- Volume 30 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of Water Extract Mixtures from Artemisia capillaris, Camellia sinensis, Schizandra chinensis, and Viscum album var. coloratum on Laying Performance, Egg quality, Blood Characteristics, and Egg Storage Stability in Laying Hens
인진쑥, 녹차, 오미자, 겨우살이 혼합 추출물의 첨가 급여가 산란계의 난 생산성, 계란 품질, 혈액 특성 및 계란 저장성에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Dong-Wook (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, Ji-Hyuk (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Kang, Geun-Ho (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Kang, Hwan-Ku (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Choi, Ji-Young (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, Sang-Ho (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Kang, Chang-Won (College of Animal Bioscience and Technology, Konkuk University)
- 김동욱 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 김지혁 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 강근호 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 강환구 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 최지영 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 김상호 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 강창원 (건국대학교 동물생명과학대학)
- Received : 2009.07.06
- Accepted : 2010.05.13
- Published : 2010.06.30
This study investigated the effects of three kinds of water extract mixtures each with different ratios of A. capillaris, C. sinensis, S. chinensis, and V. coloratum on laying performance, egg quality, blood characteristics, and egg storage stability in laying hens. One hundred and sixty 35-wk-old laying hens (Hy-line brown) were divided into four groups of 10 birds each replicated times four. The treatments involved a basal diet (C, control) or diets containing three kinds of water extract mixtures at 200 ppm (T1, water extract mixture A; T2, water extract mixture B; T3, water extract mixture C). The egg production rate, egg mass, and feed conversion ratio were significantly improved in all treatments compared to those of control (p<0.05). Haugh unit and egg yolk color in all treated groups were significantly improved in comparison with control (p<0.05), but no significant differences were observed for egg shell quality. The content of total cholesterol in blood serum was significantly decreased in all treatments compared to that of control (p<0.05). The blood biochemical parameters of liver and kidney damage were significantly decreased in all treatments compared to those of control (p<0.05). Total antioxidant activity in the blood serum of all treated groups was increased as well. The Haugh unit and malondialdehyde content in the egg yolk during storage were significantly decreased in all treated groups compared to control (p<0.05). Consequently, the dietary supplementation of water extract mixtures of A. capillaris, C. sinensis, S. chinensis, and V. coloratum improved laying performance and egg quality but decreased egg quality deterioration with increased storage. These results suggest that medicinal plant extracts could be used as a feed additive in feed for laying hens.
medicinal plant extract;laying hen;laying performance;egg quality;blood characteristics;egg storage stability
- Ahn, B. M. (2000) What is In-Jin-Sook Artemisia capillaris, Artemisia iwayomogi, and Artemisia annua. Korean J. Hepatol. 6, 548-551.
- Ahn, D. J., Kwak, Y. S., Kim, M. J., Lee, J. C., Shin, C. S., and Jeong, K. T. (2000) Screening of herbal plant extracts showing antimicrobial activity against some food spoilage and pathogenic microorganisms. J. Medicinal Crop Sci. 8, 109-116.
- Alia, M., Horcajo, C., Bravo, L., and Goya, L. (2003) Effect of grape antioxidant dietary fiber on the total antioxidant capacity and the activity of liver antioxidant enzymes in rats. Nutr. Res. 23, 1251-1267. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0271-5317(03)00131-3
- Beuge, J. A. and Aust, S. D. (1978) Microsomal lipid peroxidation. Methods Enzymol. 52, 302-310. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0076-6879(78)52032-6
- Biswas, M. A. H. and Wakita, M (2001) Comparison of two dietary factors, green tea powder feeding and feed restriction, influencing laying performance and egg quality in hens. Bull. Fac. Bioresources, Mie Univ. 25, 55-61.
- Botsoglou, N. A., Florou-Paneri, P., Botsoglou, E., Dotas, V., Giannenas, I., Koidis, A., and Mitrakos, P. (2005) The effect of feeding rosemary, oregano, saffron and alpha-tocopheryl acetate on hen performance and oxidative stability of eggs. S. Afr. J. Anim. Sci. 35, 143-151.
- Cai, Y. Z., Luo, Q., Sun, M., Corke, H. (2004) Antioxidant activity and phenolic compounds of 112 traditional Chinese medicinal plants associated with anticancer. Life Sci. 74, 2157-2184. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lfs.2003.09.047
- Chernecky, C. C. and Berger, B. J. (2004) Laboratory Tests and Diagnostic Procedures, 4th ed. Philadelphia: Saunders.
