- Volume 4 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of the health status of preschool children stratified based on the weight-length index (WLI)
- Shin, Kyung-Ok (Department of Food & Nutrition, Sahmyook University) ;
- Chung, Keun-Hee (Department of Food & Nutrition, Sahmyook University) ;
- Park, Hyun-Suh (Department of Food & Nutrition, Kyunghee University)
- Received : 2010.02.17
- Accepted : 2010.10.01
- Published : 2010.10.31
This study was conducted to prepare basic materials and offer advice regarding dietary habits to prevent and cure childhood obesity by comparing and analyzing dietary habit, nutritional status, blood factors, and mineral contents of hair. All subjects were stratified by their weight-length index (WLI). According to the standard WLI values, 64.9% of children were within the normal value, 13.5% of children were underweight, and 21.6% of children were overweight and obese (WLI
WLI;nutrient intakes;blood parameters;hair mineral
- Nam HW, Um YS, Chung EJ. A comparative study on dietary attitudes and nutritional status of preschoolers in different income levels in Seoul and Kyunggido. The Korean Journal of Dietary Culture 1998;13:405-14.
- Brich LL. The role of experience in children's food acceptance patterns. J Am Diet Assoc 1987;87;S36-40.
- Kim YK, Chyun JH. Food habits and its relation to the obesity of preschool children living in urban area. The Korean Journal of Dietary Culture 2000;15:349-60.
- Kim SK, Kim HJ. Comparison of the blood lipids, insulin and nutrients intake by fat distribution of obese male in Korea. The Korean Journal of Nutrition 1998;31:72-9.
- Mossberg HO. 40-year follow-up of overweight children. Lancet 1989;2:491-93.
- Maffeis C. Aetiology of overweight and obesity in children and adolescents. Eur J Pediatr 2000;159:S35-44. https://doi.org/10.1007/PL00014361
- Steinberger J, Steffen L, Jacobs DR Jr, Moran A, Hong CP, Sinaiko AR. Relation of leptin to insulin resistance syndrome in children. Obes Res 2003;11:1124-30. https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2003.153
- Lee JS, Lee JY, Lim HJ, Cho MR, Choue R. Comparisons of anthropometric measurements, body fat, blood parameters and nutrients intakes in over- and desirable-body weight school children. Journal of Korean Dietetic Association 2003;9:316-25.
- Kim JH, Kim BH, Kim K, Son SM, Mo SM, Choi HM. A study on food according to obesity index of elementary school children in high socioeconomic apartment complex in Seoul. The Korean Journal of Dietary Culture 1993;8:275-87.
- Kim KA, Kwun IS, Kwon CS. Potential relationship between obesity and risk for coronary heart disease in Kyungbuk area. The Korean Journal of Nutrition 2001;34:664-70.
- Ahn HS, Park JK, Lee DH, Paik IK Lee JH, Lee YJ. Clinical and nutritional examination in obese children and adolescents. The Korean Journal of Nutrition 1994;27:79-89.
- Choi SH, Kim KB, Park SK, Jeoung JT, Son CS, Dokgo YC. The study of serum lipids in grossly obeses elementary school students in Seoul. Korean Journal of Pediatrics 1993;36:73-80.
- Robertson SM, Cullen KW, Baranowski J, Baranowski T, Hu S, de Moor C. Factors related to adiposity among children aged 3 to 7 years. J Am Diet Assoc 1999;99:938-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(99)00224-2
- He Q, Ding ZY, Fong DYT, Karlberg J. Risk factors of obesity in preschool children in china : a population-based case-control study. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2000;24:1528-36. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0801394
- Park JN, Kim KH, Lee SS. A study of factors affecting bone mineral density in children : Anthropometric measurements, socioeconomic factors, family history and other environmental factors. The Korean Journal of Nutrition 2004;37:52-60.
- Lee JH, Chae JS, Koh SJ, Kang SM, Choi DH, Jang YS. Caloric restrictions vs testosterone treatment: the effect on body fat distribution and serum lipid levels in overweight male patients with coronary artery disease. The Korean Journal of Nutrition 2003;36:924-32.
- Anuurad E, Shiwaku K, Nogi A, Kitajima K, Enkhmaa B, Shimono K, Yamane Y. The new BMI criteria for asians by the regional office for the western pacific region of WHO are suitable for screening of overweight to prevent metabolic syndrome in elder Japanese workers. J Occup Health 2003;45:335-43. https://doi.org/10.1539/joh.45.335
- Bayles B. Perceptions of childhood obesity on the Texas-Mexico border. Public Health Nurs 2010;27:320-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1525-1446.2010.00861.x
- Christian P. Maternal height and risk of child mortality and undernutrition. JAMA 2010;303:1539-40. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2010.469
- Maddah M, Shahraki T, Shahraki M. Underweight and overweight among children in Zahedan, south-east Iran. Public Health Nutr 2010;13:1519-21. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980010000388
- Park HS, Shin KO. Hair zinc and lead : Relationship to nutrient intake and height and body weight in Korean preschool children. The Korean Journal of Nutrition 2004;37:193-201.
- Kim WY, Cho MS, Lee HS. Development and validation of mini dietary assessment index for Koreans. The Korean Journal of Nutrition 2003;36:83-92.
- Lim Y, Oh SY. Development of a semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire for preschool children in Korea. The Korean Journal of Community Nutrition 2002;7:58-66.
- The Korean Nutrition Society. Dietary Reference Intakes for Koreans. Seoul, Korea; 2006.
- Kadar N, Caldwell BV, Romero R. A method of screening for ectopic pregnancy and its indications. Obstet Gynecol 1981;58: 162-6.
