- Volume 16 Issue 10
This paper proposes a systematic approach to the rate-based feedback control based on the supervisory control framework for discrete event systems. We design the supervisor to achieve the desired behavior for TCP wireless networks. From the analysis and simulation results, it is shown that the controlled networks guarantee the fair sharing of the available bandwidth and avoid the packet loss caused by the buffer overflow of TCP wireless networks.
- C. Liu and R. Jain, "Approaches of wireless TCP enhancement and a new proposal based on congestion coherence," Proc. of the 36th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, pp. 307-316, 2002.
- C. P. Fu and S. C. Liew, "TCP Veno: TCP enhancement for transmission over wireless access networks," IEEE J. Select. Areas in Commun., vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 216-228, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSAC.2002.807336
- K. Xu, Y. Tian, and N. Ansari, "TCP-Jersey for wireless IP Communications," IEEE J. Select. Areas in Commun., vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 747-756, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSAC.2004.825989
- E. H. Wu and M. Z. Chen, "JTCP: Jitter-based TCP for heterogeneous wireless networks," IEEE J. Select. Areas in Commun., vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 757-766, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSAC.2004.825999
- M. Gerla, W. Weng, and R. L. Cigno, "Bandwidth feedback control of TCP and real time sources in the Internet," Proc. of IEEE GLOBECOM, pp. 561-565, 2000.
- M. Gerla, W. Weng, and R. L. Cigno, "BA-TCP: A bandwidth aware TCP for satellite networks," Proc. of Computer Communications and Networks, pp. 204-207, 1999.
- J.-C. Moon and B.-G. Lee, "Rate-adaptive snoop: a TCP enhancement scheme over rate-controlled lossy links," IEEE/ACM Trans. Networking, vol.1, pp. 603-615, 2006.
- R. G. Mukhtar, S. V. Hanly, and L. L. H. Andrew, "Efficient internet traffic delivery over wireless networks," IEEE Commun. Mag., vol. 41, no. 12, pp. 46-53, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/MCOM.2003.1252798
- L. Kalampoukas, A. Varma, and K. K. Ramarkrishnan, "Explicit window adaptation: a method to enhance TCP performance," IEEE/ACM Trans. Networking, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 338-350, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TNET.2002.1012366
- T. Taleb, N. Kato, and Y. Nemoto, "An explicit and fair window adjustment method to enhance TCP efficiency and fairness over multihops satellite networks," IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 371-387, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSAC.2003.819989
- F. Kelly, G. Raina, and T. Voice, "Stability and fairness of explicit congestion control with small buffers," ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review, vol. 38, issue 3, pp. 51-62, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1145/1384609.1384615
- H. Balakrishnan, N. Dukkipati, N. McKewon, and C. Tomlin, "Stability analysis of explicit congestion control protocols," IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 823-825, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/LCOMM.2007.070076
- T. Voice and G. Raina, "Stability analysis of a max-min fair rate control protocol (RCP) in a small buffer regime," IEEE Trans. Automatic Control, vol. 54, no. 8, pp. 1908-1913, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAC.2009.2022115
- P. J. Ramadge and W. M. Wonham, "Supervisory control of a class of discrete event processes," SIAM J. Control and Optimization, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 206-230, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1137/0325013
- P. J. Ramadge and W. M. Wonham, "The control of discrete event systems," Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 81-98, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1109/5.21072
- L. Benmohamed and S. M. Meerkov, "Feedback control of congestion in packet switching networks: the case of a single congested node," IEEE/ACM Trans. Networking, vol. 1, no. 6, pp. 693-708, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1109/90.266057