. Baklanov, K.DeRidder, J. Ferreira, E. Guilloteau, A. Karppinean,A. Martille, V. Masson, and M. Tombrou (2002)Investigating the surface energy balance in urbanareas-recent advances and future needs, Water, Air,and Soil Pollution, 2, 1-16.
- Shafran, P.C., N.L. Seaman, and G.A. Gaayno (2000) Evaluationof numerical predictions of boundary layerstructure during the Lake Michigan Ozone Study,Journal of Applied Meteorology, 39, 412-426. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0450(2000)039<0412:EONPOB>2.0.CO;2
- Taha, H. (2008) Episodic performance and sensitivity of theurbanized MM5 (uMM5) to perturbations in surfaceproperties in Houston Texas, Boundary-Layer Meteorology,127, 193-218. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10546-007-9258-6
- A Study of Urban Heat Island in Chuncheon Using WRF Model and Field Measurements vol.28, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5572/KOSAE.2012.28.2.119