- Cherian, G., Wolfe, F. W., and Sim, J. S. (1996) Feeding dietary oils with tocopherols : effects on internal qualities of eggs during storage. J. Food Sci. 61, 15-18. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1996.tb14716.x
- Duncan, D. B. (1955) Multiple range and multiple F test. Biometric. 11, 1-42. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001478
- Florou-Paneri, P., Dotas, D., Mitsopoulos, I., Dotas, V., Botsoglou, E., Nikolakakis, I., and Botsoglou, N. (2006) Effect of feeding rosemary and á-tocopheryl acetate on hen performance and egg quality. J. Poult. Sci. 43, 143-149. https://doi.org/10.2141/jpsa.43.143
- Hernandez, F., Madrid, J., Garcia, V., Orengo, J., and Megias. M. D. (2004) Influence of two plant extracts on broilers performance, digestibility, and organ size. Poult. Sci. 83, 169-174. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/83.2.169
- Hong, S. J., Namkung, H., and Paik, I. K. (2001) Effects of herbal products (Miracle20) on the performance, nutrient digestibility, small intestinal microflora and immune response in broiler chickens. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 43, 671-680.
- Jeong, S. J., Lee, J. H., Song, H. N., Seong, N. S., Lee, S. E., and Baeg, N. I. (2004) Screening for antioxidant activity of plant medicinal extracts. J. Korean Soc. Appl. Biol. Chem. 47, 135-140.
- Jo, C. R., Jang, A. R., Jung, S., Choe, J. H., Kim, B. N., and Lee, K. H. (2009) Effect of dietary herb extract mix on antioxidative activity of chicken thigh meat. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 38, 302-308. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.3.302
- Kim, C. H., Oh, D. H., and Chae, B. J. (2001) Effect of Feeding Green Tea and Chitosan on Production, Nutrient Utilization and Cholesterol Level in Serum or Egg Yolk of Laying Hens. Korean J. Poult. Sci. 28, 275-281.
- Kim, J. H., Na, J. C., Kim, S. H., Jang, B. G., Kang, H. S., Lee, D. S., Lee, S. J., and Jwa, S. H. (2006) Effect of dietary medicinal plant by-products on egg production and egg quality in laying hens. Korean J. Poult. Sci. 33, 121-126.
- Kim, J. H., Kim, D. W., Kang, K. H., Jang, B. G., Yu, D. J., Nam, J. C. Kim, S. H., Lee, D. S., Suh, O. S., and Choi, K. D. (2007) Effects of dietary Korean mistletoe on performance and blood characteristics in broilers. Korean J. Poult. Sci. 34, 129-136. https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2007.34.2.129
- Kiso, Y., Ogasawara, S., Hirota, K., Watanabe, N., Oshima, Y., Konno, C., and Hikkino, H. (1984) Antihepatotoxic principles of Artemisia capillaris buds. Planta Med. 1, 81-85.
- Kojima, S. and Yoshida, Y. (2008) Effects of green tea powder feed supplement on performance of hens in the late stage of laying. Int. J. Poult. Sci. 7, 491-496. https://doi.org/10.3923/ijps.2008.491.496
- Lee, C. H., Han, K. H., Choi, I. S., Kim, C. Y., and Cho, J. K. (1999) Effects of mugwort water extracts on cadmimum toxicity in rats. Korean J. Food Sci. Ani. Resour. 19, 188-197.
- Ma, D., Shan, A., Chen, Z., Du, J., Song, K., Li, J., and Xu, Q. (2005) Effect of Ligustrum lucidum and Schisandra chinensis on the egg production, antioxidant status and immunity of laying hens during heat stress. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 59, 439- 447. https://doi.org/10.1080/17450390500353499
- Ma, D., Shan, A., Li, J., Zhao, Y., and Guo, X. (2009) Influence of an aqueous extract of Ligustrum lucidum and an ethanol extract of Schisandara chinensis on parameters of antioxidative metabolism and spleen lymphocyte proliferation of broilers. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 63, 66-74. https://doi.org/10.1080/17450390802611578
- Min, B. J., Lee, W. B., Kwon, O. S., Son, K. S., Hong, J. W., Cho, J. H., and Kim, I. H. (2004) The Effects of Herbal Plant Mixture Supplementation on the Performance of Laying Hens under Heat Stress. Korean J. Poult. Sci. 31, 9-15.
- Muramatsu, K., Fukuyo, M., and Hara, Y. (1986) Effect of green tea catechins on plasma cholesterol level in cholesterol- fed rats. J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol. 32, 613-622. https://doi.org/10.3177/jnsv.32.613
- NRC (1994) Nutrient requirement of poultry. National Research Council National Academy of Science Washington DC.
