- Volume 46 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A study on the bycatches by mesh size of spring-net-pot in Geo-je & Tong-young waters of Korea
거제·통영해역 스프링그물통발의 망목별 혼획 연구
- Cha, Bong-Jin (Fisheries System Engineering Division, National Fisheries Research & Development Institute) ;
- Cho, Sam-Kwang (Fisheries System Engineering Division, National Fisheries Research & Development Institute) ;
- Lee, Gun-Ho (Fisheries System Engineering Division, National Fisheries Research & Development Institute)
- Received : 2010.07.16
- Accepted : 2010.08.16
- Published : 2010.08.31
Test fishing was carried out using six kinds of different mesh sizes (20, 22, 24, 28, 35, 40mm) for springnet-pot to study bycatches according to the mesh size and catches survey was done for another one (mesh size : 22mm, entrance round : 350mm) in Geo-je & Tong-young waters of Korea. On the first sea experiment, it was thought that suitable mesh size of spring-net-pot catching conger-eel over 35cm with decreasing the catches of conger-eel (Conger myriaster) below 35cm was 24mm. On the second sea experiment, commercial catches were crabs (Charybdis bimaculata), octopus minor (Octopus variabilis) and others including conger-eel, and catches proportion was 60% of total catches weights. There was no big difference for the monthly catches. Self-consumption catches were 9 species including conger-eel below 35cm holding 50% of catches in the side of weights. There were 40% of bycatches for the catches weights and 63% for catches numbers in the 22mm mesh size of spring-net-pot having entrance round over 140mm. It showed that 50% of catches weights were discarded.
- Alverson, D.L., M.H. Freeberg, S.A. Murawaski and J.G. Pope, 1994. A global assessment of fisheries bycatch and discards. FAO Fisheries Technical Paper No. 339. Rome, FAO. pp. 235.
- An, Y.R. and S.H. Huh, 2002. Species composition and seasonal variation of fish assemblage in the coastal water off Gadeok-do, Korea. J. Kor. Fish. Soc., 35 (6), 715-722. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2002.35.6.715
- Jang, C.S., 1987. Relationship between the body dimension of sea eel, Astroconger Myriaster and the mesh size of fishing gears. J. Kor. Fish. Soc., 23 (4), 184-188.
- Jeong, E.C., 2000. Size selectivity of tubular pot and trap with the extended SELECT model. Department of Fisheries Physics, Graduate School, Pukyoung National Univ., 4-63.
- Kim, W.S., J.H. Hee, B.G. Kwon, J.B. Yoo, B.Y. Kim, B.S. Kim, H.O. Lee and Y.B. Cho, 2006. Study on the bycatch prevention device of spring frame net trap for conger eel, Conger myriaster. J. Kor. Fish. Soc., 42 (1), 1-10. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2006.42.1.001
- Kitahara, T., 1968. Mesh selectivity curve of sweeping trammel net of Branguillos. Bull. Jap. Soc. Sci. Fish., 34 (9), 759-763. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.34.759
- Ko, K.S. and B.G. Kwon, 1987. Improvement of sea eel pots. J. Kor. Fish. So., 20 (2), 95-105.
- Lee, J.H., C.W., Lee, B.G. Kwon, C.D. Park and B.K. Cho, 2004. Fishing gear technology and methods for fisheries resource management. Report of MOMAF, PP. 112.
- Lee, J.H., B.G. Kwon, C.W. Lee, H.S. Kim, S.B. Jeong, Y.B. Cho, J.B. Yoo, S.H. Kim and B.Y. Kim, 2005. Improvement of gill net and trap net fishing for the resource management in the southern sea of Korea. Bull. Kor. Soc. Fish. Tech., 41 (1), 27-34. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2005.41.1.027
- Pascoe, S., 1997. Bycatch management and the economics of discarding. FAO Fisheries Technical Paper No. 370. Rome, FAO. pp. 137.
- Youm, M.G., 1991. Catching rate of trap due to the various bait. Bull. Kor. Soc. Fish. Tech., 27 (4), 232-237.
- Development of the biodegradable octopus pot and its catch ability comparison with a Polyethylene (PE) pot vol.47, pp.1, 2011, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2011.47.1.010
- Bycatch and discards of the whelk trap in the Uljin waters, East Sea vol.50, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2014.50.4.520
- Fishing capacity and bycatch on spring net pot for conger eel by entrance size vol.52, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2016.52.1.009
- Investigation of cause and magnitude of scale effect occurring in model experiments of fishing nets vol.47, pp.1, 2011, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2011.47.1.001