- Volume 30 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Meat Quality and Sensory Properties of Korean Native Black Goat by Different Castration Age
거세시기에 따른 재래흑염소 육의 육질 및 관능적 특성
- Kim, Byung-Ki (Gyeongsangbuk-do Livestock Research Institute) ;
- Hwang, Eun-Gyeong (Department of Oriental Medicine Industry, Daegu Haany University) ;
- Kim, Su-Min (Department of Oriental Medicine Industry, Daegu Haany University)
- Received : 2010.03.02
- Accepted : 2010.04.13
- Published : 2010.06.30
This study was conducted to investigate the effect of different castration ages on meat quality and sensory properties of Korean native black goats over 410 days. For the experiment, 32 heads of goat (eight heads/4 treatment) were subjected to either a control (5 month non-castration), T1 (7 month castration), T2 (5 month castration) or T3 (3 month castration). The total weight gain for Korean native black goats was highest in the T2 group after feeding for 410 days and the weight gain/day tended to be similar to the total weight gain. The total feeding amounts were lowest (410.82 kg) in T3; however, the feed intake ratio was 16.39 in T2, indicating that it had the best feed efficiency among groups. The cooking loss and drip loss of the Korean native black goats was highest in the control, being 35.53% and 2.08%, respectively (p<0.05), while the total cholesterol of the treatments was higher than that of the control (p<0.05). Moreover, the overall sensory evaluation of the treatment groups was low, indicating that there was more meat flavor when compared to the controls in terms of juiciness, tenderness, flavor, texture, black goat off-flavor and overall evaluation (p<0.05). T2 was found to have the best meat flavor upon sensory evaluation. Additionally, the meat color of the control showed the highest
Korean native black goat;castration age;meat quality;sensory properties
- AOAC. (2004) Official Methods of analysis 16th ed, Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington DC. pp. 931.
- Choi, S. H., Cho, Y. M., Kim, Choi, H. S., Lee, J. W., and Kim, Y. G. (2000) Effects of castration and searing of musk gland on growth performance and meat quality of Korean native goats. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.). 42, 891-896.
- Choi, S. H., Hwangbo, S., Kim, S.W., Kim, Y. K., Sang, B. D., Myung, J. H., Hur, S. N., and Jo, I. H. (2007) Effects of dietary energy level on growth and meat quality of Korean black goats. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.). 49, 509-514. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2007.49.4.509
- Choi, S. H., Kim, S.W., Park, B.Y., Sang, B. D., Kim, Y. K., Myung, J. H., and Hur, S. N. (2005) Effects of dietary crude protein level on growth and meat quality of Korean black goats. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.). 47, 783-788. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2005.47.5.783
- Choi, S. H., Kim, S. W., Hwangbo, S. Cho, C. T., and Kim, J. H. (2010) Effects of the castration time on growth performance, meat quality and fatty acid profiles of Korean black goats. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.). 52, 37-42. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2010.52.1.037
- Gill, C. O. and Harrision, J. C. L. (1989) The storage life of chilled pork package under carbon dioxide. Meat Sci. 26, 313-318. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(89)90015-6
- Honikel, K. O. (1987) How to measure the water holding capacity of meat? Recommendation of standardized methods. In: P. V. Tarrant, G. Eikelenboom., and G. Monin (ed) Evaluation and control of meat quality in pig. pp. 129. Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, Vol. 10, pp. 455-462.
- Lawrie, R. (1985) Development in meat science. In: Packaging Fresh Meat, A. A. Taylor (Ed). Elsevier Applied Science Publishers, p. 89.
- Lippke, H. (1980) Forage characteristics related to intake, digestibility and gain by ruminants. J. Anim. Sci. 50, 952- 961.
- Madruga, M. S., Arruda, S. G. B., Narain, N., and Souza, J. G. (1999) Castration and slaughter age effects on nutritive value of the mestico goat meat. Meat Science. 52, 119-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(98)00156-9
- Mazumder, M. A. R., Hossain, M. M., and Akter, S. (1998) Effect of levels of concentrate supplement on live weight gain and carcass characteristics in sheep on restricted grazing, Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 11, 17-20. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.1998.17
- Mottram, D. S. and Edwards, D. S. (1983) The role of triglycerides and phospholipids in the aroma of cooked beef. J. Sci. Food Agri. 34, 517-523. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740340513
- Oka, A., Iwaki, F., Dohgo, T., Ohtagaki, S., Noda, M., Shiozaki, T., Endoh, O., and Ozaki, M. (2002) Genetic effects on fatty acid composition of carcass fat of Japanese Black Wagyu steers. J. Anim. Sci. 80, 1005-1011.
