- Volume 31 Issue 4
Review of Randomized Controlled Clinical Trials Targeting Treatment of Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy
당뇨병성 말초 신경병증에 대한 RCT 분석 연구
- Kim, Jin-Mi (Internal Department of Oriental Medicine College, Daejeon University) ;
- Son, Chang-Gue ;
- Cho, Chung-Sik (Internal Department of Oriental Medicine College, Daejeon University) ;
- Kim, Chul-Jung (Internal Department of Oriental Medicine College, Daejeon University)
- 김진미 (대전대학교 한의과대학 신계내과학교실) ;
- 손창규 (대전대학교 한의과대학 간장면역학교실) ;
- 조충식 (대전대학교 한의과대학 신계내과학교실) ;
- 김철중 (대전대학교 한의과대학 신계내과학교실)
- Received : 2010.04.29
- Accepted : 2010.07.09
- Published : 2010.07.31
Objective: This study aimed to produce an overview of RCT for treatments of diabetic peripheral neuropathy. Method: All RCT studies for treatments of diabetic peripheral neuropathy were selected via PubMed. The general trend of RCT number, subject and result, including Oriental medicine, were analyzed. Result: A total 147 RCT studies were found. The number of RCT has rapidly increased since 2003. 114 RCTs were conducted with western drugs, while RCTs with electrical stimulation and Oriental medicine were eight and ten respectively. All RCTs with acupuncture, moxibustion and herbal drugs showed positive results. Conclusion: Oriental medicine-derived RCTs for diabetic peripheral neuropathy are very rare, even their potential was sufficient. This study may provide valuable information for development of Oriental medicine against diabetic peripheral neuropathy in the future.
- Kim JM, Youn SS, An SH, Choi JS, Cho CS, Son CG et al. Overview of Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy and Need for Therapeutic Strategy using Traditional Korean Medicine. J Korean Oriental Med. 2009;30(5):127-136.
- Kwak JG, Kim BJ. Diabetic Polyneuropathy. The Korean Journal of Pain. 2008;18:35.
- John C. Pickup & Gareth Williams. Textbook of Diabetes 3rd. Seoul: KMS; 2006. p. 917-36.
- Braunwald E, Fauci AS, Kasper DS, Hauser SL, Longo DL, Jameson J. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 15th ed. Korean:MIP. 2003:2192.
- Park SK, Kwon EH, Shin HC, Kang SB. One Case of Diabetic Peripheral Polyneuropathy Improved by Binsosan-gamibang. J Korean Oriental Internal Med. 2005:26(4):935-40.
- Kang SB. 2 case of Diabetic Neuropathy Treatments. J Korean Oriental Med. 1992;13(2): 22-5.
- Park SW, Kang JK, Moon SK, Ko CN. Two experiences of the treatment for diabetic peripheral neuropathy. The Journal of Korean Oriental Chronic Disease. 1997;3(1):251-8.
- Cho KH, Jung S, Lee KJ. A Case of Yukmijihwanghwan's effect on Diabetic neuropathy. Korean J. Orient. Int. Med. 1999;20(1):286-90.
- Kwon YK, Choi KR, Lee JS, Lee BC, Ahn YM, Ahn SY, et al. Two Cases of Diabetic Peripheral Polyneuropathy Improved by Bogan-tang. J Korean Oriental Med. 2002;23(1):170-7.
- Park SK, Kwon EH, Shin HC, Kang SB. One Case of Diabetic Peripheral Polyneuropathy Improved by Binsosan-gamibang. J Korean Oriental Med. 2005:26(4):935-40.
- Choi HS, Cho CS, Kim CJ. Clinical Study on Two Cases of In patients with Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy. Daejeon University Institute of korean medicine thesis Collection. 2004;13(2)251-8.
- Beaglehole R, Bonita R, Kjellstrom T. Basic epidemiology. Geneva:World Health Organization. 1993.
- Centre for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics. Annual report 1992. The University of Newcastle. 1993.
- Cullen W. Method of study. In: Passmore R., ed. Proc R Coll Phys Ed. 1987;17:268-85.
- Feinstein AR. Clinical epidemiology. The architecture architecture of clinical research. Philadelphia: W.B. Sounders Company. 1985.
- Firth WJ. Chaos: predicting the unpredictable. BMJ. 1991;303:1565-68. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.303.6817.1565
- Fletcher RH, Fletcher SW, Wagner EH. Clinical epidemiology-the essentials, 3rd ed. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins. 1996.
- Report of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Guide to clinical preventive services, An assessment of the effectiveness of 169 interventions. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins. 1989.
- Sackett DL, Haynes RB, Guyatt GH, Tugwell P. Clinical epidemiology, a basic science for clinical medicine, 2nd ed. Boston/Toronto: Little, Brown, and Company. 1991.
- Jensen TS, Backonja MM, Hernández Jiménez S, Tesfaye S, Valensi P, Ziegler D. New perspectives on the management of diabetic peripheral neuropathic pain. Diab Vasc Dis Res. 2006;3(2):108-19. https://doi.org/10.3132/dvdr.2006.013