- Volume 4 Issue 5
With the increase in multi-cultural families, Korea is seeing a rapid increase in immigrated housewives, who are closely related to food culture. However, studies for the diet of multi-cultural families, which is most closely related to our lives have not been sufficiently researched. With this background, this study conducted research for immigrated women nationwide about food cultures to provide the possibility which Korean food culture would be developed harmoniously with various foreign food cultures. In this study, the immigrated women seemed to have adapted to Korean food culture quickly, but they showed differences according to some conditions like countries they are from and the time they have been in Korea. To achieve this, we need to conduct consistent and in depth studies for food cultures in multi-cultural families so that we can make healthy development in food culture, harmonious with traditional Korean culture.
Multi-cultural family;immigrated housewives;dietary patterns;Korean cuisine
- Joo NM, Kennon LR, Sim YJ, Lee KA, Jeong HS, Park SJ, Chun HJ. The Perception and preference of Americans residing in Korea for Korean traditional food. Journal of the Korea Home Economics Association 2001;39:19-23.
- Park US. Factors of food adaptation and changes of food habit on Koreans residing in America. Journal of the Korean Society of Dietary Culture 1997;12:519-29.
- Helen HG, Marjorie BW, Gail GH. Nutrition, Behavior and change. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall; 1972.
- Carpo RH. Cultural anthropology; Understanding ourselves and other (3rd ed.). Guilford, CT: Dushkin publishing group; 1993.
- Lim HS, Park MO, Lee SH. A study on the trends of food service culture and the direction for the development [master's thesis]. Seoul: Jangan University; 2007.
- Kang DW. A Study for advancing into European market of Korean cuisine & the comparison between Korean cuisine culture and European cuisine culture. The Korean Journal of Culinary Research 2003;9:88-101.
- Chung SS. Dietary change-food habits of Koreans in new haven [Doctor's thesis]. New England: The University of Connecticut; 1995.
- Lee HK. Food habits of Koreans in United States [Doctor's thesis]. New York: New York University; 1997.
- Sim YJ, Jung BM, Kim ES, Joo NM. A survey for the international spread of Korean food from the Korean residens in the U.S. Korean Journal of Food and Cookery Science 2000;16:210-5.
- Jung YW, Lee SB. A Study on the application of multicultural cuisine to Korean food -focused on western preferences. Korean Journal of Hospitality Administration 2008;17:157-79.
- Cha MA. Study on structural characteristics of Korea's food culture. Journal of Kyonggi Tourism Research 1998:173-90.
- Cho Han HJ. Modernity, Popular Culture and East - West Identity Formation: A discourse analysis of Korean wave in Asia. Korean Cultural Anthropology 2002;35:3-40.
- Park SK. International trade of Korean Wave [master's thesis]. Seoul: Ewha Woman's University; 2010. p.2.
- Korea National Statistical Office. 2009 woman's life based on statistics - changes of international marriages; 2009. p.9.
- Han JS, Huh SM, Kim MH. American's acceptance of Korean foods. Journal of Resource Development 1995;14:93-9.
- Han JS, Kim JS, Kim SY, Kim MS. A survey of Japanese perception of and preference for Korean foods. Korean Journal of Food and Cookery Science 1998;14:188-94.
- Seo KH, Lee SB, Shin MJ. Research on Korean Food Preference and the Improvement of Korean Restaurants for Japanese and Chinese Students in Korea. Korean Journal of Food and Cookery Science 2003;19:715-22.
- Kuak DH. Research to ingestion of food and an attitude from food and drink of Multicultural family [master's thesis]. Seoul: Wosong University; 2008. p.53-64.
- Jang BS. A Study on dietary life of female marriage immigrants [master's thesis]. Seoul: Kyunghee University; 2009. p.20-1.
- Lee SU. Association between stress, and nutritional and health status of female immigrants to Korea in multi-cultural families [master's thesis]. Seoul: Ewha Women's University; 2009. p.10-40.
- Kang HJ. Immigrant Women's desire for expressing and preserving the mother culture and their identity [master's thesis]. Seoul: Sookmyung Women's University; 2007. p.46-7.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. 2007 KNHANEX's analysis of research on nutrition, Ministry of Health, Welfare and Family affairs. Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANEXS); 2008.
- Kim KT. A study on Vietnamese food culture. Southeast Asia Institute 1996; p.129-68.
- Cho HK. A study on Thai food culture. The Korean Ethnological Association 2000;4:205-33.
- Bae YH, Jinlin Z. Marketing strategy for Korean restaurants in florida -through view of customers' preference, recognition and satisfaction. Journal of Food service Management 2003;6:85-100.
- Han YH. Influential factor on Korean dietary life and eating behaviour of female marriage immigrants [master's thesis]. Seoul: Hanyang University; 2010. p.54.
- Sim YH. The adoption process and transnational identity of international marriage women. Women's Institute of Hanyang University; 2008.
- Study of Dietary Attitudes and Diet Management of Married Immigrant Women in Korea according to Residence Period vol.18, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.14373/JKDA.2012.18.4.297
- Selection Attributes of Korean Restaurants Based on the Level of Involvement Using Conjoint Analysis vol.29, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2013.29.5.553
- Three Families-One Street: A Study of Culture, Food, and Consumption in East London vol.41, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1111/fcsr.12021
- Korean Food Acculturation Phenomena of Married Immigrant Women and Their Children’s Eating Habits vol.30, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7318/KJFC/2015.30.5.545
- Development of a Korean Food Culture Education Textbook for Married Female Immigrants vol.21, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2016.21.5.415
- Analysis of Korean Dietary Life Adaptation of Married Female Immigrants vol.22, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2017.22.2.103
- Consumption of Han-sik and its Association with Socioeconomic Status among Filipino Immigrant Women: the Filipino Women's Diet and Health Study (FiLWHEL) vol.23, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2018.23.6.475