- Volume 52 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of Dietary Quercetin on the Feed Utilization, Blood Parameters, and Meat Quality in Korean Native Goats
Quercetin의 급여가 산양의 사료이용성, 혈액상 및 육질에 미치는 영향
- Cho, Sung-Kyung (Dept. of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Jo, Cheo-Run (Dept. of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Jung, Sa-Mu-El (Dept. of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Kim, Min-Kyu (Dept. of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Oh, Hyun-Min (Dept. of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Lee, Bong-Duk (Dept. of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Lee, Soo-Kee (Dept. of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Chungnam National University)
- 조성경 (충남대학교 동물자원생명과학과) ;
- 조철훈 (충남대학교 동물자원생명과학과) ;
- 정사무엘 (충남대학교 동물자원생명과학과) ;
- 김민규 (충남대학교 동물자원생명과학과) ;
- 오현민 (충남대학교 동물자원생명과학과) ;
- 이봉덕 (충남대학교 동물자원생명과학과) ;
- 이수기 (충남대학교 동물자원생명과학과)
- Received : 2010.04.21
- Accepted : 2010.07.26
- Published : 2010.08.31
This study was conducted to investigate the effects of dietary quercetin on feed utilization, blood parameters, and meat quality of Korean native goats. Totally sixteen Korean native goats, 15 kg of average BW aged at 7 months, were employed in the experiment with eight replicates per treatment. One group was fed quercetin at 200 mg/kg level and the other group was fed none as control for 15 days. Dietary inclusion of quercetin did not affect feed intake, water intake, and the amount of urine and feces. Digestibilities of crude fat, NDF, and ADF for 5 days were not affected, but digestibility of crude protein was increased by the dietary inclusion of qurecetin (P<0.05). Quercetin increased rumen total VFA, propionate, and butyrate significantly (P<0.05). Acetate/propionate ratio (A/P) in the quercetin treated group was significantly higher than control. 2,2-Azinobis-(3-ethylbenzothiazoline-6-sulfonic acid) (
Supported by : 충남대학교
- Ahn, D. U., Olson, D. G., Jo, C., Love, J. and Jin, S. K. 1999. Volatiles production and lipid oxidation on irradiated cooked sausage as related to packaging storage. J. Food. Sci. 64:226-229. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1999.tb15870.x
- Ahn, S. I., Heuing, B. J. and Son, J. Y. 2007. Antioxidative activity and nitrite-scavenging abilities of some phenolic compounds. Kor J. Food Cookery Sci. 23:19-24.
- AOAC. 1995. Official Method of Analysis. (16th ed.) Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington. D. C., USA.
- Botsoglou, N., Govaris, A. A., Giannenas, I., Botsoglou, E. and Papageorgiou, G. 2007. The incorporation of dehydrated rosemary leaves in the rations of turkey and their impact on the oxidative stability of the produced raw and cooked meat. Int J Food Sci Nutr. 58:312-320. https://doi.org/10.1080/09637480701228583
- Blois, M. S. 1958. Antioxidant determination by the use of a stable free radical. Nature. 181:1190-1200. https://doi.org/10.1038/1811190a0
- Chen, Y. C., Shen, S. C., Chow, J. M., Ko, C. H. and Tseng, S. W. 2004. Flavone inhibition of tumor growth via apoptosis in vitro and in vivo. Int. J. Oncol. 25:661-670.
- Daniel, R. S., Devi, K. S., Augusti, K. T. and Sudhakaran, N. C. R. 2003. Mechanism of action of antiatherogenic and related effects of Ficus bengalensis Linn. flavonoids in experimental animals. Indian J. Exp. Biol. 41:296-303.
- Duarte, J., Perez P. R., Vargas, F., Ocete, M. A., Perez, V. F., Zarzuelo, A. and Tamargo, J. 2001. Antihypertensive effects of the flavonoid quercetin in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Br. J. Pharmacol 133:117-124. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjp.0704064
- Edenharder, R. and Grunhage, D. 2003. Free radical scavenging abilities of flavonoids as mechanism of protection against mutagenicity induced by tert-butyhydroperoxide or cumene hydroperoxide in Salmonella typhimurium TA102. Mut. Res. 9:1-18.
Erel, O. 2004. A novel automated direct measurement method for total antioxidant capacity using a new generation, more atable
$ABTS^+$Radical cation. Clin. Biochem. 37:277-285. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2003.11.015
- Erwin, E. S., Macro, C. J. and Emergy, E. W. 1961. Volatile fatty acid analysis of blood and rumen fluid by gas chromatography. J. Anim. Sci. 44:1768.
- Farombi, E. O. and Onyema, O. O. 2006. Monosodium glutamate-induced oxidative damage and genotoxicity in the rat: modulatory role of vitamin C, vitamin E and quercetin. Human & Experimental Toxicology. 25:251-259. https://doi.org/10.1191/0960327106ht621oa
- Fenner, H. and Elliot, J. M. 1963. Quantitative method for determining the steam volatile fatty acids in rumen fluid by gas chromatography. J. Dairy Sci. 22:624.
- Gladine, C., Morand, C., Rock, E., Bauchart, D. and Durand, D. 2007. Plant extracts rich in polyphenols (PERP) are efficient antioxidants to prevent lipoperoxidation in plasma lipids from animals fed n-3 PUFA supplemented diets. Anim Feed Sci Technol 136:281-296. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2006.09.003
- Goering, H. K. and Van Soest, P. J. 1970. Forage fiber analysis. ARS, USDA Agric. Handbook.
