- Volume 46 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Estimation of economic benefits of biodegradable fishing net by using contingent valuation method (CVM)
CVM을 이용한 생분해성 어구의 경제적 편익 분석
- Park, Seong-Wook (Fisheries System Engineering Division, National Fisheries Research Development Institute) ;
- Kwon, Hyeok-Jun (Faculty of Marine Business & Economics, Pukyong National University) ;
- Park, Seong-Kwae (Faculty of Marine Business & Economics, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2010.05.13
- Accepted : 2010.07.30
- Published : 2010.08.31
The main purpose of this study is to estimate willingness to pay (WTP) by the general publics, assuming that they pay tax or charge for protecting marine living resources and environment through developing and supplying biodegradable fishing nets. This study employed a contingent valuation method (CVM) which is an econometric method. The survey was conducted by using both double-bounded dichotomous choice and open-ended survey. Tobit model was used for the analysis. The variables included concerns about marine environment and fishing net discarded, sex, age profile, number of family members, educational level and personal disposable income. Annual average WTP per family for the biodegradable fishing net development and supply was estimated at 5,294 won and national WTP amounted to some 84.2 billion won. This includes both of use and non-use value of biodegradable fishing nets.
Contingent valuation method (CVM);Biodegradable fishing net;Conservation;Ecosystem;Tobit model
Grant : 생분해성 수산자재 응용 기술개발과 생분해성 어구 효과분석 및 관리
Supported by : 국립수산과학원
- Ayaz, A., D. Acarli, U. Altinagac, U. Ozekinci, A. Kara and A. Ozen, 2006. Ghost fishing by monofilament and multifilament gill nets in izmir bay, Turkey. Fisheries Research, 79, 267-271. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2006.03.029
- Cameron, T.A. and M.D. James, 1987. Efficient estimation methods for closed-ended contingent valuation survey data. Review of Economics and Statistics, 69, 269-276. https://doi.org/10.2307/1927234
- Carson, R.T., 1997. Contingent valuation: Theoretical advanced and empirical tests since the NOAA panel. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 79 (5), 1501-1507. https://doi.org/10.2307/1244371
- Hanley, N. and C.L. Spash, 1993. Cost-benefit analysis and the environment. Edward Elgar, 53-73.
- Hanemann, W.M., 1984. Welfare evaluations in contingent valuation experiments with discrete reponses. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 66 (1), 332-341. https://doi.org/10.2307/1240800
- Hanemann, WM., J.B. Loomis and B.J. Kaninnen, 1991. Statistical efficiency of double-bounded dichotomous choice contingent valuation. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 73, 1255-1263. https://doi.org/10.2307/1242453
- Kim, J.S., 1997. A comparison of the different question formats in the contingent valuation method for the evaluation of recreational benefit. The Korean Forest Economics Society, 5 (2), 59-66.
- Kim, J.S. and W.H. Byun, 2003. A comparison of the WTPs acoarding to the CVM question formats. Journal of The Korean Forest Society, 92 (3), 270-275.
- Lee, H.C., H.S. Jung, T.Y. Kim, 2004. Valuation of air quality in the metropolitan seoul. Envionmental and Resource Economics Review, 13 (3), 387-415.
- Maddala, G.S., 1983. Limited-dependent and qualitative variables in economics. Cambridge University press. 149-158
- Mitchell, R.C and R.T. Carson, 1989. Using surveys to value public goods: the contingent valuation method. Resources for the future Washington, D.C., 91-105.
- NOAA, 1993. Report of the NOAA panel on contingent valuation. 11 Jan., 46-52.
- Park, S.W., C.D. Park, J.H. Bae and J.H. Lim, 2007. Catching efficiency and development of the biodegradable monofilament gill net for snow crab (Chionoecetes opilio). Journal of The Korean Society of Fisheries Technology, 43 (1), 28-37. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2007.43.1.028
- Park, S.W., J.H. Bae, J.H. Lim, B.J. Cha, C.D. Park, Y.S. Yang and H.C. Ahn, 2007. Development and physical properties on the monofilament for gill nets and traps using biodegrardable alophatic polybutylene succinate resin. Journal of The Korean Society of Fisheries Technology, 43 (4), 281-290. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2007.43.4.281
- Park, S.K., S.W. Park and H.J. Kwon, 2009. Economic analysis of biodegradable snow crab gill net model project. Journal of The Korean Society of Fisheries Technology, 45 (4), 276-286. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2009.45.4.276
- Revill, A.S. and G. Dunlin, 2003. The fishing capacity of gillnets lost on wrecks and on open ground in UK coastal waters. Fisheries Research, 64, 107-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-7836(03)00209-1
- Sim, G.S. and C.O. Sin, 2006. A Comparative study on contingent valuation Method. Monthly Maritime and Fisheries, 263, 24-35.
- Tobin, J., 1958. Estimation of relationships for limited dependent variables. Econometrica, 26 (1), 24-36. https://doi.org/10.2307/1907382
- Welsh, M.P. and G.L. Poe, 1998. Elicitation effects in contingent valuation: Comparisons to a multiple bounded discrete choice approach. Journal of Envioronmental Economics and Management, 36, 170-185. https://doi.org/10.1006/jeem.1998.1043
- Yoo, S.H., C.Y. Yang, 2004. Willingness to pay for the prevention of marine pollution at the Yeosu Coast. Ocean Policy Research, 19 (2), 107-137.
- Catch characteristics of the biodegradable gill net for flounder vol.48, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2012.48.4.310
- Economic analysis of development of low-carbon trawl gear vol.48, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2012.48.4.360
- Fishing power estimation of biodegradable traps in the East Sea vol.46, pp.4, 2010, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2010.46.4.292
- Catch characteristics of the gill nets for flounder by the physical property of net filament in the East Sea vol.49, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2013.49.2.095
- Economic analysis on development of low-carbon gear for anchovy boat seine vol.49, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2012.49.3.291
- Catching efficiency of biodegradable trap for swimming crab (Portunus trituberculatus) in the western sea of Korea vol.50, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2014.50.3.262