- Volume 4 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effects of caloric restriction with varying energy density and aerobic exercise on weight change and satiety in young female adults
- Song, Sae-Won ;
- Bae, Yoon-Jung ;
- Lee, Dae-Taek
- Received : 2010.04.02
- Accepted : 2010.09.20
- Published : 2010.10.31
This study examines the combined effects of caloric restriction on body composition, blood lipid, and satiety in slightly overweight women by varying food density and aerobic exercise. Twenty-three women were randomly assigned to one of two groups for a four-week weight management program: the high-energy density diet plus exercise (HDE: n = 12,
Low calorie diet;weight management;energy density;satiety
- Haskell WL, Lee IM, Pate RR, Powell KE, Blair SN, Franklin BA, Macera CA, Heath GW, Thompson PD, Bauman A. Physical activity and public health: updated recommendation for adults from the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Heart Association. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2007;39:1423-34. https://doi.org/10.1249/mss.0b013e3180616b27
- Ogden CL, Carroll MD, Curtin LR, McDowell MA, Tabak CJ, Flegal KM. Prevalence of overweight and obesity in the United States, 1999-2004. JAMA 2006;295:1549-55. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.295.13.1549
- American College of Sports Medicine Position Stand. Appropriate physical activity intervention strategies for weight loss and prevention of weight regain for adults. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2009;41:459-71.
- Makris AP, Foster GD. Dietary approaches to the treatment of obesity. Psychiatr Clin North Am 2005;28:117-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psc.2004.11.001
- Bell EA, Rolls BJ. Energy density of foods affects energy intake across multiple levels of fat content in lean and obese women. Am J Clin Nutr 2001;73:1010-8.
- Duncan KH, Bacon JA, Weinsier RL. The effects of high and low energy density diets on satiety, energy intake, and eating time of obese and nonobese subjects. Am J Clin Nutr 1983; 37:763-7.
- Rolls BJ, Bell EA, Castellanos VH, Chow M, Pelkman CL, Thorwart ML. Energy density but not fat content of foods affected energy intake in lean and obese women. Am J Clin Nutr 1999;69:863-71.
- Leser MS, Yanovski SZ, Yanovski JA. A low-fat intake and greater activity level are associated with lower weight regain 3 years after completing a very-low-calorie diet. J Am Diet Assoc 2002;102:1252-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(02)90277-4
- Wing RR, Hill JO. Successful weight loss maintenance. Annu Rev Nutr 2001;21:323-41. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.nutr.21.1.323
- Elfhag K, Rossner S. Who succeeds in maintaining weight loss? A conceptual review of factors associated with weight loss maintenance and weight regain. Obes Rev 2005;6:67-85. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2005.00170.x
- Schoeller DA, Shay K, Kushner RF. How much physical activity is needed to minimize weight gain in previously obese women? Am J Clin Nutr 1997;66:551-6.
- Pate RR, Pratt M, Blair SN, Haskell WL, Macera CA, Bouchard C, Buchner D, Ettinger W, Heath GW, King AC, et al. Physical activity and public health. A recommendation from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the American College of Sports Medicine. JAMA 1995;273:402-7. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.273.5.402
- Evans EM, Saunders MJ, Spano MA, Arngrimsson SA, Lewis RD, Cureton KJ. Effects of diet and exercise on the density and composition of the fat-free mass in obese women. Med Sci Sports Exerc 1999;31:1778-87. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005768-199912000-00013
- Janssen I, Fortier A, Hudson R, Ross R. Effects of an energy-restrictive diet with or without exercise on abdominal fat, intermuscular fat, and metabolic risk factors in obese women. Diabetes Care 2002;25:431-8. https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.25.3.431
- Curioni CC, Lourenco PM. Long-term weight loss after diet and exercise: a systematic review. Int J Obes (Lond) 2005;29:1168-74. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0803015
- Ello-Martin JA, Roe LS, Ledikwe JH, Beach AM, Rolls BJ. Dietary energy density in the treatment of obesity: a year-long trial comparing 2 weight-loss diets. Am J Clin Nutr 2007;85: 1465-77.
- Rolls BJ, Drewnowski A, Ledikwe JH. Changing the energy density of the diet as a strategy for weight management. J Am Diet Assoc 2005;105:S98-103.
- Kral TV, Rolls BJ. Energy density and portion size: their independent and combined effects on energy intake. Physiol Behav 2004;82:131-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physbeh.2004.04.063
- Poppitt SD, Prentice AM. Energy density and its role in the control of food intake: evidence from metabolic and community studies. Appetite 1996;26:153-74. https://doi.org/10.1006/appe.1996.0013
- Yao M, Roberts SB. Dietary energy density and weight regulation. Nutr Rev 2001;59:247-58.
- Bell EA, Castellanos VH, Pelkman CL, Thorwart ML, Rolls BJ. Energy density of foods affects energy intake in normal-weight women. Am J Clin Nutr 1998;67:412-20.