- Herbert, A. and Joel, L. S. 1993. Sensory evaluation practices. 2nd ed., Academic Press, USA, 68-75.
- Hyun, S. H., Jung, S. K., Ji, M. K., Song, C. K., Kim, J. H. and Lim, S. 2007. Screening of antioxidants and cosmeceuticals from natural plant resources in Jeju island. Kor J. Food. Sci Technol. 39:200-208.
- Janbaz, K. H., Saeed, S. A. and Gilani, A. H. 2004. Studies on the protective effects of caffeic acid and quercetin on chemical-induced hepatotoxicity in rodents. Phytomedicine 11:424-430. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phymed.2003.05.002
- Jang, A., Liu, X. D., Shin, M. H., Lee, B. D., Lee, S. K., Lee, J. H. and Jo, C. 2008. Antioxidative potential of raw breast meat from brioler chicks fed a dietary medicinal herb extract mix. Poult Sci 87:2382-2389. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2007-00506
- Kahraman, A. and Inal, M. E. 2002. Protective effects of quercetin on ultraviolet a light-induced oxidative stress in the blood of rat. J. Appl. Toxicol. 22:303-309. https://doi.org/10.1002/jat.863
- Kremer, B. T., Stahly, T. S. and Segranek, J. G. 1999. Effect of Dietary Quercetin on Pork Quality. Iowa State University ASL-1621.
- Lopez-Bote, C. J., Gray, J. I., Gomaa, E. A. and Flegal, C. J. 1998. Effect of dietary administration of oil extracts from rosemary and sage on lipid oxidation in broiler meat. Brit Poult Sci 39:235-240. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071669889187
- Psotova, J., Chlopcikova, S., Miketova, P., Hrbac, J. and Simanek, V. 2004. Chemoprotective effects of plant phenolics against anthracyclineinduced toxicity on rat cardiomyocytes: Part III. Apigenin, baicalein, kaempherol, luteolin and quercetin. Phytother. Res. 18:516-521. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.1462
- Rice-Evans, C. and Miller, N. J. 1998. Structure-antioxidant activity relationships of flavonoids and isoflavonoids. Flavonoidsin Health and Disease 199-219.
- Santas, J., Carbo, R., Gordon, M. H. and Almajano, M. P. 2008. Compraison of the antioxidant activity of two Spanish onion varieties. Food Chem. 107:1210-1216. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.09.056
- Simitzis, P. E., Deligeorgis, S. G., Bizelis, J. A., Deardamani, A., Theodosou, I. and Fegeros, K. 2008. Effect of dietary oregano supplementation on lamb meat characteristics. Meat Sci. 79:217-223. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.09.005
- Singleton, V. L. and Rossi, J. A. 1965. Colorimetry of total phenolics with phosphomolybdic-phosphotungstic acid reagents. AM. J. Enol. Vitic. 29:144-158.
- Soloviev, A., Stefanov, A., Parshikov, A., Khromov, A., Moibenko, A., Kvotchina, L., Balavoine, G. and Geletii, Y. 2002. Arrhythmogenic peroxynitrite-induced alterations in mammalian heart contractility and itsprevention with quercetin-filled liposome. Cardiovasc. Toxicol. 2:129-139. https://doi.org/10.1385/CT:2:2:129
- Vichi, S., Zitterl-Eglseer, K., Jugl, M. and Franz, C. H. 2001. Determination of the presence of antioxidants deriving from sage and oregano extracts added to animal fat by means of assessment of the radical scavenging capacity by photochemiluminescence analysis. Nahrung / Food 45:101-104. https://doi.org/10.1002/1521-3803(20010401)45:2<101::AID-FOOD101>3.0.CO;2-W
- Vincent, C. J. B., Ashwin, A. D., Hester, V. D. W., Ilja, C. W. A., Siegfried, W., Gerrit, M. A., Ivonne, M. C. M. R., Jaap, K. and Peter, C. H. H. 2005. Tissue Distribution of Quercetin in Rats and Pigs. J. Nutr. 135:1617-1618. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/135.7.1617
- 박관하, 주종재, 최선남. 2005. Mouse에서의 quercetin 경구투여 후 체내농도 및 대사체 isorhamnetin의 농도 변화. 한국축산식품학회지. 37:90-94.
- 이수기, 조성경. 2009. Quercetin의 투여가 TMR의 in vitro 건물 소실률에 미치는 영향. CNU 세미나 자료.
- 조영일, 나홍식, 백승근, 조승제, 김교순, 최영숙, 송종오. 2004. 흰쥐에서 허혈성 재관류 손상에 대한 Amphetamine 전처치의 신보호 효과가 Heat Shock Protein에 의한 것인가? 대한신장학회지. 23:12-21.
- Effect of Quercetin and Methoxylated Quercetin on Chicken Thigh Meat Quality during Cold Storage vol.38, pp.4, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2011.38.4.265
- Effects of Drying Methods on Anthocyanin Contents of Colored Barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) cv. Boanchalbori vol.33, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2013.33.4.234
- Effects of Dietary Quercetin on Growth Performance, Blood Biochemical Parameter, Immunoglobulin and Blood Antioxidant Activity in Broiler Chicks vol.42, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2014.42.1.33