- Volume 35 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Map-based Variable Rate Application of Nitrogen Using a Multi-Spectral Image Sensor
멀티스펙트랄 이미지 센서를 이용한 전자 지도 기반 변량 질소 살포
- Noh, Hyun-Kwon (Dept. of Biosystems Engineering, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Zhang, Qin (Washington State Uinversity, Dept. of Biological Systems Eng)
- 노현권 ;
- Received : 2009.11.13
- Accepted : 2010.03.30
- Published : 2010.04.25
Site-specific N application for corn is one of the precision crop management. To implement the site-specific N application, various nitrogen stress sensing methods, including aerial image, tissue analysis, soil sampling analysis, and SPAD meter readings, have been used. Use of side-dressing, an efficient nitrogen application method than a uniform application in either late fall or early spring, relies mainly on the capability of nitrogen deficiency detection. This paper presents map-based variable rate nitrogen application based using a multi-spectral corn nitrogen deficiency(CND) sensor. This sensor assess the nitrogen stress by means of the estimated SPAD reading calculated from the corn leave reflectance. The estimated SPAD value from the CND sensor system and location information form DGPS of each field block was combined into the field map using a ArcView program. Then this map was converted into a raster file for a map-based variable rate application software. The relative SPAD (RSPAD = SPAD over reference SPAD) was investigated 2 weeks after the treatments. The results showed that the map-based variable rate application system was feasible.
- Gitelson, A. A., Y. J. Kaufman and M. N. Merzlyak. 1997. Remote sensing of pigment content in higher plants: principles and techniques. In Proceedings 3rd International Airborne Remote Sensing Conference and Exhibition. pp. 657-664. Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Noh, H., Q. Zhang, B. Shin, S. Han and D. Reum. 2005. Dynamic calibration and image segmentation methods for multi -spectral imaging crop nitrogen deficiency sensors. Transactions of the ASAE 48(1):393-401. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.17933
- Piekielek, W. L. and R. H. Fox. 1992. Use of chlorophyll meter to predict sidedress nitrogen requirements for maize. Agronomy Journal 84(1):59-65. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1992.00021962008400010013x
- Schepers, J. S., M. G. Moravek, E. E. Alberts and K. D. Frank. 1991. Maize production impacts on groundwater quality. Journal of Environmental Quality 20(1):12-16. https://doi.org/10.2134/jeq1991.00472425002000010004x
- Thorp, K. R., L. T., Haibo Yao and Lie Tang. 2002. Development of vegetation indices for hyperspectral data. ASAE Paper No. 02-1077. ASAE, St. Joseph, MI. USA.
- Van Es, H. M. and N. M. Trautmann. 1990. Pesticide management for water quality: principles and practices. Available at: http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/facts-slide s-self/facts/pestmgt-waterqual- 90.html.
- Waskom, R. M., D. G. Westfall, D. E. Spellman and P. N. Soltanpour, 1996. Monitoring nitrogen status of corn with a portable chlorophyll meter. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 27(3&4):545-560. https://doi.org/10.1080/00103629609369576