- Volume 29 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of Cover Plants on Soil Biota: A Study in an Apple Orchard
사과원에서 피복식물이 토양생물상에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2010.09.01
- Accepted : 2010.09.20
- Published : 2010.09.30
We aimed to investigate the responses of soil organisms to cover plants and to provide information for the selection of proper plant species. We studied the effects of 7 cover plants, including rye, oat, rattail fescue, Chinese milk vetch, red clover, crimson clover, and hairy vetch, on soil organisms in an apple orchard. An increase in the microbial phospholipid fatty acids (PLFA) and in the number of nematodes and microarthropods in the soil under the cover plants reflects elevated activities of soil organisms. A decrease in the level of some marker PLFA, which is an indicator of environmental stress, suggests that cover plants provide favorable environments for soil organisms. The population of fungi and animals that feed on fungi increased in the soil surface under red clover. The population density of nematodes and mites increased in the soil surface under rattail fescue, and that of mites and omnivorous nematodes increased in the soil surface under Chinese milk vetch. The level of microbial PLFA in the soil surfaces under the tested cover plants was higher than that under clean culture system. These results suggest that proper selection of the cover plants can facilitate the creation of favorable environments for soil organisms.
- Aoki, J., 1999. Pictorial Keys to soil animals of Japan. pp. 113-787. Tokai university press, Japan.
- Bossio, D.A., Scow, K.M., 1998. Impacts of carbon and flooding on soil microbial communities: phospholipid fatty acid profiles and substrate utilization patterns, Microbial Ecol. 35, 265-278. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002489900082
- Dellow, J.J., Wilson, G.C., King, W.M., Auld, B.A., 2002. Occurrence of weeds in the perennial pasture zone of New South Wales, Plant Prot. Quart. 17, 12–16.
- Elfstrand, S., Bath, B., Martensson, A., 2007. Influence of various forms of green manure amendment of soil microbial community composition, enzyme activity and nutrient levels in leek, Appl. Soil Ecol. 36, 70-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsoil.2006.11.001
- Filser, J, 2002. The role of collembolan in carbon and nitrogen cycling in soil, Pedobiologia 46, 234-245.
- Hunt, H.W., Coleman, D.C., Ingham, E.R., Ingham, R.E., Elliott, E.T., Moore, J.C., Rose, S.L., Reid, C.P.P., Morley, C.R., 1987. The detrital food web in a shortgrass prairie, Biol. Fertil. Soils 3, 57-68.
- Jokela, W.E., Grabber, J.H., Karlen, D.L., Balser, T.C., Palmquist, D.E. 2009. Crop and Liquid Manure Effects on Soil Quality Indicators in a Corn Silage System, Agron. J. 101, 727-737. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj2008.0191
- Kaur, A., Chaudhary, A., Kaur, A., Choudhary, R., Kaushik, R., 2005. Phospholipid fatty acid-A bioindicator of environment monitoring and assessment in soil ecosystem, Curr. Sci. 89, 1103-1112.
- Kim, C.G., Seo, J.H., Cho, H.S., Choi, S.H., Kim, S.J., 2002. Effect of hairy vetch as green manure on rice cultivation, Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 35, 169-174.
- Kim, W.S., Lee, S.H., Choi, H.S., Jo, J.A., 2000. Effect of cover cropping with rye on growth and development in Pear (Pyrus pyifolia Nakai), Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 18, p 106.
- Li, W.H., Zhang, C.B., Jiang, H.B., Xin, G.R., Yang, Z.Y., 2006. Changes in soil microbial community associated with invasion of the exotic weed, Mikania micrantha HBK, Plant Soil 281, 309-324. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11104-005-9641-3
- MacGuidwin, A.E., Slack, S.A., 1991. Suitability of alfalfa, corn, oat, red clover, and snapbean as hosts for the potato rot nematode, Ditylenchus destructor, Plant Dis. 75, 37-39. https://doi.org/10.1094/PD-75-0037
- Okada, H., 2002. Role of nematodes in soil ecosystemseffects on dynamics of inorganic nitrogen. Root Res. 11, 3-6. https://doi.org/10.3117/rootres.11.3
- Otani, T., Ae, N., Tanaka, H., 1996. Phosphorus (P) uptake mechanisms of crops grown in soils with low P status. II. Significance of organic acids in root exudates of pigeon pea. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr. 42, 533-560.
