- Volume 52 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of Dietary Supplementation of Fermented Garlic Powder on Immune Responses, Blood Components, and Disease Resistance against Principal Fish Disease of Juvenile Olive Flounder, Paralichthys olivaceus in Low Temperature Season
저수온기 넙치 치어에 있어서 발효마늘분말의 사료 내 첨가가 면역반응, 혈액성분 및 주요 어병세균에 대한 질병저항성에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Sung-Sam (Faculty of Marine Biomedical Science, Jeju National University) ;
- Song, Jin-Woo (Faculty of Marine Biomedical Science, Jeju National University) ;
- Lim, Se-Jin (Faculty of Marine Biomedical Science, Jeju National University) ;
- Jeong, Joon-Bum (Faculty of Marine Biomedical Science, Jeju National University) ;
- Jeon, You-Jin (Faculty of Marine Biomedical Science, Jeju National University) ;
- Yeo, In-Kyu (Faculty of Marine Biomedical Science, Jeju National University) ;
- Lee, Kyeong-Jun (Faculty of Marine Biomedical Science, Jeju National University)
- 김성삼 (제주대학교 해양의생명과학부) ;
- 송진우 (제주대학교 해양의생명과학부) ;
- 임세진 (제주대학교 해양의생명과학부) ;
- 정준범 (제주대학교 해양의생명과학부) ;
- 전유진 (제주대학교 해양의생명과학부) ;
- 여인규 (제주대학교 해양의생명과학부) ;
- 이경준 (제주대학교 해양의생명과학부)
- Received : 2010.04.20
- Accepted : 2010.07.19
- Published : 2010.08.31
We report non-specific immune responses and disease resistance against Vibrio anguillarum, Streptococcus iniae and Edwardsiella tarda by dietary supplementation of fermented garlic powder (FGP) in olive flounder for the first time. Four isonitrogenous (45% crude protein) and isocaloric (17.1 MJ/kg) diets were formulated to have 0%, 0.5%, 1% and 2% of the FGP (G-0, G-0.5, G-1 and G-2). The experimental diets were fed to juvenile olive flounder averaging 23.4 g in triplicate groups (90 fish/group) in a flow-through system. After a five-week feeding trial, healthy fish with similar sizes from each tank were selected and injected with 1 ml of three bacteria each to evaluate disease resistance of the fish. During the 5-week feeding trial, the weight gain, specific growth rate, feed conversion ratio, protein efficiency ratio, and survival of the fish were not significantly affected by the experimental diets. However, feed intake was significantly lower (P<0.05) in the fish fed the G-2 diet compared with the control group. Hemoglobin, myeloperoxidase activity, cholesterol and HDL-cholesterol were not different between the dietary groups. However, hematocrit, nitroblue tetrazolium (NBT) activity, and lysozyme activity were increased (P<0.05) with an increment of dietary FGP. Plasma triglyceride of the fish fed the G-0.5 diet was significantly lower than that of fish fed the control diet. The cumulative mortality was lower in the fish fed diets containing FGP compared with the control group in the challenge test except for the bacteria Edwardsiella tarda. The results in this study indicate that dietary supplementation of FGP can enhance the non-specific immune responses and disease resistance of olive flounder against V. anguillarum and S. iniae.
Grant : 친환경 유기양식생산 매뉴얼 개발을 통한 양식넙치의 고품질화 및 가공기술 개발
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- AOAC. 1995. Official methods of analysis. 16th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Arlington, Virginia, 1-1298.
- Brett, J. R. and Higgs, D. A. 1970. Effects of temperature on rate of gastric digestion in fingerling sockeye salmon, Oncorhynchus nerka. J. Fish. Res. Bd. Can. 27, 1767-1779. https://doi.org/10.1139/f70-197
- Chi, M. S., Koh, E. T. and Stewart, T. J. 1982. Effect of garlic on lipid metabolism in rats fed cholesterol or lard. J. Nutr. 112, 241-248. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/112.2.241
- Cho, S. H., Lee, S. M., Park, B. H., Ji, S. C., Kwon, M. G., Kim, Y. C., Lee, J. H., Park, S. and Han, H. K. 2006. Effect of dietary inclusion of various sources of green tea on immune system and challenging test of juvenile olive flounder Paralichthys olivaceus. J. of Aquaculture. 19, 84-89.
