- Volume 4 Issue 3
This study was performed to analyze the relationship among sebum hydration content of the skin and nutritional intake, serum antioxidant minerals and antioxidant enzymes, and lipid peroxide concentration in 50 female subjects in their 20s. The skin type was divided into Dry Skin, Mixed Skin, and Oily Skin, and the dry skin group was 14%, the mixed skin group was 56%, and the oily skin group was 30% of all subjects. The average age of the subjects was
Young female;intake;antioxidant status;hydration;sebum
- Boelsma E, Hendriks HFJ, Roza L. Nutritional skin care: health effects of micronutrients and fatty acids. Am J Clin Nutr 2001;73:853-64. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/73.5.853
- Jackson MJ. Free radicals in skin and muscle: damaging agents or signals for adaptation? Proc Nutr Soc 1999;58:673-6. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0029665199000877
- Rhie GE, Shin MH, Seo JY, Choi WW, Cho KH, Kim KH, Park KC, Eun HC, Chung JH. Aging-and photoaging-dependent changes of enzymic and nonenzymic antioxidants in the epidermis and dermis of human skin in vivo. J Invest Dermatol 2001;117: 1212-7. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.0022-202x.2001.01469.x
- Bae HS, Cho YH, KIm JY, Ahn HS. Comparison of nutrient intake and antioxidant status in female college students by skin types. Korean Journal of Community Nutrition 2006;11:63-71.
- Bogdan Allemann BI, Baumann L. Antioxidants used in skin care formulations. Skin Therapy Lett 2008;13:5-8.
- Jeon SI. Overcoming skin problems. Seoul: Academya Publishing Co.; 2007.
- Giacomoni PU. Advancement in skin aging: the future cosmeceuticals. Clin Dermatol 2008;26:364-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clindermatol.2008.01.006
- Koyama Y, Sakashita A, Kuwaba K, Kusubata M. Effects of oral ingestion of collagen peptide on the skin. J Fragr 2006;6:82-5.
- Choi G, Lee SH, Na YS. Effects of the health behavior on skin health in female university students. Journal of the Korean Society of Cosmetology 2003;9:63-70.
- Kim HJ. Skin health condition related factors and evaluation index of women in early twenties. Journal of the Korean Society of Cosmetology 2005;11:210-6.
- Seo DH, Park GS, Shin YJ. The dietary habits and preference of foods on skin types of woman college students. Korean Journal of Food Culture 2005;20:15-20.
- Hong JI, Kim JD. Health state of women's skin and relevant life style. Journal of the Korean Society of Cosmetology 2007;13: 964-75.
- Soh BH. The application of non-invasive skin bioengineering devices for measuring the skin physiology(I). Korean Edu J Aesthetics 2003;1:177-84.
- Erickson SP, McHalsky ML, Rabinow BE, Kronholm KG, Arceo CS, Weltzer JA, Ayd SW. Sampling and analysis techniques for monitoring serum for trace elements. Clin Chem 1986;32:1350-6.
- Choi MS. Body composition change and skin type in dietary habits of university students [master's thesis]. Daegu: Public Health Deagu Haany University; 2005.
- The Korean Nutrition Society. Dietary reference intakes for Koreans. Seoul: The Korean Nutrition Society; 2005.
- Park YS, Rou F, Jaegal S. Relationship between nutritional status and facial sebum content of young women. Korean Journal of Community Nutrition 2006;11:587-97.
- Cosgrove MC, Franco OH, Granger SP, Murray PG, Mayes AE. Dietary nutrient intakes and skin-aging appearance among middle-aged American women. Am J Clin Nutr 2007;86:1225-31. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/86.4.1225
- Park CS. Epidermal homeostasis and dry skin management. Journal of the Society of Cosmetic Scientists of Korea 2008; 34:1-8.
- Pappas A, Anthonavage M, Gordon JS. Metabolic fate and selective utilization of major fatty acids in human sebaceous gland. J Invest Dermatol 2002;118:164-71. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.0022-202x.2001.01612.x
- Walsh CT, Sandstead HH, Prasad AS, Newberne PM, Fraker PJ. Zinc: health effect and research priorities for the 1990s. Environ Health Perspect 1994;102:5-46. https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.94102s75
- Seo YM. Effect of superoxide dismutase on oxidative stress of reactive oxygen species in cultured human skin melanocyte [master's thesis]. Iksan: Wonkwang Health Science University; 2007.
- Hornig-Do HT, Kleist-Retzow JC, Lanz K, Wickenhauser C, Kudin AP, Kunz WS, Wiesner RJ, Schauen M. Human epidermal keratinocytes accumulate superoxide due to low activity of Mn-SOD, leading to mitochondrial functional impairment. J Invest Dermatol 2007;127:1084-93. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.jid.5700666
- Seo JY, Cho KH, Eun HC, Chung JH. Skin aging from phenotype to mechanism. Korean Journal of Investigative Dermatology 2001;8:187-94.
- Bae HS. Dietary intake, serum lipids, iron index and antioxidant status by percent body fat of young females. Korean Journal of Community Nutrition 2008;13:323-33.
- Han YR. Study on the correlationship among women's hydration of the skin anti-oxidant & generation of sebum [master's thesis]. Seoul: Sung-shin Women's University; 2005.
- Park CS. Skin barrier and beauty foods. Food Science and Industry 2007;40:19-26.
- Kim MY, Cho KD, Baek OH, Lee BH. Effects of body composition, nutrient intakes and biochemical indices on skin health status of female university students with sensitive skin. Korean Journal of Food Culture 2008;23:258-67.
- Development and Evaluation of the Semi-quantitative Food Frequency Questionnaire to Assess Folate Intake in Women of Child-bearing Age vol.17, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2012.17.2.156
Supported by : Sungshin Women's University