- Volume 4 Issue 5
In order to develop an obesity management program for teenagers, we compared obese and non-obese girls attending high schools in terms of their dietary practices related to snack consumption. Dietary records were collected for 7 days. No significant differences were found for the average daily energy intake between obese and non-obese girls. However, the highest energy intake was greater for obese girls while not much difference was found for the lowest amount of energy intake. Obese girls had significantly lower intakes in calcium (P < 0.01), vitamin A (P < 0.001) and folate (P < 0.01). Mean energy intake from snack (
Obesity;snack consumption;daily variation;energy intake;adolescents
- Ogden CL, Flegal KM, Carroll MD, Johnson CL. Prevalence and trends in overweight among US children and adolescents 1999-2000. JAMA 2002;288:1728-32. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.288.14.1728
- Kang YJ. The prevalence of childhood and adolescent obesity over the last 18 years in Seoul Area. The Korean Journal of Nutrition 1997;30:832-9.
- Park J, Hilmers DC, Mendoza JA, Stuff JE, Liu Y, Nicklas TA. Prevalence of metabolic syndrome and obesity in adolescents aged 12 to 19 years: comparison between the United States and Korea. Journal of Korean Medical Science 2010;25:75-82. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2010.25.1.75
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. Report on 2005 National health and nutritional survey. Seoul: 2006.
- Bowman SA, Vinyard BT. Fast food consumption of U.S. Adults: impact on energy and nutrient intakes and overweight status. J Am Coll Nutr 2004;23:163-8.
- Nicklas TA, Yang SJ, Baranowski T, Zakeri I, Berenson G. Eating patterns and obesity in children. The Bogalusa Heart Study. Am J Prev Med 2003;25:9-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-3797(03)00098-9
- Carlson A, Gerrior S. Food source makes a difference in diet quality. J Nutr Educ Behav 2006;38:238-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneb.2006.04.148
- Townsend MS, Aaron GJ, Monsivais P, Keim NL, Drewnowski A. Less-energy-dense diets of low-income women in California are associated with higher energy-adjusted diet costs. Am J Clin Nutr 2009;89:1220-6. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.2008.26916
- Shemilt I, Harvey I, Shepstone L, Swift L, Reading R, Mugford M, Belderson P, Norris N, Thoburn J, Robinson J. A National evaluation of school breakfast clubs: evidence from a cluster randomized controlled trial and an observational analysis. Child Care Health Dev 2004;30:413-27. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2214.2004.00453.x
- Lee MS, Sung JS, Sung MK, Choi MK, Lee YS, Cho KO. A comparative study on food habits and nutrient intakes among high school students with different obesity indexes residing in Seoul and Kyunggi-do. Korean Journal of Community Nutrition 2000;5:141-51.
- Park JA, Yoon JS. Dietary behaviors and status of nutrient intakes by the obesity levels of housewives in Daegu. Korean Journal of Community Nutrition 2005;10:623-32.
- The Korean Nutrition Society. Dietary Reference Intakes for Koreans; 2005.
- Bandini LG, Schoeller DA, Cyr HN, Dietz WH. Validity of reported energy intake in obese and nonobese adolescents. Am J Clin Nutr 1990;52:421-5.
- Champagne CM, Baker NB, DeLany JP, Harsha DW, Bray GA. Assessment of energy intake underreporting by doubly labeled water and observations on reported nutrient intakes in children. J Am Diet Assoc 1998;98:426-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(98)00097-2
- Singh R, Martin BR, Hickey Y, Teegarden D, Campbell WW, Craig BA, Schoeller DA, Kerr DA, Weaver CM. Comparison of self-reported, measured, metabolizable energy intake with total energy expenditure in overweight teens. Am J Clin Nutr 2009; 89:1744-50. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.2008.26752
- Drummond S, Crombie N, Kirk T. A critique of the effects of snacking on body weight status. Eur J Clin Nutr 1996;50:779-83.
- Woo J, Cheung B, Ho S, Sham A, Lam TH. Influence of dietary pattern on the development of overweight in a Chinese population. Eur J Clin Nutr 2008;62:480-7. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ejcn.1602702
- Kelishadi R, Pour MH, Sarraf-Zadegan N, Sadry GH, Ansari R, Alikhassy H, Bashardoust N. Obesity and associated modifiable environmental factors in Iranian adolescents: Isfahan Healthy Heart Program-Heart Health Promotion from Childhood. Pediatr Int 2003;45:435-42. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1442-200X.2003.01738.x
- Kerr MA, Rennie KL, McCaffrey TA, Wallace JM, Hannon- Fletcher MP, Livingstone MB. Snacking patterns among adolescents: a comparison of type, frequency and portion size between Britain in 1997 and Northern Ireland in 2005. Br J Nutr 2009;101: 122-31. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114508994769
- Viskaal-van Dongen M, Kok FJ, de Graaf C. Effects of snack consumption for 8 weeks on energy intake and body weight. Int J Obes (Lond) 2010;34:319-26. https://doi.org/10.1038/ijo.2009.243
- de Graaf C. Effects of snacks on energy intake: an evolutionary perspective. Appetite 2006;47:18-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2006.02.007
- Bezerra IN, Sichieri R. Eating out of home and obesity: a Brazilian nationwide survey. Public Health Nutr 2009;12:2037-43. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980009005710
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. In-depth analysis on the 3rd (2005) Korea Health and Nutrition Examination Survey-Nutrition Survey. Seoul: 2006.
- Comparison of the dietary intake and clinical characteristics of obese and normal weight adults vol.5, pp.4, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2011.5.4.329
- Association of parents' nutritional status, and sociodemographic and dietary factors with overweight/obesity in schoolchildren 7 to 14 years old vol.28, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1590/S0102-311X2012000200008
Supported by : Korea Research Foundation