- Volume 31 Issue 4
Randomized Clinical Controlled Trials of a Herb Remedies in Korea - Systematic Review
한약을 이용한 한국에서의 무작위 임상시험 개괄적 검토
- Oh, Rai-Young (Institute of traditional Medicine and Bioscience, Daejeon University) ;
- Seol, In-Chan (Strock Center, Daejeon Oriental Hospital, Daejeon University) ;
- Son, Chang-Gue (Liver and Immunology Research Center, Daejeon Oriental Hospital, Daejeon University)
- Received : 2010.02.01
- Accepted : 2010.05.26
- Published : 2010.07.31
Objective: The study aimed to review all randomized controlled clinical trials (RCTs) performed in Korea with herbal medicine, to produce further useful information for herbal-drug development. Methods: All papers reporting RCT with herbal drugs were collected via public database of Korea Science and Technology Integration Services, and various Oriental medicine journals. Then, the clinical question, herbal medicine, result, RCT design, and its conductor were analyzed. Results: A total of 20 RCTs were finally selected, and most of them were performed after 2003. The main subjects of RCT were related to heart and blood circulation, dermatitis, respiration disorder, Sasang constitution, or psychiatric disorders. Eight RCTs were done with a single herb while 12 RCTs were with multiple herbal formulae. In particular, three RCTs for atopic dermatitis with three formulae showed positive results. The quality of RCT was considered as better than average. Conclusions: This study revealed the current status of RCT using herbal drugs. This result would provide helpful information for research and drug development using traditional herbal medicine.
Supported by : 보건복지부
- Korea Health Industry development Institute: Review for Oriental medicine industry. Health Industry White paper. 2006:692-710.
- Cho JH, Wang JH, Son CG. New Drug Development using Korean Herbal Formulae: A model role study. Journal of Korean Oriental Medicine. 2009;30(6): 96-102.
- de Franchis R, Hadengue A, Lau G, Lavanchy D, Lok A, McIntyre N, et al. EASL International Consensus Conference on Hepatitis B. J Hepatol. 2003;39(1):S3-S25 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-8278(03)00213-7
- Levy C, Seeff LD, Lindor KD. Use of herbal supplements for chronic liver disease. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2004;2(11):947-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1542-3565(04)00455-0
- Available from URL: http://liv52.com
- Fleig WW, Morgan MY, Holwer MA. European multicenter study group. The ayurvedic drug Liv-52 in patients with alcoholic cirrhosis. Results of a prospective, randomized, doubleblind, placebo-controlled clinical trial. J epatol. 1997;26(supple):127.
- Firenzuoli F, Gori L. Herbal medicine today: clinical and research issues. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2007;4:37-40. https://doi.org/10.1093/ecam/nem096
- Ghosh AK. Clinical applications and update on evidence-based medicine. J Assoc Physicians India 2007;55:787-94.
- Jadad AR, Moore RA, Carroll D, Jenkinson C, Reynolds DJ, Gavaghan DJ, et al. Assessing the quality of reports of randomized clinical trials: is blinding necessary? Control Clin Trials. 1996;17(1):1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/0197-2456(95)00134-4
- Son DH, Hsing LC, Kim LH, Jeong SI, Seo ES, Jang IS. Effect of Mahuang on Heart Rate Variability in Adults: a Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Randomized Trial. J Korean Oriental Med. 2007;28(1):105-16.
- Yang CS, Hsing LC, Jeong HS, Kim LH, Kwak MJ, Seo ES, et al. Effects of Ephedra on the State-Trait Anxiety in Female Adults: A Double-Blind Randomized Controlled Study. Korean J. Orient.Int. Med. 2007;28(2):346-53.
- Lee TH, Hsing LC, Yang CS, Kim LH, Seo ES, Jang IS. Adverse Effects of Ephedra According to Sasang Typology in Healthy Adults : A Double-Blind Randomized Controlled Trial. Korean J. Orient.Int. Med. 2009;30(1):144-52.
- Hsing LC, Yang CS, Lee TH, Kim LH, Kwak MJ, Seo ES, et al. Short-Term Effects of Mahuang on Anxiety According to Sasang Constitution Classification : A Double-Blind Randomized Controlled Trial. Korean J. Orient. Int. Med. 2007;28(1):106-14.
- Yeo JJ, Hsing LC, Yang CS, Jeong SI, Seo ES, Jang IS. Effects of Mahuang for Weight Loss in Healthy Adults : A Double-Blind, Controlled, Randomized, Clinical Trial. J Korean Oriental Med. 2007;28(1):63-71.
