- Volume 20 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Sea Tangle Supplementation and Exercise Training on Blood Glucose and Lipid Profile in Rats
다시마 보충과 운동훈련이 흰쥐의 혈당과 혈중지질에 미치는 영향
- Hwang, Hye-Jin (Department of Food and Nutrtion, Dong-Eui University) ;
- Kwak, Yi-Sub (Department of Physical Education, Dong-Eui University) ;
- Kim, Hyang-Suk (Department of Food and Nutrtion, Dong-Eui University) ;
- Choi, Yung-Hyun (Department of Oriental Medicine, Dong-Eui University) ;
- Kim, Byung-Woo (Department of Life Science & Biotechnology, Dong-Eui University) ;
- Kwon, Hyun-Ju (Department of Life Science & Biotechnology, Dong-Eui University) ;
- Yoon, Byung-Kon (Department of Special Physical Education, Dong-Eui University)
- 황혜진 (동의대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 곽이섭 (동의대학교 체육학과) ;
- 김향숙 (동의대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 최영현 (동의대학교 한의학과) ;
- 김병우 (동의대학교 생명응용공학과) ;
- 권현주 (동의대학교 생명응용공학과) ;
- 윤병곤 (동의대학교 특수체육학과)
- Received : 2010.04.14
- Accepted : 2010.05.13
- Published : 2010.05.31
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of Sea Tangle supplementation and exercise training on blood glucose and lipid profile in rats. Twenty seven, 4-week old male Sprague-Dawley rats were divided into the control group (C, n=9), sea tangle group (D, n=9) and sea tangle+exercise group (D+T, n=9). Exercise training was performed 5 days a week using a treadmill running program for 6 weeks (5 m/min, 0% grade, 30 min). There was no difference in blood glucose (C:
Sea Tangle;blood glucose;triglyceride;cholesterol;high density lipoprotein;low density lipoprotein
- Ahn, Y. J. 1998. Effect of caloric restriction and training regimens on body composition, serum lipids, and muscle strength. PhD Dissertation. Korea National Sport University.
- Andersen, R. E., T. A. Wadden, S. T. Bartlett, R. A. Vogt, and R. S. Weinstock. 1995. Relations or weight loss to changes in serum lipids and lipoproteins in obese women. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 62, 350-357.
- Anderson, J. W. and W. J. L. Chen. 1979. Plant fiber, Carbohydrate and lipid metabolism. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 32, 346-363.
- Bennett, W. G. and J. J. Cerda. 1996. Benefits of dietary fiber. Postgraduate Medicine 99, 153-156.
- Camerson-Smith, D., R. Habito, M. Barnett, and G. R. Collier. 1997. Dietary guar gum improves insulin sensitivity in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. J. Nutr. 127, 359-364.
- Chen, M .S., C. S. Kao, and C. J Chang. 1991. Prevalence and risk factors of diabetic retinopathy among non-insulin-dependent diabetic subjects. Am. J. Ophthalmol 114, 723-730.
- Cho, Y. J. and M. A. Bang. 2004. Effects of dietary sea tangle on blood glucose, lipid an d glutathione enzymes in streptozotocin-induced dibetic rats. Korean J. Food Culture 19, 419-428.
- Colliec, S., A. M. Fischer, J. Tapon-Bretaudiene, C. Boisson, P. Durand, and J. Jozefonvcz. 1991. Anticoagulant properties of a fucoidan fraction. Thromb Res. 64, 143-154. https://doi.org/10.1016/0049-3848(91)90114-C
- Deshiaies, Y., F. Begin, L. Savoie, and C. Vachon. 1990. Attenuation of the meal-induced increase in plasma lipids and adipose tissue lipoprotein lipase by guar gum in rats. Journal of Nutrition 120, 64-70.
- Fernandez, M. Z., A. Trejo, and D. J. McNamara. 1990. Pectin isolated from prickly pear modifies low density lipoprotein metabolism in cholesterol-fed guniea pigs. Journal of Nutrition 120, 1280-1290.
