- Volume 11 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
An Exploratory Study on the Effects of Social Capital mediated Corporate Entrepreneurship of Venture upon Corporate Performance
벤처기업의 사회적 자본이 조직기업가정신을 매개로 기업성과에 미치는 영향에 관한 탐색적 연구
- Chung, Dae-Yong (Department of Entrepreneurship, Graduate School of Soongsil University) ;
- Roh, Kyoung-Hoon (Department of Entrepreneurship, Graduate School of Soongsil University)
- Received : 2010.04.05
- Accepted : 2010.05.13
- Published : 2010.05.31
Researches recently made in advanced countries into entrepreneurship found that various resources and information are mainly provided to ventures through social capital, which is a resource capital based on a network, and through corporate entrepreneurship. This research is an exploratory study on the effects of social capital and corporate entrepreneurship of new ventures upon their corporate performance, conducted from the standpoint of dynamic capability. For that purpose, a questionnaire investigation was made of 171 venture entrepreneurs in Korea, and the following are the results of an empirical analysis of responses to the questionnaire. First, it was found that social capital, which is a resource capital based on a network, had a significant effect on corporate entrepreneurship. Second, social capital also had a significant effect on ventures corporate performance. Third, corporate entrepreneurship had a significant effect on corporate performance. These results imply that social capital and corporate entrepreneurship have a significant effect on the corporate performance of ventures, which have innate disadvantages concerning the supply of resources. On the other hand, ventures, which encounter relatively more intense demands for change and renovation, can be managed in a sustainable manner just when they adequately accumulate their social capital and utilize their external resources and appropriately conduct their corporate entrepreneurship activities.
Supported by : 숭실대학교
- Zahra, S. A., Neubaum, D. O., & Huse, M., "Entrepreneurship in medium-size companies: Exploring the effects of ownership and governance systems", Journal of Management, 26, 947-976, 2000.
- Zahra, S. A., Nielsen, A. P., & Bogner, W. C., "Corporate entrepreneurship, knowledge, and competitive development", Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 23, 169-189, 1999.
- Peng, M. W., Lee, S-H., & Wang, D. Y. L., "What determines the scope of the firm over time? A focus on institutional relatedness", Academy of Management Review, 30, 622-633, 2005. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.2005.17293731
- Putnam, R. D., "Bowling alone: America's declining social capital", Journal of Democracy, 6, 65-78, 1995.
- Schumpeter, J. A., The Theory of Ecomomic Development, Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1934.
- Shane, S. & Venkataraman, S., "The promise of entrepreneurship as a field of research", Academy of Management Review, 25, 217-226, 2000.
- Simsek, Z., Lubatkin, M. H., & Floyd, S. W., "Inter-firm networks and entrepreneurship behavior: A structural embeddedness perspective", Journal of Management, 29, 427-442, 2003.
- Teece, D. J., Pisano, G., & Shuen, A., "Dynamic capabilities and strategic management", Strategic Management Journal, 18, 509-533, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199708)18:7<509::AID-SMJ882>3.0.CO;2-Z
- Tsai, W. & Ghoshal, S., "Social capital and value creation: The role of intrafirm networks", Academy of Management Journal, 41, 464-478, 1998. https://doi.org/10.2307/257085
- Yiu, D. W. & Lau, C. M., "Corporate Entrepreneurship as Resource Capital Configuration in Emerging Market Firms", Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 1042-2587, 2008.
- Yli-Renko, H., Autio, E., & Sapienza, H. J., "Social capital, knowledge acquisition, and knowledge exploitation in young technology-based firms", Strategic Management Journal, 22, 587-613, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.183
- Zahra, S. A., "Governance, ownership, and corporate entrepreneurship: The moderating impact of industry technological opportunities", Academy of Management Journal, 39, 1713-1735, 1996. https://doi.org/10.2307/257076
- Zahra, S. A. & J. G. Covin, "Contextual influence on the corporate entrepreneurship-performance relationship: A longitudinal analysis," Journal of Business Venturing, 10(1), 43-58, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/0883-9026(94)00004-E
- Zahra, S. A. & Dess, G., "Defining entrepreneurship as a scholarly field", Academy of Management Review, 26, 8-10, 2001. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.2001.4011916
- Zahra, S. A., Ireland, D. R., Gutierrez, I., & Hitt, M. A., "Privatization and entrepreneurial transformation: Emerging issues and a future research agenda", Academy of Management Review, 25, 509-524, 2000.
- Eisenhardt, K. M. & Martin, J., "Dynamic capabilities: What are they?", Strategic Management Journal, 21(Special issue), 1105-1121, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0266(200010/11)21:10/11<1105::AID-SMJ133>3.0.CO;2-E
- Guth, W. D. & Ginsberg, A., "Guest editors' introduction: Corporate entrepreneurship", Strategic Management Journal, 11(Summer Special Issue), 5-15, 1990.