- Park, C. I. and Kim, Y. J. (2008) Effects of dietary mugwort powder on the VBN, TBARS, and fatty acid composition of chicken meat during refrigerated storage. Korean J. Food Sci. Ani. Resour. 28, 505-511. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2008.28.4.505
- Puiggross, F., Llopiz, N., Ardevol, A., Blade, C., Arola, L., and Salvado, M. J. (2005) Grape seed proanthocyanidins prevent oxidative injury by modulating expression of antioxidant enzyme system. J. Agric. Food Chem. 53, 6080-6086. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf050343m
- Sahin, N., Sahin, K., and Onderci, M. (2003) Vitamin E and selenium supplementation to alleviate cold-stress associated deterioration in egg quality and egg yolk mineral concentrations of Japanese quail. Biol. Trace Elem. Res. 96, 179-189. https://doi.org/10.1385/BTER:96:1-3:179
- SAS (2002) SAS/STAT Software for PC. Release 9.1, SAS Institute Inc. Cary, NC, USA.
- Song, J. C. Park, N. K. Hur, H. S. Bang, M. H., and Back, N. I. (2008) Examination and isolation of natural antioxidants from Korean medicinal plants. Korean J. Medicinal Crop. Sci. 8, 94-101.
- Trevisanato, S. I. and Y. I. Kim, 2000. Tea and health. Nutr. Review 58, 1-10.
- Uuganbayar, D., Bae, I. H., Choi, K. S., Shin, I. S., Firman, J. D., and Yang, C. J. (2005) Effects of green tea powder on laying performance and egg quality in laying hens. Asian- Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18, 1769-1774. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.1769
- Wang, R. J., Li, D. F., and Bourne, S. (1998) Can 2000 years of herbal medicine history help us solve problems in the year 2000? Biotechnology in the Feed Industry. Proceedings of Alltech's 14th annual symposium pp. 273-291.
- Windisch, W., Schedle, K., Plitzner, C., and Kroismayr, A. (2008) Use of phytogenic products as feed additives for swine and poultry. J. Anim. Sci. 86, 140-148.
- Wiseman, S. A. (1997) Antioxidants in tea. Crit. Rev. Food Sci. Nutr. 37, 143-147.
- Yamane, T., Goto, H., Takahashi, D., Takeda, H., Otowaki, K., and Tsuchida, T. (1999) Effects of hot water extracts of tea on performance of laying hens. Jpn. Poult. Sci. 36, 31-37. https://doi.org/10.2141/jpsa.36.31
- Yang, C. S. and Landau, J. M. (2002) Effects of tea consumption on nutrition and health. J. Nutr. 130, 2127-2130.
- Ikeda, I. (2008) Multifunctional effects of green tea catechins on prevention of the metabolic syndrome. Asia Pac. J. Clin. Nutr. 17, 273-274.
- Kim, Y.R., Lee, B. K., Kim, J. Y., Kim. J. S., Lee, W. S., Lee, S. Y., Kim, E. J., Ahn, B. K., and Kang, C. W. (2009) Effects of dietary locally grown herbs (Mentha piperascens, Rubus coreanus, Tagetes patula) on the growth performance and meat quality of broiler chicken. Korean J. Food Sci. Ani. Resour. 29, 168-177. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2009.29.2.168
- Lim, J. D., Yu, C. Y., Kim, M. J., Yun, S. J., Lee, S. J. Kim, N. Y., and Chung, I. M. (2004) Comparison of SOD activity and phenolic compound contents in various Korean Medicinal plants. Korean J. Medicinal Crop Sci. 12, 191-202.
- Ma, D., Liu, Y., Liu, S., Li, Q., and Shan, A. (2007) Influence of Ligustrum lucidum and Schisandra chinensis fruits on antioxidative metabolism and immunological parameters of layer chicks. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 20, 1438-1443. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2007.1438
- Park, S. H. and Hahm, T. S. (2005) Effects of Schizandride fructus extract on the renal function by cardiovascular regulation. J. East. Asian Soc. Dietary Life 15, 558-565.
- Williams, K. C. (1992) Some factor affecting albumen quality with particular reference to haugh unit score. World's Poult. Sci. J. 48, 5-16. https://doi.org/10.1079/WPS19920002
- Yang, C. J., Jung, Y. C., and Uuganbayar, D. (2003) Effect of feeding diets containing green tea by-products on laying performance and egg quality in hens. Kor. Poult. Sci. 30, 183- 189.
- Changes in Antioxidant Activity of Duck Egg after Pressurized Soaking in Green Tea Extract vol.40, pp.9, 2011, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.9.1328
- Effect of dietary supplementation of wild grape (Vitis coignetiae) on the quality of egg vol.39, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.7744/cnujas.2012.39.3.371
- A Study of Establishment and Exploitation of Bio-markers for Determination of Shelf-life of Eggs and Egg Products vol.32, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2012.32.3.354