- Lanza E, Schatzkin A, Daston C, Corle D, Freedman L, Ballard-Barbash R, Caan B, Lance P, Marshall J, Iber F, Shike M, Weissfeld J, Slattery M, Paskett E, Mateski D, Albert P. Implementation of a 4-y, high-fiber, high-fruit-and-vegetable, low-fat dietary intervention: results of dietary changes in the Polyp Prevention Trial. Am J Clin Nutr 2001;74:387-401.
- Friedewald WT, Levy RI, Fredrickson DS. Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge. Clin Chem 1972;18:499-502.
- Ainsworth BE, Haskell WL, Leon AS, Jacobs DR Jr, Montoye HJ, Sallis JF, Paffenbarger RS Jr. Compendium of physical activities: classification of energy costs of human physical activities. Med Sci Sports Exerc 1993;25:71-80. https://doi.org/10.1249/00005768-199301000-00011
- Du H, van der A DL, Ginder V, Jebb SA, Forouhi NG, Wareham NJ, Halkjaer J, Tjønneland A, Overvad K, Jakobsen MU, Buijsse B, Steffen A, Palli D, Masala G, Saris WH, Sørensen TI, Feskens EJ. Dietary energy density in relation to subsequent changes of weight and waist circumference in European men and women. PLoS One 2009;4:e5339. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0005339
- Stubbs RJ, Johnstone AM, O'Reilly LM, Barton K, Reid C. The effect of covertly manipulating the energy density of mixed diets on ad libitum food intake in 'pseudo free-living' humans. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 1998;22:980-7. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0800715
- Hung HC, Joshipura KJ, Jiang R, Hu FB, Hunter D, Smith-Warner SA, Colditz GA, Rosner B, Spiegelman D, Willett WC. Fruit and vegetable intake and risk of major chronic disease. J Natl Cancer Inst 2004;96:1577-84. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djh296
- Liu S, Manson JE, Lee IM, Cole SR, Hennekens CH, Willett WC, Buring JE. Fruit and vegetable intake and risk of cardiovascular disease: the Women's Health Study. Am J Clin Nutr 2000;72:922-8.
- Trabulsi J, Schoeller DA. Evaluation of dietary assessment instruments against doubly labeled water, a biomarker of habitual energy intake. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2001;281:E891-9.
- Kristal AR, Andrilla CH, Koepsell TD, Diehr PH, Cheadle A. Dietary assessment instruments are susceptible to interventionassociated response set bias. J Am Diet Assoc 1998;98:40-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(98)00012-1
- Maskarinec G, Robbins C, Riola B, Kane-Sample L, Franke AA, Murphy S. Three measures show high compliance in a soy intervention among premenopausal women. J Am Diet Assoc 2003;103:861-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(03)00377-8
- Fitzwater SL, Weinsier RL, Wooldridge NH, Birch R, Liu C, Bartolucci AA. Evaluation of long-term weight changes after a multidisciplinary weight control program. J Am Diet Assoc 1991;91:421-9.
- Flood A, Mitchell N, Jaeb M, Finch EA, Laqua PS, Welsh EM, Hotop A, Langer SL, Levy RL, Jeffery RW. Energy density and weight change in a long-term weight-loss trial. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 2009;6:57. https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-6-57
- Christ M, Iannello C, Iannello PG, Grimm W. Effects of a weight reduction program with and without aerobic exercise in the metabolic syndrome. Int J Cardiol 2004;97:115-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcard.2004.01.034
- Greene LF, Malpede CZ, Henson CS, Hubbert KA, Heimburger DC, Ard JD. Weight maintenance 2 years after participation in a weight loss program promoting low-energy density foods. Obesity 2006;14:1795-801. https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2006.207
- Pasman WJ, Saris WH, Westerterp-Plantenga MS. Predictors of weight maintenance. Obes Res 1999;7:43-50. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1550-8528.1999.tb00389.x
- Astrup A, Grunwald GK, Melanson EL, Saris WH, Hill JO. The role of low-fat diets in body weight control: a meta-analysis of ad libitum dietary intervention studies. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2000;24:1545-52. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0801453
- pilot study vol.21, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1177/0260106012459994
- Densidade energética da dieta e fatores associados: como está a população de São Paulo? vol.56, pp.9, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1590/S0004-27302012000900007
- Diet quality of adults using intuitive eating for weight loss – pilot study vol.22, pp.3-4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1177/0260106015601943
- Poor quality of external validity reporting limits generalizability of overweight and/or obesity lifestyle prevention interventions in young adults: a systematic review vol.16, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/obr.12233
- Strategies for successful recruitment of young adults to healthy lifestyle programmes for the prevention of weight gain: a systematic review vol.17, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/obr.12350
- Effectiveness of lifestyle interventions for preventing harmful weight gain among young adults from lower socioeconomic status and ethnically diverse backgrounds: a systematic review pp.14677881, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/obr.12641
- Energy Density, Energy Intake, and Body Weight Regulation in Adults vol.5, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3945/an.114.007112
- Impact of a 12-week high-intensity interval training without caloric restriction on body composition and lipid profile in sedentary healthy overweight/obese youth vol.14, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.12965/jer.1835124.562
Supported by : UCN