- Volume 52 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of Supplementation of Fermented Colostrum on Growth and Occurrence of Diarrhea in Holstein Calves
발효초유 급여가 Holstein 송아지의 성장과 설사발생에 미치는 효과
- Received : 2010.02.02
- Accepted : 2010.06.04
- Published : 2010.08.31
In this study, feeding fermented colostrum to Holstein calves was investigated to find out the effects on their growth and inhibition of diarrhea. The results of this study showed that the mixture of L. rhamnosus and E. faecium would be proper bacteria for fermentation of colostrum because of favorable odor, inhibition of coliform bacteria and high number of lactic acid bacterial count. Among the groups of calves fed 0, 5, 10 and 20% of fermented colostrums, average body weight gain for 28 days on feeding fermented colostrum were 16.6, 16.6, 17.4 and 18 kg, respectively showing that calves fed 20% fermented colostrum achieved the highest body weight gain. Occurrence of diarrhea due to feeding various levels of fermented colostrum was also recorded. Three calves out of 5 suffered diarrhea in 0%, 5%, and 20% group, on the other hand, all 5 calves suffered diarrhea in 10% group. Diarrhea persisted for durations were 2.7, 2.4, 4.0, and 2.4 days in 0, 5, 10, and 20% group, respectively. Fermented colostrum did not prevent the occurrence of diarrhea. In overall, addition of fermented colostrum above 10% level showed favorable effects in gaining body weight under the conditions of adding more portions of the fermented colostrum either for 14 days or longer feeding period of the fermented colostrum. On the other hand, fermented colostrum showed no beneficial effect in prevention of diarrhea in this study.
Fermented colostrum;Holstein calves;Growth;Diarrhea
- Anonymous. 1979. Gut ecology and health implications. Dairy Council Digest 50:13.
- Adams, G D., Bush, L. J. and Staley, T. E. 1985. Two methods for administering colostrum to newborn calves. J Dairy Sci. 61:1033. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(78)83686-8
- Beeman, D. 1985. The effect of lactobacillus spp. on convalescing calves. Agri-Practice 6:8.
- Burton, J. H., Hostin, A. A., McMillan, I., Grieve, D. G. and Wilke, B. N. 1984. Immunoglobulin absorption in calves and influenced by dietary protein intakes of their dams. Can. J. Ani. Sci. 64:185. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas84-216
- Bush, L. J. 1987. Colostrum-Immunoglobulin interrelationships in dairy calves. Prop. Ani. Sci. 3:25.
- Daniels, L. B., Hall, J. R., Hornsby, O. R. and Collins, J. A. 1977. Feeding naturally fermented, cultured, and direct acidified colostrums to dairy calves. J. Dairy Sci. 60:992. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(77)83976-3
- Duncan, D. B. 1955. Multiple range and Multiple F test. Biometrices 11:1. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001478
- Foley, J. A. and Otterby, D. E. 1978. Availability, storage, treatment, composition, and feeding value of surplus colostrum : A review. J. of Dairy Sci. 61:1033. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(78)83686-8
- Fumiaki A., Ishibashi, N. and Shimamura, S. 1995. Effect of administering of bifidobacteria and lactic acid bacteria to new born calves and piglet. J. Dairy Sci. 78:2838. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(95)76914-4
- Jones, L. R., Taylor, A. W. and Hines, H. C. 1987. Characteristics of frozen colostrums thawed in a microwave oven. J. Dairy Sci. 70:1941. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(87)80235-7
- Karioki, D. I., Gitau, G. K. and Munyna, S. J. 1995. The use of preserved colostrum for rearing replacement dairy calves : calf performance, economics and on-farm practicability in Kenya. Onderstepoort J. Vet. Res. 62(3):167.
- Kawaguchi, M., Tashiro, Y., Adachi, T. and Tamura, Z. 1993. Changes in intestinal condition fecal microflora and composition of rectal gas after administration of fructooligosaccharide and lactose at different doses. Bifidobacteria Microflora 12:57. https://doi.org/10.12938/bifidus1982.12.2_57
- Larson, L. L., Owen, F. G., Albright, J. L., Appleman, R. D., Lamb, R. C. and Millar, L. D. 1977. Guidelines toward more uniformity in measuring and reporting calf experimental date. J. Dairy Sci. 60:989. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(77)83975-1
- Martin, S. A. 1994. Potential for manipulating the gastrointestinal microflora : A review of recent progress. In Biotechnology in the Feed Industry. T. P. Lyons and K. A. Jacques ed. Nottingham Univ. Press. Loughborough. Leicestershire. England. p.15
- Muller, L. D. and Syhre, D. R. 1975. Influence of chemicals and bacterial cultural on preservation of colostrum. J. Dairy Sci. 58:957. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(75)84663-7
- Muller, L. D., Ludens, F. C. and Rook, J. A. 1976. Performances of calves fed fermented colostrum or colostrum with additives during warm ambient temperatures. J. Dairy. Sci. 59:930. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(76)84300-7
- Osburn, B. I., MacLachlan, N. T. and Terell, T. J. 1982. Ontogeny of immune system. JAVMA, 181:1049.
- Otterby, D. E., Dutton, R. E. and Foley, J. A. 1977. Comparative fermentations of bovine colostrum milk. J. Dairy Sci. 60:73. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(77)83830-7
- Otterby, D. E., Johnson, D. G., Foley, J. A., Tomsche, D. S., Lundouist, R. G. and Hanson, P. J. 1980. Fermented or chemically-treated colostrums and nonsalable milk in feeding programs for calves. J. Dairy Sci. 63:951. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(80)83031-1
- Osame, S., Ichoije, S., Ohta, C., Watanabe, T., Benkele, W. and Goto. H. 1991. Efficacy of colostral immunoglobulins for therapeutic and preventive treatments of calf diarrhea. J. Vet. Med. Sci. 53(1):87. https://doi.org/10.1292/jvms.53.87
- Owen, F. G. and Lasen, L. L. 1984. Effect of probiotic and starter preparations on calf performance. J. Dairy Sci. 61:139.
- Polzin, H. W., Otterby, D. E. and Johnson, D. G. 1975. Performance of baby calves fed fermented or acidified colostrums. J. Dairy Sci. 58:742.
- SAS. 2000. Statistical Analysis System ver., 6. 12. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC.
- 김선기, 허강칠, 안영태, 최충국, 정석근. 2000. 발효 및 건조에 따른 초유미생물과 Ig G 함량 변화에 관한 연구. 한국유가공기술학회지 19(2):92.
- 박봉균. 1996. 송아지의 바이러스성 설사. 대한수의학회지 20:147.
- 이민호, 손중천, 김정우. 1995. 초유 gammaglobulin의 효율적 분리 방법. 한국축산학회지 37:14.
- 전병준. 1992. 송아지 설사. 바이엘사보 수의과학편 p.420.
- 진현석, 금종수, 김정희, 최우영. 1995. 한우 락토페린의 정제와 이화학적 특성. 한국낙농학회지 17:146.
- 황인갑. 1993. 송아지 설사증. 바이엘사보 대가축편 p.32.