- Volume 19 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Characteristics of Non-Point Pollution from Road Surface Runoff
- Lee, Chun-Sik (Department of Environmental Engineering, Jinju National University) ;
- Jang, Seong-Ho (Department of Regional Environmental System Engineering, Pusan National University)
- Received : 2010.03.09
- Accepted : 2010.04.12
- Published : 2010.06.30
Pollutants from urban pavement consists various kinds of substances which are originated from dry deposition, a grind out tire, corrosive action of rain to pavement and facilities and raw materials of the road etc.. These are major pollutants of urban NPS (Non-point source) during rainfall period. However there is not enough information to control such pollutants for appropriate management of natural water quality. In this study of transportation areas, three monitoring stations were set up at trunk road, urban highway and national road in Gyeongnam province. Runoff flow rate was measured at every 15minutes by automatic flow meters installed at the end of storm sewer pipe within the road catchment area for water quality analysis. Data was collected every 15 minutes for initial two hours of rainfall. Additional samples were collected 1-4 hours interval till the end of rainfall. The monitoring parameters were
NPS(Non-point source);EMC(Event mean concentration);Runoff flow;Rainfall;Pollutant loads
- Berretta, C., Gnecco, I., Lanza, L. G., La Barbera, P., 2007, Hydrologic influence on stormwater pollution at two urban monitoring sites, Urban Water J., 4(2), 107-117. https://doi.org/10.1080/15730620701234460
- Berretta, C., Gnecco, I., Lanza, L. G., La Barbera, P., 2007, An investigation of wash-off controlling parameters at urban and commercial monitoring sites, Water sci. & Tech., 56(12), 77-84. https://doi.org/10.2166/wst.2007.756
- Kim, L. H., Jeong, S. M., Ko, S. O., 2007, Determination of first flush criteria using dynamic EMCs on highway stormwater runoff, Water Sci. & Tech., 55(3), 71-77. https://doi.org/10.2166/wst.2007.074
- Lee, C. S., Seo, G. T., Lee, J. H., Yoon, Y. S., You, J. J. Sin, C. K., 2008, Long term monitoring of storm surface runoff from urban pavement road in Korea, Env. Eng. Research, 13(4), 184-191. https://doi.org/10.4491/eer.2008.13.4.184
- Mangani, G., Berloni, A., Bellucci, F., Tatano F., Maione, M., 2005, Evaluation of the pollutant in road runoff first flush waters, Water, Air and Soil Pollution 160, 213-228. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11270-005-2887-9
- Nakdonggang Watershed Management Committee, 2007, A long term monitoring and BMPs for the non-point sources discharge, 33-68.
- Park, H., Hyun, I. H., Park, C. H., 1998, Needs and options of Korea for integrated water management, J. of Water Services Research and Technology-Aqua, 47(2), 57-67. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2087.1998.00083.x
- Sansalone, J. J., Cristina, C. M., 2004, First flush concept for suspended and dissolved solids in small impervious watershed, J. Environ. Eng., 130(11), 1301-1314. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9372(2004)130:11(1301)
- Sansalone, J. J., koran, J. M., Smithson, J. A., Buchberger, S. G., 1998, Physical characteristics of urban roadway solids transported during rain events, J. Environ. Eng., 124(5), 427-440. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9372(1998)124:5(427)
- UN Environment Program, 2004, GEO Year book 2003. United Nations, New York, 35-44.
- USEPA, National water quality inventory, 1994, Report to Congress, EPA841-R-95-005, USEPA Office of Water, Washington D.C., 21-29.