- Park, K.C., Seo, Y.J., Kim, C.Y., Kim, J.S., Yi, Y.K., S., J.A., 2008. Influence of growing green manures on soil microbial activity and diversity under organically managed grape-greenhouse. Kor. J. Environ. Agri. 27, 260-266. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2008.27.3.260
- Peacock, A.D., Mullen, M.d., Ringelberg, D.B., Tyler, D.D., Hedrick, D.B., Gale, P.M., White, D.C., 2001. Soil microbial community responses to dairy manure or ammonium nitrate applications, Soil Biol. Biochem. 33, 1011-1019. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0038-0717(01)00004-9
- Ramos, M.E., Benitez, E., Garcia, P.A., Robles, A.B., 2010. Cover crops under different managements vs. frequent tillage in almond orchards in semiarid conditions: Effects on soil quality, Appl. Soil Ecol. 44, 6-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsoil.2009.08.005
- Reddy, K.N., Zablotowicz, R.M., Locke, M.A., Koger, C.H., 2003. Cover crop, tillage, and herbicide effects on weeds, soil properties, microbial populations, and soybean yield, Weed Sci. 51, 987-994. https://doi.org/10.1614/P2002-169
- Reeleder, R.D., Miller, J.J., Coelho, B.R.B., Roy, R.C., 2006. Impacts of tillage, cover crop, and nitrogen on populations of earthworms, microarthropods, and soil fungi in a cultivated fragile soil, Appl. Soil Ecol. 33, 243-257. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsoil.2005.10.006
- Rutto, K.L., Mizutani, F., Moon, D.G., Cho, Y.S., Kadoya, K., 2003. Seasonal fluctuations in mycorrhizal spore populations and infection rates of vineyard soils planted with five legume cover crops, J. Japan. Soc. Hort. Sci. 72, 262-267. https://doi.org/10.2503/jjshs.72.262
- Schloter, M., Dilly, O., Munch, J.C., 2003. Indicators for evaluating soil quality, Agri. Ecosys. Environ. 98, 255-262. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-8809(03)00085-9
- Stenberg, B., 1999. Monitoring soil quality of arable land: microbial indicators, Acta Agric. Scand., Sect. B, Soil Plant Sci. 49, 1-24.
- White, C.M., Weil, R.R., 2010. Forage radish and cereal rye cover crop effects on mycorrhizal fungus colonization of maize roots, Plant Soil 328, 507-521. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11104-009-0131-x
- Wardle, D.A., 1993. The dual importance of competition and predation as regulatory forces in terrestrial ecosystems: evidence from decomposer food-webs, Oecologia 2, 303-306.
- Yang, C.H., Ryu, J.H., Kim, T.K., Lee, S.B., Kim, J.D., Back, N.H., Kim, Sun., Choi, W. Y., Kim, S.J., 2009. Effect of green manure crops incorporation with rice cultivation on soil fertility improvement in paddy field, Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 42, 371-378.
- Effects of Cover Plants on Soil Microbial Community in a Organic Pear Orchard vol.47, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2014.47.1.028
- Effects of Yield and the Grape Growth each of Weed Control Methods on at the Vineyard in Chungbuk Province vol.17, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7585/kjps.2013.17.1.20
- Effects of Continuous Application of Green Manures on Microbial Community in Paddy Soil vol.48, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2015.48.5.528
- Effects of Cover Crops on Soil Chemical Properties and Biota in a Pear Orchard vol.48, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2015.48.1.015
- Differences in Soil Improvement Effects of Four Green Manure Crops in Greenhouse Cultivation vol.24, pp.5, 2011, https://doi.org/10.7732/kjpr.2011.24.5.636