- Seo JC, Lee SY, Lee KM, Leem SC, Jeong TY, An HD, et al. Double-Blind Randomized Controlled Trials on Blood Pressure and Pulse Rate of Korean Ginseng and American Ginseng in Koreans and Chineses. Korean J. Oriental Physiology & Pathology. 2004;18(2):606-11.
- Jo KH, Jeong WS, Kim YS. Study for Koean ginseng, red ginseng, chinese ginseng and American ginseng on blood pressure. Korean Journal of Ginseng Science. 2005;10:119-33.
- Seo JC, Han SW, Byun JS, An HD, Ha ID, Cho GH, et al. The Effects of Gingseng and American Ginseng on General Symptom in Koreans and Chineses: Double -Blind Randomized Controlled Trials. J. Ginseng. Res. 2005;29(1):27-36. https://doi.org/10.5142/JGR.2005.29.1.027
- Ham WS, Kim WT, Lee JS, Ju HJ, Shin JK, Oh JH, et al. Efficacy and Safety of Red Ginseng Extract Powder in Patients with Erectile Dysfunction: Multicenter, Randomized, Double- Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study. Korean Journal of Urology. 2009;50(2):159-64. https://doi.org/10.4111/kju.2009.50.2.159
- Yeo MH, Lee JA, Kim DG, Park HJ, Jeong JY, Kim YB, et al. The Efficacy of eradication therapy and Korea Red Ginseng administration on Helicobacter pylori-associated chronic gastritis double blind, placebo controlled study. Korean Journal of Ginseng Science. 2005;20:8-11.
- Kim NH, Lee HM, Choi CH, Lim SK. Clinical Effect of Korean Red Ginseng on Osteoporosis. J. Ginseng Res. 1998;22(2):114-21.
- Yun DC, Kim HT, Kim EH, Ho DS. Clinical Research of Atopic Dermatitis Treated by Hwangryeonhaedok-Tang in Cosmetics. Korean J. Oriental Physiology & Pathology. 2008;22(6):1611-20.
- Kim SH, Yun DC, Kim HT, Ho DS, Yoon KS. A Clinical Research of Atopic Dermatitis treated by Yeongyuseungmatang in cosmetics. The Journal of Korean Oriental Medical Ophthalmology & otolaryngology & Dermatology. 2008;21(2):126-41.
- Shin SH, Kim JH, Kim MB, Yoon HJ, Lyu SA, Lee SY, et al. A Clinical Research about the Effects of Seunggaltang on Patients with Atopic Dermatitis. The Journal of Korean Oriental Medical Ophthalmology & otolaryngology & Dermatology. 2007;20(2):199-212.
- Han YJ, Bae HH, Lee JE, Lim DH, Park YC. The Effect of Socheongryong-tang on Common Cold : A Randomized Double Blind, Placebo Controlled Study. Korean J. Orient. Int. Med. 2004;Aut(1)
- Park YC. Effect of Socheongryong-tang on Punghan and Pungyeol Type Common Cold : A Double Blind, Placebo Study. Korean J. Oriental Physiology & Pathology. 2005;19(2):524-9.
- Jang IS, Ko CN, Lee I, Park JM, Kim SH, Kim SW. Effect of Cardiotonic Pills on Chest Pain and Discomfort: A Multi-center Double-blind Randomized Controlled Trial. J Korean Oriental Med. 2005;26(2):95-104.
- Hwang DS, Park MW, Chun HN, Yun SS, Lee IS, Cho JH, et al. Effects of Mokhyangsaenghwatang beverage on Postpartum Recovery and Lactation. The Journal of oriental obstetrics & gynecology. 2006;19(4):216-24.
- Park MJ, Seo JW, Sung IH, Kim NO, Sung SM, Chung AK, et al. The Clinical Study on the Effect of Sulguanjul-bang No.1 According to Formulation. The Korean Journal oriental medical prescription. 2005;13(2):193-206.
- Kim LH, Jang IS, Kim JY, Song JM. A Clinical Trial about Anti-anxiety and Anti-stress Effect of a modified formula consisted with Several Herbs. Korean J. Oriental Physiology & Pathology. 2003;17(6):1533-7.
- Coulter ID. Evidence based complementary and alternative medicine: promises and problems. Forsch Komplementmed. 2007;14(2):102-8. https://doi.org/10.1159/000101054
- Cho JH, Cho CK, Shin JW, Son JY, Kang W, Son CG. Myelophil, an extract mix of Astragali Radix and Salviae Radix, ameliorates chronic fatigue: a randomised, double-blind, controlled pilot study. Complement Ther Med. 2009;17(3):141-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2008.11.003