- Herbert, R. F. & Link, A. N., "The Entrepreneur", New York, Praeger Publishers, 1988.
- Inkpen, A. C. & E. W. K. Tsang, " Social capital, network, and knowledge transfer", Academy of Management Review, 30(1), 146-165, 2005. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.2005.15281445
- Kirzner, J. A., "Entrepreneurs and the Entrepreneurial function: A Commentary", In Ronen J., Entrepreneurship, 281-290, 1983.
- Knight, G. A., "Cross-Cultural Reliability and Validity of A Scale to Measure Firm Entrepreneurial Orientation", Journal of Business Venturing, 12, 213-225, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0883-9026(96)00065-1
- Larson, A., "Network dyads in entrepreneurial settings: A study of the governance of exchange relationships", Administrative Science Quarterly, 37, 76-104, 1992. https://doi.org/10.2307/2393534
- Liao, J. & Welsch, H., "Social capital and entrepreneurial growth aspiration: A comparison of technology- and non-technology-based nascent entrepreneurs", Journal of High Technology Management Research, 14, 149-170, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1047-8310(03)00009-9
- Lin, N., "Building a network theory of social capital", Connections, 22(1), 28-51, 1999.
- Lumpkin, G. T. & Dess, G. G., "Clarifying the entrepreneurial orientation construct and linking it to performance", Academy of Management Review, 21, 135-172, 1996.
- Mitchell, W. & Singh, K., "Incumbent's use of pre-entry alliances before expansion into new technical subfields of an industry", Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 18, 347-372, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-2681(92)90015-4
- Nahapiet, J. & Ghoshal, S., "Social capital, intellectual capital, and the organizational advantage", Academy of Management Review, 23, 242-266, 1998.
- Nunally, J. C., Psychometric Theory, New York: McGraw Hill, 1978.
- Oliver, C., "Sustainable competitive advantage: Combining institutional and resource-based views", Strategic Management Journal, 18, 697-713, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199710)18:9<697::AID-SMJ909>3.0.CO;2-C
- Ahlstrom, D. & Bruton, G. D., "Venture capital in emerging economies: Networks and institutional change", Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 30, 299-320, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2006.00122.x
- Batjargal, B, "Social capital and entrepreneurial performance in Russia: A longitudinal study", Organization Studies, 24, 535-556, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1177/0170840603024004002
- Baum, J. A. & Oliver, C, "Institutional embeddedness and the dynamics of organizational populations", American Sociological Review, 57, 540-559, 1992. https://doi.org/10.2307/2096100
- Borch, O. J., Huse, M., & Senneseth, K, "Resource configuration, competitive strategies, and corporate entrepreneurship: An empirical examination of small firms", Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 24, 49-70, 1999.
- Bourdieu, P., Sociology in question, London: Sage. 1993.
- Bruno, A.V. & Tyebjee, "The Environment for Entrepreneurship", Encyclopedia of Entrepreurship, 288-307, 1982.
- Burt, R. S. Structural holes: The social structure of competition, Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1992.
- Butler, J. E., Brown, B., & Chamornmarn, W, "Informational networks, entrepreneurial action and performance", Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 20, 151-174, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1023808415402
- Carolis, D. M D. & P. Saparito, "Social capital, cognition, and entrepreneurial opportunities: A theoretical framework", Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, January, 41-56, 2006.
- Coleman, J. S., Foundations of social theory, Cambridge, MA: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 1990.
- Covin, J. G. & Slevin, D. P., "New Venture strategic posture, structure, and performance: An industry life cycle analysis," Journal of Business Venturing, 5, 123-135, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1016/0883-9026(90)90004-D
- Covin, J. G. & Slevin, D. P., "Aconceptual model of entrepreneurship as firm behavior", Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 16, 7-25, 1991.
- Davidson, P. & Honing, B., "The role of social and human capital among nascent entrepreneurs", Journal of Business Venturing, 18, 301.331, 2003.
- Dess, G. G., Ireland, R. D., Zahra, S. A., Floyd, S. W., Janney, J. J., & Lane, P., "Emerging issues in corporate entrepreneurship", Journal of Management, 29, 351-378, 2003.
- 배종태.차민석, "기업가정신의 확장과 활성화", 중소기업연구, 31(1), 111-128, 2009.
- 위홍복, "기업가정신이 조직유효성에 미치는 영향에 관한 실증연구", 조선대학교 박사학위논문, 2003.
- 장수덕.Christopher Scotte.이상설, "벤처기업의 실패에 관한 국제비교연구: 연령의존관점과 자원기반관점의 통합적 접근", 벤처경영연구, 11(2), 41-63, 2008.
- 정대용.노경훈, "신생벤처 창업가의 특성과 네트워킹이 기업성과에 미치는 영향에 관한 탐색적 연구", 산학기술학회지, 17(1), 425-426, 2009.
- A mediation model among the political skills, social network and entrepreneurial performance of SEMs entrepreneurs vol.12, pp.8, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.8.3421