- Park, P. W. and Goins, R. E. (1994) In situ preparation of fatty acid methyl esters for analysis of fatty acid composition in foods. J. Food. Sci. 72 (suppl. 2). pp. 5.
- Shaver, R. D., Satter, L. D. and Jorgensen, N. A. (1988). Impact of forage fiber content on digestion and digesta passage in lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 71, 1556-1565. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(88)79719-2
- Titi, H. H., Tabbaa, M. J., Amasheh, M. G., Barakeh, F., and Daqamseh, B. (2000) Comparative performance of awassi lambs and black goat kids on different crude protein levels in Jordan. Small Rumin. Res. 37, 131-135. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(99)00136-4
- Waldman, R. C., Suess, G. G., and Brungardt, V. H. (1968) Fatty acids of certain bovine tissue and their association with growth, carcass and palatability traits. J. Anim. Sci. 27, 632- 635.
- Westerling, D. B. and Hderick, H. B. (1979) Fatty acid composition of bovine lipids as influenced by diet, sex and anatomical location and relationship to sensory characteristics. J. Anim. Sci. 48, 1343-1348.
- Dugan, M. E. R., Aalhus, J. L., Jeremiah, L. E., Kramer, J. K. G., and Schaefer, A. A. (1999) The effect of feeding conjugated linoleic acid on subsequent pork quality. Can J. Anim.
- Sc11. Honikel, K. O. (1987) How to measure the water holding capacity of meat? hod for the isolation and purification of lipids from animal tissues. J. Biol. Chem. 226, 497-509.
- Mahgoub, O., Lu, C. D., and Early, R. J. (2000) Effects of dietary energy density on feed intake body weight gain and carcass chemical composition of Omani growing lambs. Small Rumin. Res. 37, 35-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(99)00132-7
- Nam, K. C., Du, M., Jo, V., and Ahn, D. Y. (2001) Cholesterol oxidation products in irradiated raw meat with different packaging and storage time. Meat Sci. 58, 431-435. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(01)00046-8
- Sturdivant, C. A., Lunt, D. K., Smith, C., and Smith, S. B. (1992) Fatty acid composition of subcutaneous and intramuscular adipose tissues and M. longissimus dorsi of Wagyu cattle. Meat Sci. 32, 449-458. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(92)90086-J
- Archimede, H., Pellonde, P., Despois, P., Etienne. T., and Alexandre, G. (2008) Growth performances and carcass traits of ovine martin lambs fed various ratios of tropical forage to concentrate under intensive conditions. Small Rumin. Res. 75, 162-170. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2007.10.001
- Carlin, A. F. and Harrison, D. L. (1978) Cooking and sensory methods used in experimental studies on meat. Livestock and Meat Board Chicago, Illinois. pp. 58.
- Lee, G. H. (2008) Comparative study on Hanwoo beef and imported beef though the analysis of quality attributes and the survey of consumer's purchasing preference. Hoseo University Graduate Ph.D Thesis.
- Mitsuhashi, T., Mitsumoto, M., Kitamura., Y., Tamashita, Y., and Ozawa, S. (1988) Age associates changes in melting points and fatty acid composition in certain adipose tissues from Japan black steers. Bulletin Chugoku National Agricultural Experiment Station. 2, 43-51.
- SAS (2002) SAS/STAT Software for PC. SAS/STAT User's guide : Statics SAS In., Cary, NC, USA.
- Russo, C., Preziuso, G., Casarosa, L., Campodoni, G., and Cianci, D. (1999) Effect of diet energy source on the chemical physical characteristics of meat and depot fat of lamb carcasses. Small. Rumin. Res. 33, 77-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(98)00200-4
- Comparisons of Meat Quality Characteristics between Castration and Non-castration from Dairy Goats vol.33, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2013.33.1.119
- Meat Quality Characteristics of the Four Major Muscles from Korean Native Black Goat vol.52, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.14397/jals.2018.52.1.37