- Chun, H. J. and Paik, J. E. 1997. Effect of heat treatment of garlic added diet on the blood of spontaneously hypertension rat. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 26, 103-108.
- Chung, J. Y. and Kim, C. S. 2008. Antioxidant activities of domestic garlic (Allium sativum L.) stems from different areas. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 37, 972-978. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.8.972
- Folch, J., Lee, M. and Sloane-Stanley, G. H. 1959. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J. Biol. Chem. 226, 497-509.
- Garling, D. L. J. and Wilson, R. P. 1976. Optimum dietary protein to energy ratio for channel catfish fingerlings, Ictalurus punctatus. J. Nutr. 106, 1368-1375. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/106.9.1368
- Iwata, N., Kikuchi, K., Honda, H., Kiyono, M. and Kurokura, H. 1994. Effects of temperature on the growth of Japanese flounder. Fish. Sci. 60, 527-531. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.60.527
- Kim, K. J., Do, J. R. and Kim, H. K. 2005. Antimicrobial, antihypertensive and anticancer activities of garlic extracts. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 37, 228-232.
- Kim, M. J., Kim, M. C., Kim, T., Kim, K. Y. and Heo, M. S. 2006. Effect of dietary supplementation of extracts of mushroom mycelium on survival and growth of juvenile flounder, Paralichthys olivaceus. J. of Aquaculture. 19, 231-235.
- Kim, S. S., Galaz, G. B., Lee, K. J. and Lee, Y. D. 2006. Effects of dietary supplementation of Spirulina and astaxanthin for juvenile olive flounder, Paralichthys olivaceus in low temperature season. J. of Aquaculture. 19, 57-63.
- Kim, Y. D., Kim, K. M., Hur, C. K., Kim, E. S., Cho, I. K. and Kim, K. J. 2004. Antimicrobial activity of garlic extracts according to different cooking methods. Korean Journal of Food Preservation. 11, 400-404.
- Kumari, J. and Sahoo, P. K. 2005. Seasonal variation in the innate immune parameters of the Asian catfish Clarias batrachus. Aquaculture. 252, 121-127. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2005.07.025
- Kwon, O. S., Yoo, J. S., Min, B. J., Son, K. S., Cho, J. H., Kim, H. J., Chen, Y. J. and Kim, I. H. 2005. Effect of supplemental medicinal plants (Artemisia, Acanthopanax and Garlic) on growth performance and serum characteristics in lactating sows, suckling and weanling pigs. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol. (Kor.) 47, 501-512. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2005.47.4.501
- Mazelis, M. and Crews, L. 1968. Purification of the alliin lyase of garlic, Allium sativum L. Biochem. J. 108, 725-730. https://doi.org/10.1042/bj1080725
- Mun, H. Y., Lee, H. S., Park, J. H., Kim, D. H., Lee, S. Y., Seong, N. S., Bang, J. K., Jung, H. G. and Lee, H. Y. 2004. Enhancement of immune activities of Ganoderma lucidum mycelium cultured with garlic enriched medium. Korean J. Medicinal Crop. Sco. 12, 24-30.
- NRC (National Research Council), 1993. Nutrient Requirements of fish. National Academy Press, Washington DC, 114 pp.
- Park, K. Y., Lee, S. J., Lee, K. I. and Rhee, S. H. 2005. The antitumor effect in Sarcoma-180 tumor cell of mice administered with japanese apricot, garlic or ginger Doenjang. Korean J. Food Cookery Sci. 21, 599-606.
