- Volume 29 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Determination of Buprofezin Residues in Rice and Fruits Using HPLC with LC/MS Confirmation
- Lee, Young-Deuk (Division of Life and Environmental Science, Daegu University) ;
- Jang, Sang-Won (Division of Life and Environmental Science, Daegu University)
- Received : 2010.09.14
- Accepted : 2010.09.24
- Published : 2010.09.30
A high-performance liquid chromatographic (HPLC) method was developed to determine buprofezin residues in hulled rice and fruits. The buprofezin residue was extracted with acetone and the extract was stepwise purified by liquid-liquid partition and Florisil column chromatography. For rice samples, acetonitrile/n-hexane partition was additionally employed to remove nonpolar lipids. Reversed phase HPLC using an octadecylsilyl column was successfully applied to separate buprofezin from sample co-extractives, as detected by ultraviolet absorption at 250 nm. Recovery experiment at the limit of quantitation validated that the proposed method could evidently determine the buprofezin residue at the level of 0.02 mg/kg. Mean recoveries from hulled rice, apple, pear, and persimmon samples fortified at three tenfold levels were in the range of 80.8~85.2%, 89.1~98.4%, 88.8~95.7% and 90.8~96.2%, respectively. Relative standard deviations of the analytical method were all less than 5%, irrespective of sample types. A selected-ion monitoring LC/mass spectrometry with positive electrospray ionization was also provided to sensitively confirm the suspected residue.
Supported by : Daegu University
- Ardrey, R.E., 2003. Liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry: an introduction, pp. 98-126, Wiley, Chichester, UK.
- Borges, J.H., Cabrera, J.C., Delgado, M.A.R., Suarez, E.M.H., Sauco, V.G., 2009. Analysis of pesticide residues in bananas harvested in the Canary islands (Spain), Food Chemistry 113, 313-319. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2008.07.042
- Codex Alimentarius Commission (CAC), 2003. Guidelines on good Laboratory practice in residue analysis, CAC/GL 40-1993, Rev.1-2003, Rome, Italy.
- Das, K.A., 1981. Pesticide analysis, pp. 425-453, Marcel Dekker, New York, USA.
- Korea Crop Protection Association (KCPA), 2010. Agrochemicals use guide book, pp. 465-474.
- Korea Food and Drug Administration (KFDA), 2009. MRLs for pesticides in foods, p. 52.
- Korea Food and Drug Administration (KFDA), 2009. Analytical methods of pesticide residues in foods - In Korean code of food, pp. 10-4-10-10-4-18 and pp. 10-4-183-10-4-184.
- Lacina, O., Urbanova, J., Poustka, J., Hajaslova, J., 2010. Identification/qunatification of multiple pesticide residues in food plants by ultra-high-performance liquid chromatography-time-of-flight mass spectrometry, J. Chromatogr. A. 1217, 648-659. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2009.11.098
- Lee, Y.D., Lee, J.H., 1998. High-performance liquid chromatographic determination of tricyclazole residues in rice grain, rice straw, and soil, Agric. Chem. Biotechnol. 41, 595-599.
- Lee, Y.D., Kwon, C.H., 1999. Multiresidue analysis of eight acaricides in fruits, Agric. Chem. Biotechnol. 42, 191-196.
- Lee, Y.D., Kwon, C.H., 2004. Determination of monocrotophos residues in fruits and soils using high-performance liquid chromatography, Korean J. Environ. Agric. 23, 245-250. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2004.23.4.245
- McLafferty, F.W., Turecek, F., 1993 Interpretation of mass spectra, pp. 19-34, 4th ed., University Science Books, Sausalito, USA.
- Pesticide Residue Analysis Research Group (PRARG), 2006. Analytical methods of pesticide residues, pp. 128-130, 2nd ed., Chuohoki Publishing, Tokyo, Japan.
- Rural Development Administration (RDA), 2004. Test guidelines for pesticide persistence. In Criteria and Guidelines for Pesticide Registration, RDA Notification No. 2004-4 Annex 8, Korea.
- Santos, T.F.S., Aquino, A., Dorea, H.S., Navickiene, S., 2008. MSPD procedure for determining buprofezin, tetradifon, vinclozolin, and bifenthrin residues in propolis by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry, Anal. Bioanal. Chem. 390, 1425-1430. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00216-007-1813-y
- Snyder, L.R., Kirkland, J.J., Glajch, J.L., 1997. Practical HPLC method development, pp. 233-266 and 292-317, 2nd ed., Wiley, New York, USA.
- Soler, C., Manes, J., Pico, Y., 2005. Routine application using single quadrupole liquid chromatographymass spectrometry to pesticides analysis in citrus fruits, J. Chromatogr. A. 1088, 648-659.
- Tomlin, C.D.S., 2009. The pesticide manual, pp. 138-139, 15th ed., British Crop protection Council, Hampshire, UK.
- US FDA, 1999. Pesticide analytical manual, Vol 1: Multi-residue methods, 3rd ed., US Food and Drug Administration, USA.
- Zweig, G., Sherma, J., 1986. Analytical methods for pesticides and plant growth regulators Vol. XV, principles, statistics, and applications, pp. 67-87, Academic Press, Orlando, USA.
- Residue patterns of buprofezin and teflubenzuron in treated peaches vol.01, pp.01, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4236/jacen.2012.11002
- Multi-residue method development of 8 benzoylurea insecticides in mandarin and apple using high performance liquid chromatography and liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry vol.56, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13765-012-2170-x
- Residual determination and risk assessment of buprofezin in plum (Prunus domestica) grown in open-field conditions following the application of three different formulations vol.30, pp.11, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1002/bmc.3745
- Buprofezin dissipation and safety assessment in open field cabbage and cauliflower using GC/ITMS employing an analyte protectant pp.02693879, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1002/bmc.4492