- Volume 29 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Driving Projects of Urban Agriculture for the Energy Independence
에너지 자립을 위한 도시농업 활성화 추진정책 방안
- Na, Young-Eun (Team of Energy policy, Presidential Committee on Green Growth)
- 나영은 (녹색성장위원회 에너지정책팀)
- Received : 2010.09.07
- Accepted : 2010.09.24
- Published : 2010.09.30
This study compared and analyzed existing studies and released papers to identify the "definition and scope of urban agriculture" which correspond to the circumstances of Korea based on the fact that urban agriculture was selected as one of the measures to pursue green growth by the Presidential Committee on Green Growth (PCGG) and the discussions and deliberations among PCGG, government, academia, civic organizations, and experts. It also aims to present the ways of policy to facilitate the development of urban agriculture based on the mentioned identification. This research proposes the definition of urban agriculture as 'all agricultural activities that incorporates multi-functional public benefits of agriculture performed within the administrative district of a city. However, the scope of urban agriculture should exclude the agricultural sites, the methods, and the activities that are against the multi-functional public benefits of agriculture, which will be determined depending on the spaces, methods, and purposes of planting food crops. In order to facilitate the development of urban agriculture, the government should implement the policy measures as following: (1) to analyze spaces for farming, and provide the spaces to the citizens; (2) to prepare legislation and institution that will allow citizens to use the farming spaces continuously; (3) to develop Korean-style urban agriculture model that fully reflects the features of Korean cities; (4) to develop a system where the urban citizens can easily learn and experience the urban agriculture; and, (5) to provide incentives that will attract active participation of urban citizens such as carbon mileage. (6) to analyze effect of urban agriculture to save energy and food self-sufficiency.
Energy independence;Green growth;Multifunctionality agriculture;Policy measures;Urban agriculture
- Jang, D.H., Soh, S.Y., 2005. A study on management of urban agriculture-the case of agriculture in Seoul-, Bulletin of the Agriculture College, Chonbuk National University, 36, 86-102.
- Jang, D.H., 2009. Policy implication for improving urban agriculture, Journal of Industrial and Business, 22(2), 979-994.
Ju, O.J., Lee, J.B., Seong, M.A., Kim, S.Y., Ryu, J.Y., Kim, D.G., Hong, Y.D., 2010. Estimation of food miles and
$CO_2$emissions of imported food, Journal of Korean Society for Atmospheric Environment, 26(1), 57-68. https://doi.org/10.5572/KOSAE.2010.26.1.057
- Kim, S.B., Cho, J.H., Jung, E.G., 2002. Environmental friendly city and city farming, Journal of Nakdonggang Environmental Research Institute, 7(1), 71-91.
- Kim, Y.S., Kim, S.B., Lee, Y.M., Kwon, Y.I., 1999. Study on the apartment residents's attitudes for allotment, Journal of Korean Institute of Traditional Landscape Architecture, 17(4), 139-148.
- Madaleno, I.M., Gurovich, A., 2004. Urban verse rural no longer matches reality: an early public agroresidental development in peri-urban Santiago, Chile, Cities, 21(6), 513-526. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cities.2004.08.001
- Yu, B.G., 2000. A study on the development of suburban agriculture, The Journal of Rural Society, 10, 37-10.
- A Study on Assessment of Urban Agriculture Education Program: Focused on Urban Agriculture Instructor Course at Gyeonggi Provincial Agricultural Research & Extension Services vol.19, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.12653/jecd.2012.19.2.273
- Study of Improving the Biotope Area Ratio System for Urban Agriculture Vitalization - Focus on Daylight Condition Analysis- vol.15, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.12.7393
- Quality Assessment of the Soils Used for Urban Agriculture in Seoul and its Vicinity vol.49, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2016.49.5.572
- Properties and Heavy Metal Contents of Urban Agricultural Soils in Seoul vol.44, pp.6, 2011, https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2011.44.6.1048
- The Current Status of Use and the Difference of Awareness by User Groups in the Cheongryongsan Vegetable Garden Park vol.20, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7851/ksrp.2014.20.2.071