- Volume 10 Issue 3
This paper presents a novel hybrid carrier based space vector modulation for cascaded multilevel inverters. The proposed technique inherits the properties of carrier based space vector modulation and the fundamental frequency modulation strategy. The main characteristic of this modulation are the reduction of power loss, and improved harmonic performance. The carrier based space vector modulation algorithm is implemented with a TMS320F2407 digital signal processor. A Xilinx Complex Programmable Logic Device is used to develop the hybrid PWM control algorithm and it is integrated with a digital signal processor for hybrid carrier based space vector PWM generation. The inverter offers less weighted total harmonic distortion and it operates with equal electrostatic and electromagnetic stress among the power devices. The feasibility of the proposed technique is verified by spectral analysis, simulation, and experimental results.
Cascaded multilevel inverter;Carrier based space vector modulation;Digital signal processor;Power loss analysis;Weighted total harmonic distortion
- J. Rodrguez, J. S. Lai, and F. Z. Peng, "Multilevel inverters: A survey of topologies, controls and applications," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 49, No. 4, pp.724–738, Aug. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2002.801052
- D. G. Holmes and B. P. McGrath, "Opportunities for harmonic cancellation with carrier based PWM for two-level and multi-level cascaded inverters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Applicat, Vol. 37, pp. 574–582, Mar. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.913724
- V.G. Agelidis, A. Balouktsis, I. Balouktsis, and C. Cossar, "Multiple sets of solutions for harmonic elimination PWM bipolar waveforms: Analysis and experimental verification," IEEE Trans. Power Electronics,Vol. 21, No. 2, pp.415–421, Mar. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2005.869752
- B. P. McGrath and D. G. Holmes, "Multicarrier PWM strategies for multilevel inverters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 49, No.4, pp. 858–867, Aug. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2002.801073
- M.D. Manjrekar and T.A. Lipo, "A Hybrid Multilevel Inverter Topology for Drive Applications," IEEE APEC, Anaheim, California, pp. 523-529, Feb. 1998.
- M.D. Manjrekar and T.A. Lipo, "A Generalized Structure of Multilevel Power Converter," IEEE PEDES, Perth, Australia, pp. 62-67, Dec. 1998.
- M.D. Manjrekar, P. Steimer and T.A. Lipo, "Hybrid Multilevel Power Conversion System - A Competitive Solution for High Power Applications," IEEE Trans. on Ind.Appli., Vol. 36, No. 3, pp. 834-841, May/Jun. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.845059
- A. Gupta and A. Khambadkone, "A space vector PWM scheme for multilevel inverters based on two-level space vector PWM," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron.,Vol. 53, No.5, pp. 1631–1639, Oct. 2006 . https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2006.881989
- Y. Lee, D. Kim, and D. Hyun, "Carrier based SVPWM method for multilevel system with reduced HDF," in Proc. IEEE IAS Annu. Meeting, pp. 1996–2003, 2000.
- B. P. McGrath, D. G. Holmes, and T. Lipo, "Optimized space vector switching sequences for multilevel inverters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol.18, No. 6, pp. 1293–1301, Nov. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2003.818827
- D. G. Holmes and T. A. Lipo, Pulse Width Modulation for power converters, Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2003.
- J. Kim, D.W. Kang, Y.H. Lee, D.S. Hyun, "The analysis of conduction and switching losses in multilevel inverter system," in proc. Of the 32th Power Electronics Specialists Conference and Applications, pp.1363- 1368, 2001.
- Experimental Validation of a Cascaded Single Phase H-Bridge Inverter with a Simplified Switching Algorithm vol.14, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2014.14.3.507
- Sequential Switching Hybrid Single-carrier Sinusoidal Modulation for Cascaded Multi-level Inverter vol.39, pp.4, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1080/15325008.2010.528531
- Efficient Sequential Switching Hybrid-Modulation Techniques for Cascaded Multilevel Inverters vol.26, pp.6, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2089064
- New Three-Phase Multilevel Inverter with Shared Power Switches vol.13, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2013.13.5.787