- Volume 29 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Control of Green Peach Aphid (Myzus Persicae) by Combination of Plant Oil Formulations and Low-dosed Imidacloprid
- Yang, You Ri (Division of Applied Bioscience and Biotechnology, Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Chonnam National University) ;
- Kim, Seon-Hwa (Division of Applied Bioscience and Biotechnology, Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Chonnam National University) ;
- Park, Myung-Ryeol (Division of Applied Bioscience and Biotechnology, Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Chonnam National University) ;
- Kim, Ik-Soo (Division of Plant Biotechnology, Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Chonnam National University) ;
- Kim, In-Seon (Division of Applied Bioscience and Biotechnology, Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Chonnam National University)
- 투고 : 2010.08.24
- 심사 : 2010.09.17
- 발행 : 2010.09.30
Aphids are one of the major pests in agricultural crops. A number of synthetic pesticides have been used for control of aphids in agriculture, but increasing public concerns over their adverse effects on the environment have required more environmentally-friendly methods for pest management. In this study, we examined plant oil formulations for the control of green peach aphid (Myzus persicae). Oil formulations were prepared by hydrolyzing the plant oils in ethanolic KOH solution and diluted at the rate of 1:500 for aphid control. The oil formulations showed aphid mortalities ranging from 24.44 to 43.33% in vitro. Significantly increased aphid mortalities were observed by the treatment of oil formulations combined with low-dosed imidacloprid. No significant difference in the aphid mortality was observed between the oil formulations. Mass spectrometry analyses of aphids treated with the low dosedimidacloprid plus the plant oil formulations detected similar concentrations of imidacloprid between the treatments. In field trial bioassays against aphids, significantly decreased aphid population were observed in the pepper plants treated with soybean oil formulation combined with the low-dosed imidacloprid, while aphid population dramatically increased in the pepper plants treated with the low-dosed imidacloprid alone. These results suggested that the plant oil formulations can be used as an environmentally-friendly method for enhancing the insecticidal effectiveness, which may play a role in reducing the use of synthetic pesticide in agriculture.
Aphid;Imidacloprid;Insecticide;Organic farming;Plant oil
- Abbott, W. S., 1925. A method of computing the effectiveness of an insecticide, J. Eco. Entomol. 18, 265-267.
- Ayvaz, A., Sagdic, O., Karaborklu, S., Ozturk, I., 2010. Insecticidal activity of the essential oils from different plants against three stored-product insects, J. Insect Sci. 10, 1-13.
- Casanova, H., Araque, P., Ortiz, C., 2005. Nicotine carboxylate insecticide: Effect of the fatty acid chain length, J. Agric. Food. Chem. 53, 9949-9953. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf052153h
- Dhingra, S., 1996. Effect of different vegetable oils on the toxicity of cypermethrin in mixed formulations on the adults of Mylabris pustulata thunb, J. Entomol. Res. 20, 19-22.
- Dixon, A.F.G., 1987. The way of life of aphids: host specificity, speciation and distribution, in: Minks, A.K., Harrewijn, P., (Eds), Aphids, Their Biology, Natural Enemies and Control (2A), Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp. 197-207.
- Edelson, J.V., Duthie, J., Roberts, W., 2002. Toxicity of biorational insecticides: activity against the green peach aphid, Myzus persicae (Sulzer), Pest Manag. Sci. 58, 255-260. https://doi.org/10.1002/ps.444
- Foster, S.P., Denholm, I., Devonshire, A.L., 2000. The ups and down of insecticides resistance in peach-potato aphids (Myzus persicae) in the UK, Crop Protect. 19, 873-829. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0261-2194(00)00115-0
- Foster, S.P., Denholm, I., Thompson, R., 2003. Variations in response to neonicotinoid insecticides in peach-potato aphids, Myzus persicae (Hemiptera: Aphididas), Pest Manag. Sci. 59, 166-173. https://doi.org/10.1002/ps.570
- Horowitz, A.R., Mendelson, Z., Ishaava, I., 1997. Effect of abamectin mixed with mineral oil on the sweet potato whitefly (Homoptera Aleyrodidae), J. Econ. Entomol. 90, 349-353. https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/90.2.349
- Isman, M.B., 1997. Neem and other botanical insecticides: barriers to commercialization, Phytoparastica. 25, 339-344. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02981099
- James, C.K.N.G., Perry, K.L., 2004. Transmission of plant viruses by aphid vectors, Mol. Plant Pathol. 5, 505-511. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1364-3703.2004.00240.x
- Kaloshians, I., Walling, L.L., 2005. Hemipterans as plant pathogens, Annu. Rev. Phytopathol. 43, 491-521. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.phyto.43.040204.135944
- Kim, S.K., Kim, S.R., Choi, M.S., Park, C.E., Kim, Y.C., Kim, K.Y., Whang, K.S., Oh, K.T., Kim, I.S., 2007. Soybean oil-degrading bacterial cultures as a potential for control of green peach aphids (Myzus persicae), J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 17, 1700-1703.