- Persijn JP, van der Slik W, Riethorst A. Determination of serum iron and latent iron-binding capacity(LIBC). Clin Chim Acta 1971;35:91-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-8981(71)90298-1
- Kim YG, Kim NS, Song JG. Effect of long term aerobic exercise on blood pressure, blood lipids and hematological parameters in elderly women over 65 years old. The Korean Journal of Exercise Nutrition 2003;7:235-40.
- Parvin R, Pande SV, Venkitasubramanian TA. On the colorimetric biuret method of protein determination. Anal Biochem 1965;12: 219-29. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(65)90085-0
- World Health Organization. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey III U.S.A 47 (RR-3); 1998. p.1-25.
- Moon HK, Chung HR, Song BH, Park HR. Factors related to infant growth in low-income households. Journal of the Korean Public Health Association 1991;17:118-29.
- Korea centers for disease control and prevention and Korean Institute for Health and Social Affairs. In-depth Analyses of the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: the Health Interview and Health Attitude Survey Part. (Korean); 2007.
- Yum KS, Yoon EY, Kim CI, Kim KT, Mo SM, Choi HM. Eating behavior obesity and serum lipid levels in children. The Korean Journal of Nutrition 1993;26:56-66.
- Cheng TO. Childhood obesity in China. Health Place 2004;10: 395-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healthplace.2004.08.007
- Iwata F, Hara M, Okada T, Harada K, Li S. Body fat ratios in urban Chinese children. Pediatr Int 2003;45:190-2. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1442-200X.2003.01688.x
- Kim IK, Kang JH, Song JH. Serum leptin levels and changes in body weight and obesity index in Gwacheon elementary school children. The Korean Journal of Nutrition 2007;40:736-44.
- Must A, Strauss RS. Risks and consequences of childhood and adolescent obesity. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 1999;23: S2-11.
- Moon HK, Jung HJ, Park SY. Indicators of nutritional status on the basis of preschool children's growth. The Korean Journal of Community Nutrition 1998;3:3-11.
- Park JK, Ahn HS, Lee DH. Nutrient intake and eating behavior in mid and severely obese children. The Korean Journal of Obesity 1995;4:43-50.
- Kerrey E, Crispin S, Fox HM, Kies C. Nutritional status of preschool children : I. Dietary and biochemical findings. Am J Clin Nutr 1968;21:1274-9.
- Gibson EL, Wardle J, Watts CJ. Fruit and vegetable consumption, nutritional knowledge and belief in mother and children. Appetite 1998;31:205-28. https://doi.org/10.1006/appe.1998.0180
- Fisher JO, Mitchell DC, Smiciklas-Wright H, Birch LL. Parental influences on young girls' fruit and vegetable, micronutrient and fat intakes. J Am Diet Assoc 2002;102:58-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(02)90017-9
- Reimer K, Smith C, Reicks M, Henry H, Thomas R, Atwell J. Child-feeding strategies of African American woman according to stage of change for fruit and vegetable consumption. Public Health Nutr 2004;7:505-12.
- Kim SH, Kim GE, Kim SY. A study on relations of obesity to the serum lipid and insulin concentrations in the elementary school children. The Korean Journal of Nutrition 1998;31:159-65.
- Zlotkin S. Clinical nutrition : 8. The role of nutrition in the prevention of iron deficiency anemia in infants, children and adolescents. CMAJ 2003;168:59-63.
- Winichagoon P. Prevention and control of anemia: Thailand experiences. J Nutr 2002;132:862S-866S.
- Cornet M, Le Hesran JY, Fievet N, Cot M, Personne P, Gounoue R, Beyeme M, Deloron P. Prevalence of and risk factors for anemia in young children in southern Cameroon. Am J Trop Med Hyg 1998;58:606-11.
- Hedberg K, Shaffer N, Davachi F, Hightower A, Lyamba B, Mbudi Paluku, Nguyen-Dinh P, Breman JG. Plasmodium falciparum-associated anaemia in children at a large urban hospital in Zaire. Am J Trop Med Hyg 1993;48:365-71.
- Premji Z, Hamisi Y, Shiff C, Minjas J, Lubega P, Makwaya C. Anemia and plasmodium falciparum infections among young children in an holoendemic area, Bagamoyo, Tanzania. Acta Trop 1995;59:55-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/0001-706X(94)00079-G
- Walter T. Effect of iron deficiency anemia on cognitive skills and neuromaturation in infancy and childhood. Food Nutr Bull 2003;24:S104-10.
- Park HS, Ahn SH. Eating habits and social behavior in Korean preschool children. The Korean Journal of Nutrition 2003;36: 298-305.
- Nowak B. Contents and relationship of elements in human hair for a non-industrialised population in Poland. Sci Total Environ 1998;209:59-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-9697(97)00298-2
- Senofonte, Violante N, Caroli S. Assessment of reference values for elements in human hair of urban schoolboys. J Trace Elem Med Biol 2000;14:6-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0946-672X(00)80017-6
- Park HS, Shin KO, Kim JS. Assessment of reference values for hair minerals of Korean preschool children. Biol Trace Elem Res 2007;116:119-30. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02685925
- Gibson RS. Content and bioavailability of trace elements in vegetarian diets. Am J Clin Nutr 1994;59:1223S-1232S.
- Kim NH, Kim JM, Kim HS, Chang NS. Effect of nutrition and exercise education on fat mass and blood lipid profile in postmenopausal obese women. The Korean Journal of Nutrition 2007;40:162-71.
- Comparison of nutrients and food intakes of young children according to lunch places: based on the fifth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey vol.51, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2018.51.3.254