- Volume 10 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Job Selection, Separation, and Wage Level of SME Workers: based on a Follow-up Survey on Recent College Graduates
중소기업 취업자의 직장선택과 이동 그리고 임금 수준 분석
- Received : 2010.08.06
- Accepted : 2010.08.31
- Published : 2010.09.28
Recently SMEs(small and medium enterprises) in Korea have experienced severe labor shortages. In particular, college graduates avoiding SMEs are widely spotted. According to previous studies, the main causes of the evasion by college graduates are the inferior working environment and low wages. Some studies also state that SME workers experience discrimination. However, most studies have focused only on unemployment issues of the young graduates. In this research, the results of follow-up surveys on the employment status and job conditions of recent college graduates was linked as a panel data, and the performance of the graduates was analyzed. Based on the analysis, we found college graduates who are employed SMEs are likely to have their initial career fixed to the SMEs. Second, the job separation records of the young SME workers does not show positive labor market performances such as upward movements or wage increases, and the process itself turned out to be entailed frequent separation. Third, the inferior wage level at SMEs and the fact that this effect is cumulatively amplified has been a key factor for evading SMEs. Thus, it is difficult to say that the early-stage careers in SMEs are constructive in future career development. On the contrary, the early careers at SMEs result in lower labor market outcomes, and frequent job separation.
SMEs;College Graduates;Job Separation;Labor Market Performance;Scarring Effect
- 남재량, 노동시장의 동태적 특성에 관한 연구, 한국노동연구원, 2009.
- 채창균, 김안국, 오호영, 청년층의 노동시장 이행과 인적자원개발(I): 대졸 청년층의 노동이동, 한국직업능력개발원, 2005.
- P. B. Doeringer and M. J. Piore, Internal Labor Markets and Manpower Analysis, Lexington, D. C. Heath, 1971.
- J. Mincer and B. Jovanovic, “Labor Mobility and Wages,” in Studies in Labor Markets (S. Rosen eds), University of Chicago, Chicago, 1981.
- W. G. Johnson and J. Lambrinos, "Wage Discrimination against Handicapped Men and Women," J. of Human Resources, Vol.20, No.2, pp.264-277, 1985. https://doi.org/10.2307/146012
- A. Light and K. McGarry, "Job Change Patterns and The Wages of Young Men," The Review of Economics and Statistics, Vol.80, No.2, pp.276-286, 1999.
- A. Bartel and G. Borjas, "Wage Growth and Job Turnover: An Empirical Analysis," in Studies in Labor Markets (S. Rosen eds), Univ. of Chicago, Chicago, 1981.
- B. Jovanovic, "Job matching and the theory of turnover," J. of Political Economy, Vol.87, No.5, pp.972-90, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1086/260808
- J. Mincer, "Wage Changes in Job Changes," NBER Working Papers, National Bureau of Economic Research, 1996.
- P. Ryan, "The School-to-Work Transition : A Cross-National Perspective," J. of Economic Literature, Vol.3, No.4, pp.34-92, 2001.
- 류기철, “취업형태의 지속성에 관한 연구”, 노동경제논집, 제24권, 제1호, pp.207-230, 2001.
- 이병희, “청년실업과 경력형성”, 산업관계연구, 제11권, 제2호, pp.153-176, 2001.
- 이병희, “노동시장이행 초기경험의 지속성에 관한 연구”, 노동정책연구, 제2권, 제1호, pp.1-18, 2002.
- 이병희, 청년층 노동시장 분석, 한국노동연구원, 2003.
- 이병희, 노동이동과 인력개발, 한국노동연구원, 2005.
- 고상원, 박재민, 고급 과학기술인력의 학연산 유동성 실태조사 및 제고방안, 한국과학재단, 2001.
- 전재식, 박재민, “이공계인력의 임금함수”, 직업능력개발연구, 제9권, 제2호, pp.63-87, 2006.
- J. Mincer, "Schooling, Experience, and Earnings," NBER Working Paper, National Bureau of Economic Research, 1974.
- 김형만, 김미란, 전재식, 전문대.대학교 졸업생의 취업실태 조사, 한국직업능력개발원, 2003.
- 김형만, 김미란, 전재식, 정재호, 박재민, 엄미정, 신동균, 청년층의 노동시장 이행과 인적자원개발(III): 총괄보고서, 한국직업능력개발원, 2007.
- 박재민, “전공-직업 일치의 장기적 노동시장 성과”, 교육과 노동시장 연계와 성과(I), 한국직업능력개발원, 2009.
- 통계청, 한국표준직업분류(제5차 개정), 2000.