- Volume 29 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Removal of Nutrients Using an Upflow Septic Tank(UST) - Aerobic Filter(AF) System
부패조와 호기성 여과공정을 이용한 영양염류 제거
- Park, Sang-Min (Water Environmental Engineering Research Division, National Institute of Environmental Research) ;
- Jun, Hang-Bae (Department of Environmental Engineering, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Bae, Jong-Hun (Department of Environmental Engineering, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Park, Woo-Kyun (Climate Change and Agroecology Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science) ;
- Park, Noh-Back (Climate Change and Agroecology Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science)
- Received : 2010.08.27
- Accepted : 2010.09.24
- Published : 2010.09.30
The objective of this study was to investigate a small sewage treatment system. This system was developed to improve a nitrogen and phosphorus removal efficiency and generate less solid using upflow septic tank(UST) - aerobic filter(AF) system. The UST equipped with an aerobic filter, the filter was fed with both raw sewage and recycled effluent from the UST to induce the denitrification and solid reduction simultaneously. Overall removal efficiencies of COD and total nitrogen(TN) were above 96% and 73% at recycle ratio of 200%, respectively. Critical coagulant dose without the biochemical activity was found to be 40 mg/L. Removal efficiency of total phosphorus(TP) in influent was above 90% by chemical and biological reactions. Although the phosphorus concentration was low under the high alkalinity in raw sewage, the pH value was unchanged by the coagulant dose.
Anaerobic septic tank;Biofiltration system;Coagulant dose;Nutrient removal
- Akunna, J.C., Bizeau, C., Moletta, R., 1992. Denitrification in anaerobic digesters : possibilities and influence of wastewater COD/N-NOx ratio, Environ. Technol., 13, 825-836. https://doi.org/10.1080/09593339209385217
- APHA, 1995. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater, American Public Health Association, Washington, D.C.
- Chen, K.C., Lin, Y.F., 1992. Inhibitory effect of ionic nitrogen oxides on methanogenic sludge, Biochem. Eng., 839-841.
- Chen, K.C., Lin, Y.F., 1993. The relationship between denifrifying bacteria and methanogenic bacteria in a mixed culture system of acclimated sludge, Wat. Res., 27, 1749-1759. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1354(93)90113-V
- Chudoba, P., Pujol, R., 1998. A three-stage biofiltration process : Performance of a pilot plant, Wat. Sci. and Tech., 38, 257-256.
- Elmitwalli, T.A., vanDun, M., Bruning, H., Zeeman, G., Letting, G., 2000. The role of filter media in removing suspended and colloidal particles in an anaerobic reactor treating domestic sewage, Biores. Tech., 72, 235-242. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-8524(99)00120-0
- Gilmore, K.R., Husovitz, K.J., Holst, T.,Love, N.G., 1999. Influence of organic and ammonia loading on nitrifier activity and nitrification performance for a two-stage biological aerated filter system, Wat. Sci. and Tech., 39(7), 227-234. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0273-1223(99)00172-9
- Jun, H.B., Park, S.M., Park, J.K., Choi, C.O.,Lee, J.S., 2004. Nitrogen removal in an upflow sludge blanket (USB) reactor combined by aerobic biofiltration systems, Wat. Sci. and Tech., 49(5-6), 191-197.
- Kim, B.K., Sa, S.H., Kim, M.S., Lee, Y.K., Kim, J.K., 2007. The limiting nutrient of eutrophication in reservoirs of korea and suggestion of a reinforced phosphorus standard for sewage treatment effluent, J. of KSWQ. 23(4), 512-517.
- Liu, Y., Xu, H.L., Yang, S.F., Tay, J.H., 2003. Mechanical and models for anaerobic granulation in upflow anaerobic sludge blanked reactor, Wat. Res., 37(3), 661-673. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(02)00351-2
- Mosquera-Corral, A., Sanchez, M., Campos, J.L., Mendez, R., Lema, J.M., 2001. Simultaneous methanogenesis and denitrification of pertreated effluents from a fish canning industry, Wat. Res., 35(2), 411-418. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(00)00288-8
- Mukherjee, S.R., Levine, A.D., 1992. Chemical solubilization of particulate organics as a pretreatment approach, Wat. Sci. and Tech., 26(9-11), 2289-2292.
- Park, N.B., Park, S.M., Choi, W.Y., Jun, H.B., 2009. Methane production and nitrogen removal from piggery wastewater in the TPAD coupled with BNR process, J. of KSWQ. 25(1), 18-25.
- Park, S.M., Jun, H.B., Hong, S.P., Kwon, J.C., 2003. Small sewage treatment system with an anaerobicanoxic-aerobic combined biofilter, Wat. Sci. and Tech., 48(11-12), 213-220.
Park, S.M., Jun, H.B., Park, N.B., Oh, G.H., 2005. simultaneous denitrification and methanogenesis at various
$NO_3-N/COD$ratio in USB reactor, J. of KSEE, 27(11), 1174-1179.
- Payraudeau, M., Paffoni, C., Gousailles, M., 2000. Tertiary nitrification in an up flow biofilter on floating media : influence of temperature and COD load, Wat. Sci. and Tech., 41(4-5), 21-27.
- Nitrification and Denitrification of Land-based Fish Farm Wastewater using an Anaerobic-Aerobic Upflow Biological Aerated Filter vol.47, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2014.0622
- Evaluation of Treatment Efficiencies of Pollutants under Different Pollutant Fractions in Activated Sludge-Constructed Wetland System for Treating Piggery Wastewater vol.31, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2012.31.4.344