- Volume 30 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of HACCP System Implementation on Medicine Use and Productivity of Swine Farms in Korea
- Cho, Jea-Jin (Korea Livestock Products HACCP Accreditation Service) ;
- Baek, Seung-Hee (Korea Livestock Products HACCP Accreditation Service) ;
- Lim, Dong-Gyun (Korea Livestock Products HACCP Accreditation Service) ;
- Pyo, Su-Il (Korea Livestock Products HACCP Accreditation Service) ;
- Lee, Won-Cheol (Korea Livestock Products HACCP Accreditation Service) ;
- Nam, In-Sik (Korea Livestock Products HACCP Accreditation Service)
- Received : 2009.12.18
- Accepted : 2010.05.06
- Published : 2010.06.30
This study was conducted to examine the effect of HACCP implementation on the cost of medicine use, antibiotic utilization, and productivity of swine in Korea. Data were collected from forty-five swine farms before and after implementation of a HACCP system. The cost of medicine used, the number of different antibiotics used and the number of feeds containing antibiotic supplements added at the feed company tended to be lower (p>0.05) after HACCP implementation. Additionally, the number of feeds containing antibiotics supplemented at the farm was significantly lower after HACCP implementation (p<0.05). Moreover, the number of piglets born per sow per year and pigs marketed per sow per year were higher after HACCP implementation (22.0, 20.0) than before HACCP implementation (20.4, 18.9). These results suggest that implementation of HACCP systems on swine farms may provide beneficial effects such as reduction of medical expenses and improved productivity, as well as increased safety of livestock products for consumers.
- Chikwendu, C. I., Nwabueze, R. N., and Anyanwu, B. N. (2008) Antibiotic resistance profile of Escherichia coli from clinically healthy pigs and their commercial farm environments. J. Mocrobiol. Res. 2, 12-17.
- Chinabut, S. and Puttinaowarat, S. (2005) The choice of disease control strategies to secure international market access for aquaculture product. Pro. Fish. Vaccinol. 121, 255-261.
- Close, W. H. (2000) Producing pigs without antibiotic growth promoters. Advan. Pork Prod. 11, 47-56.
- Dowson, C., Coffey, T., and Spratt, B. (1994) Origin and molecular epidemiology of penicillin-binding-protein-mediated resistance to beta-lactam antibiotics. Trends Microbiol. 2, 361-366. https://doi.org/10.1016/0966-842X(94)90612-2
- Hays, V. W. (1991) Effects of antibiotics. In: Growth regulation in farm animals. Pearson, A. M. and Dutson, T. R. (eds) Elsevier Applied Science, London, pp. 299-320.
- Hunter, H. J., Shelley, J. C., Walter, J. R., Hart, C. A., and Benneth, M. (1992) Apramycin resistance plasmids in Escherichia Coli: Possible transfer to S. typhimurium in clave. Epidemiol. Infect. 108, 271-278. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0950268800049748
- Kim, Y. Y., Kil, D. Y., Oh, H. K., and Han, I. K. (2005) Acidifier as alternative material to antibiotics in animal feed. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18, 1048-1060. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.1048
- McGinn, S. M. (2001) Odiurs from intensive livestock operations. Advan. Dairy Technol. 13, 417-430.
- Ministry of Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (2006) Application of HACCP system on swine farm. Ministry of Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Seoul.
- Ministry of Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (2007a) Application of HACCP system on beef cattle farm. Ministry of Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Seoul.
- Ministry of Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (2008a) Application of HACCP system on chicken farm. Ministry of Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Seoul.
- Ministry of Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (2008b) Application of HACCP system on laying hen farm. Ministry of Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Seoul.
- Ministry of Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (2008c) Regulation of hazard analysis critical control point in processing of livestock product sanitation act, Korea.
- Nam, I. S., Kwak, H. K., Pyo, S. I., Hwang, I. J., Kim, H. S., Lee, K. S., Kim, H. S., Kang, C. G., Lim, D. K., and Cho, J. J. (2008) Productivity analysis of HACCP applied pig farms. Kor. J. Vet. Publ. Heal. 32, 141-145.
- SAS (2002) SAS User's Guide, Version 6.02. SAS Institute Inc. NC.
- Song, J. H., Jong, M. J., and Choi. S. H. (2007) A plan for economic benefit of livestock farm. Korea Rural Economic Institute, Annual Report, R558.
- Song, J. H., Woo, B. J., Hour, D., and Park, S. I. (2006) Economic analysis of animal disease. Korea Rural Economic Institute, Annual Report, R519.
- Summers, A. O. (2002) Generally overlooked fundamentals of bacterial genetics and ecology. Clin. Infect. Dis. 34, 85-92. https://doi.org/10.1086/340245
- Chee-Sanford, J. C., Aminov, R. I., Krapac, T. J., Garrignes- Jean, N., and Mackie, R. I. (2001) Occurrence and diversity of tetracycline-resistance genes in lagoons and ground water underlying two swine production facilities. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 67, 1494-1502. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.67.4.1494-1502.2001
- Rhodes, G., Huys, H., and Swings, J. (2000) Distribution of oxytetracycline assistance plasmids between acromonads in hospital and aquaculture environments: Implication of Tn1721 in dissemination of the tetracycline assistance determinant. Appl. Environ. Microbial. 66, 3883-3890. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.66.9.3883-3890.2000
- Suh, D. K. and Song, J. C. (2006) Analysis of Salmonella enterica serotype Enteritidis isolated from human and chickens by repetitive sequence-PCR fingerprinting by antibiotic resistance and plasmid profiles. J. Vet. Sci. 7, 37-41. https://doi.org/10.4142/jvs.2006.7.1.37
- Codex Alimentarius Commission. (2001) Food hygiene basic texts. Codex Alimentarius - Joint FAO/WHO food standards programs, 3rd. Bernan Association, Lanham, MD.
- Ministry of Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (2007b) Application of HACCP system on lactating cattle farm. Ministry of Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Seoul.
- Quantitative Microbial Risk Assessment of Clostridium perfringens on Ham and Sausage Products in Korea vol.32, pp.1, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2012.32.1.118
- Analysis of HACCP System Implementation on Productivity, Advantage and Disadvantage of Laying Hen Farm in Korea vol.41, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2014.41.2.93
- A Study on the Field Application through the Improvement of Scoring System for HACCP Evaluation Items of Cattle Farm vol.26, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11625/KJOA.2018.26.4.759