- Volume 52 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Characteristics of PPF Transmittance and Heat Flow by Double Covering Methods of Plastic Film in Tomato Greenhouse
토마토재배용 플라스틱온실의 이중피복방법에 따른 광합성유효광량자속 투과 및 열관류 특성
- Received : 2010.07.08
- Accepted : 2010.08.05
- Published : 2010.09.30
This study was conducted to provide design data for deciding covering method in double layers greenhouse. The variation of photosynthetic photon flux (PPF) and heat flow in air inflated and conventional double layers greenhouse was analyzed. The PPF of air inflated double covering greenhouse was less than that of conventional greenhouse during summer season because the more PPF comes into conventional greenhouse through roof vent which was rolled up for ventilation. The air inflated double layers covering greenhouse was superior to conventional type in the aspect of controlling inside temperature down owing to lower irradiation. The PPF of air inflated greenhouse was greater than that of conventional greenhouse during winter season because the transmittance of conventional greenhouse decreased by dust collected on inside plastic film nearly closed for insulation. Considering the PPF not sufficient for tomato growing in winter, the air inflated double covering system with the greater transmittance was better than conventional covering system. When the inside air of air inflated greenhouse was injected into space between the double layers of covering, the PPF of air inflated greenhouse was much less than the conventional greenhouse because the transmittance of air inflated double covering decreased due to condensation of highly humidified inside air. It was concluded that the more dried outside air should be used for inflating double layers covering. The heat insulation performance of air inflated double covering system was superior to conventional double covering system when comparing the overall heat transfer coefficients for each covering method. However the differences among the overall heat transfer coefficients depending on difference between inside and outside temperatures of greenhouse were great, it is necessary to conduct additional experiment for investigating the overall heat transfer coefficient to design the double layers covering.
- Boodley, J. W., 1996. The commercial greenhouse. 2nd ed. Albany, New York: Delmar Publishers.
- Fang, W., D. Mears, and A.J. Both, 2007. Story of air-inflated double-layer polyethylene greenhouse and its recent applications in Taiwan. ASAE International Seminar on Agricultural Structures and Agricultural Engineering, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan,R.O.C.
- Giacomelli G.A., K.C. Ting, and S. Panigrahi, 1988. Solar PAR vs. solar total radiation transmission in a greenhouse. Transactions of the ASAE 31(5): 1540- 1543.
- Hanan, J. J., 1998. Greenhouses: advanced technology for protected horticulture. Boca Raton, Flodia: CRC.
- Japan Greenhouse Horticulture Association, 1994. Greenhouse horticulture handbook. Tokyo: Japan Greenhouse Horticulture Association (in Japanese).
- Jensen, M., 2004. The world-wide impact of doublepoly greenhouses. ASAE Historical Landmark Dedication. Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey, USA.
- Kim, M. G., S. W. Nam, W. M. Suh, Y. C. Yoon, S. G. Lee and H. W. Lee, 2000. Agricultural structural engineering. Seoul: Hyangmunsa (in Korean).
- Lee H. W., 2003. Control of daily integral PPF by the artificial lighting and shading screen in greenhouse. Journal of Bio-Environment Control 12(1): 45-53 (in Korean).
- Lee H. W., S. G. Lee and S. H. Lee, 2002. Relationship between total solar radiation and PPF and transmittance in greenhouse at different weather conditions. Journal of Bio-Environment Control 11(2): 56-60 (in Korean).
- Lee H. W., S. Y. Sim, H. S. Nam, S. W. Nam, and Y. S. Kim, 2009a. Fundamental experiments for design of air inflating apparatus of air-inflated double-layer plastic greenhouse. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 51(5): 19-24 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2009.51.5.019
- Lee H. W., S. Y. Sim, H. S. Nam, S. W. Nam, and Y. S. Kim, 2009b. Development of design technology of korean style air-inflated double-layer plastic greenhouse. Journal of Bio-Environment Control 18(3): 185-191 (in Korean).
- Lee, J. H., 2010. Personal communication. Professor, Chunnam National University, Korea.
- Mihara, Y. and M. Hayashi, 1979. Studies on th insulation of greenhouses (1) - Overall heat transfer coefficient of greenhouses with single and double covering using several material curtains. Journal of Agricultural Meteorology 35(1): 13-19 (in Japanese) https://doi.org/10.2480/agrmet.35.13
- Minagawa, H. and K. Tachibana, 1982. The overall heat transfer of greenhouse covered with PE and PVC single layer - The heat insulation efficiency of greenhouses and their covering materials (1). Journal of Agricultural Meteorology 38(1): 15-22 (in Japanese). https://doi.org/10.2480/agrmet.38.15
- Nelson, P. V., 1991. Greenhouse operation and management. 4th ed. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
- Wu, C. H., H. S. Chang, and J. T. Shaw, 2002. Environmental control of double-layer greenhouse in Taiwan. Acta Hort. 578: 71-78.
- Characteristics of Heat Transmission Variation by Air Space Thickness and Injected Air Temperature in Air-Inflated Double Layers Film vol.55, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2013.55.6.121
- Comparison of Environmental Conditions and Insulation Effect between Air Inflated and Conventional Double Layer Greenhouse vol.27, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.12791/KSBEC.2018.27.1.46