- Kim, H.Y., Lee, H.B., Kim, Y.C., Kim, I.S., 2008. Laboratory and field evaluations of entomopathogenic Lecanicillium attenuatum CNU-23 for control of green peach aphid (Myzus persicae), J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 18, 1915-1918. https://doi.org/10.4014/jmb.0800.235
- Kim, S.R., Kim, I., Kim, I.S., 2009. Evaluation of a pyrethrum emulsion prepared in food-acceptable components in controlling green epach aphid (Myzus Persicae), J. Korean Soc. Appl. Biol. Chem. 52, 176-179. https://doi.org/10.3839/jksabc.2009.032
- Kim, I.S., Kim, I., 2009. Status and future prospects of pest control agents in environmentally-friendly agriculture, and importance of their commercialization, Korean J. Environ. Agric. 28, 301-309. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2009.28.3.301
- Liu, T.X., Stansly, P.A., 2000. Insecticidal activity of surfactants and oils against silver leaf whitefly (Bemisia argentifolii) nymphs (Homoptera: Aleyrodidae) on collards and tomato, Pest Manag. Sci. 56, 861-866. https://doi.org/10.1002/1526-4998(200010)56:10<861::AID-PS217>3.0.CO;2-Y
- Martín-Lopez, B., Varela, I., Marnotes, S., Cabaleiro, C., 2006. Use of oils combined with low doses of insecticide for the control of Myzus persicae and PVY epidemics, Pest Manag. Sci. 62, 372-378. https://doi.org/10.1002/ps.1168
- Moran, P.J., Thomson, G.A., 2001. Molecular responses to aphid feeding in Arabidopsis in relation to plant defense pathways, Plant Physiol. 125, 1074-1085. https://doi.org/10.1104/pp.125.2.1074
- Oerke, E.C., Dehne, H.W., 2004. Safeguarding production-losses in major crops and the role of crop protection, Crop Protect. 23, 275-285. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cropro.2003.10.001
- Papachristos, D.P., Karamanoli, K.I., Stamopoulos, D.C., Menkissoglu-Spiroudi, U., 2004. The relationship between the chemical composition of three essential oils and their insecticidal activity against Acanthoscelides obtectus (Say), Pest Manag. Sci. 60,514-520. https://doi.org/10.1002/ps.798
- Puri, S.N., Bhosle, B.B., Ilyas, M., Butler, G.D., Henneberry, T.J., 1994. Detergents and plant-derived oils for control of the sweet potato whitefly on cotton, Crop Protect. 13, 45-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/0261-2194(94)90135-X
- Rao, G.R., Dhingra, S., 1997. Synergistic activity of some vegetable oils in mixed formulations with cypermethrin against different instars of Spodoptera litura (Fabricius), J. Econ. Entomol. Res. 21, 153-160.
- Sylvester, E.S., 1989. Viruses transmitted by aphids, in: Minks, A.K., Harrewijn, P., (Eds), Aphids, Their Biology, Natural Enemies and Control (2C), Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp. 65-87.
- Pest Control Effect and Optimal dose by Pesticide Dispersion Spray Method in the Paprika Cultivation vol.18, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7585/kjps.2014.18.4.350
- Aphicidal Activity of Starfish (Asterina pectinifera) Extracts against Green Peach Aphid (Myzus Persicae) vol.30, pp.2, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2011.30.2.173