- Pham, M. A., Lee, K. J., Lee, B. J., Lim, S. J., Kim, S. S., Lee, Y. D., Heo, M. S. and Lee, K. W. 2006. Effects of dietary Hizikia fusiformis on growth and immune responses in juvenile olive flounder (Paralichthys olivaceus). Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19, 1769-1775. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.1769
- Qureshi, A. 1983. Suppression of avian hepatic lipid metabolism by solvent extracts of garlic : Impact on serum lipids. J. Nutr. 113, 1746-1755. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/113.9.1746
- Sharma, K. K., Sharma, A. L., Dwivedi, K. K. and Sharma, P. K. 1976. Effect of raw and boiled garlic on blood cholesterol in butter fat lipidemia. The Ind. J. Nutr. Dietet. 13, 7-11.
- Shin, J. H., Jung, K. M., Lee, S. J., Yang, S. M., Rue, G. H. and Sung, N. J. 2009. Biological activities of dried garlic, red ginseng and their mixture. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 38, 1633-1639. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.12.1633
- Shon, H. E., Lee, J. Y., Kim, D. C. and Hwang, W. I. 2001. Enhancement of anticancer activity by combination of garlic (Allium sativum) extract and vitamin C. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 30, 372-376.
- Small, L. D., Bailey, J. H. and Cavallito, C. J. 1947. Alkyl thiosulfinates. J. Am. Chem Soc. 69, 1710-1713. https://doi.org/10.1021/ja01199a040
- Stoll, A. and Seebeck, E. 1951. Chemical investigations of alliin, and the specific principle of garlic. Adv. Enzymol. 11, 377-340.
- Wi, S. U. 2003. Isolation of alliin in garlic and its quantitative determination by high performance liquid chromatography and studies on the antimicrobial effects of alliin and ethanol extracts from korean garlic (Alliium sativum L.). Korean J. Food & Nutr. 16, 296-302.
- Yeh, S. P., Chang, C. A., Chang, C. Y., Liu, C. H. and Cheng, W. 2008. Dietary sodium alginate administration affects fingerling growth and resistance to Streptococcus sp. and iridovirus, and juvenile non-specific immune responses of the orange-spotted grouper, Epinephelus coioides. Fish and Shellfish immunology, 25, 19-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsi.2007.11.011
- You, S. J., Anh, B. K. and Kang, C. W. 2009. Effects of dietary garlic powder on growth performance and mRNA expression of hepatic HMG-CoA reductase in broiler chickens. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol. (Kor) 51, 307-314. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2009.51.4.307
- 주은정. 1978. 마늘의 첨가급식이 백서의 성장 및 장기중 성분함량에 미치는 영향. 숙명여자대학교 석사학위논문.
- 황영식. 1987. 마우스에 있어서 면역반응에 미치는 마늘효과. 원광대학교 박사학위논문.
- Effect of Dietary Supplementation with Alga (Hizikia fusiformis and Ecklonia cava) on the Non-specific Immune Responses of Parrot Fish Oplegnathus fasciatus vol.44, pp.4, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2011.0332
- Effects of Dietary Supplementation of Fermented Garlic Powder and Fluid on Growth Performance, Immune Responses, Blood Components, and Disease Resistance against Edwardsiella tarda and Streptococcus iniae in Olive Flounder Paralichthys olivaceus vol.44, pp.6, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2011.0644
- Effects of Dietary Supplementation with Bacillus sp. on Growth Performance, Feed Utilization, Innate Immunity and Disease Resistance against Streptococcus iniae in Olive Flounder Paralichthys olivaceus vol.45, pp.1, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2012.0035
- Effects of Dietary Supplementation with Nucleotide on Growth Performance, Feed Utilization, and Non-Specific Immune Responses of Nile Tilapia Oreochromis niloticus vol.45, pp.6, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2012.0648
- vol.45, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/jwas.12120
- Comparative Evaluation of Extruded and Moist Pellets for Development of High Efficiency Extruded Pellets in Olive Flounder Paralichthys olivaceus vol.47, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2014.0801
- Effect of the Polychaete Antimicrobial Peptide as feed Additives on Olive Flounder and Black Rockfish Immune Activity vol.28, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2016.28.6.1640
- pp.08938849, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/jwas.12535