- Goel, B., B. Ooraikul, and T. K. Basu. 1997. Cholesterol lowering effect of rhubarb stalk fiber in hypercholesterolemic men. J. Am. Col. Nutr. 19, 600-604.
- Goldberg, L., D. L. Elliot, R. W. Schultz, and F. E. Kloster. 1984. Changers in lipid and liporotein levels after weight training. Journal of the American Medical Association 252, 504-506. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1984.03350040034018
- Jenkins, D. J. A., A. R. Leeds, A. R. Gassull, B. Coche, and G. M. A. Alberti. 1977. Decrease in postrpriandial insulin and glucose concentration by guar and pectin. Ann. Intern. Med. 86, 20-23. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-86-1-20
- Jenkins, D. J. A., T. M. S. Wolever, R. H. Taylor, D. Reynolds, R. Nineham, and T. D. R. Hockaday. 1980. Diabetic glucose control, lipids and trace elements on long term guar. Birt. Med. J. 280, 1353-1354.
- Keys, A. and A. S. Trusswell. 1977. Effect of citrus pectin on blood lipid and fecal sterol excretion in man. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 30, 171-175.
- Kim, B. R. and J. P. Park. 2003. The effects of bare foot feet walking on the body composition and blood lipid profiles of obese female-studnets in the middle school. The Korean Journal of Physical Education 12, 517-528.
- Kim, M. K. and J. E. Paek. 1997. Effect of dietary fibers in rice and barley on lipid and cadmium metabolism in the rat. Korean J. Nutr. 30, 252-265.
- Kodama, S., M. Shu, K. Saito, H. Murakami, K. Tanaka, S. Kuno. R. Ajisaka, Y. Sone, F. Onitake, A. Takahashi, H. Shimano, K. Kondo, N. Yamada, and H. Sone. 2007. Even low-intensity and low-volume exercise training may improve insulin resistance in the elderly. Internal Medicine 46, 1071-1077. https://doi.org/10.2169/internalmedicine.46.0096
- Lee, K. S., B. S. Bae, M. J. Bae, M. A. Jang, J. S. Seo, and Y. S. Choi. 1999. Effect of sea tangle and metformin on lipid peroxide and antioxidants levels in diabetic rats. J. Korean Nutrition Society 32, 230-238.
- Lee, K. S., J. S. Seo, and Y. S. Choi. 1998. Effect of sea tangle and hypoglycemic agent on lipid metabolism in diabetic rats. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 27, 960-967.
- Madar, Z. and R. Throne. 1987. Dietary fiber. Progress in Food and Nutrition Science 11, 153-174.
Newman, R. K., C. W. Newman, and H. Graham. 1989. The hypocholesterolemic function of barley
$\beta$-glucans. Cereal Foods World 34, 883-886.
- Nishimune, T. T. Sumimoto, T. Yakusiji, and N. Kunita. 1991. Determination of total dietary fiber in Japaneses foods. J. Assoc. Off. Anal. Chem. 74, 350-359.
- Nishina, P. M., B. O. Schneeman, and R. A. Freedland. 1991. Effects of dietary fibers on non fasting plasma lipopotein and apolipoprotein levels in rats. J. Nutr. 121, 431-437.
- Park, J. Y., M. J. Kim, Y. K. Kim, Y. S. Jin, and H. J. Lee. 1999. The effect of exercise pattern and antioxidant supplement on antioxidant enzymes and total antioxidant status. The Korean Journal of Physical Eduation 38, 451-460.
- Riccardi, G. and A. A. Rivelles. 1991. Effects of and dietary fiber and carbohydrates on glucose and lipoprotein metabolism in diabetic patients. Diabets 14, 1115-1125.
- Scjokman, C. P., H. Ingrid, E. Rutishauser, and R. J. Wallace. 1999. Pre and post game macronutritient intake of a group of elite Australian football players. Int. J. Sport Nutr. Exerc. Metab. 9, 60-96.
- Thompson, P. D., D. Buchner, I. L. Pina, G. J. Balady, M. A. Williams, B. H. Marcus, K. Berra, S. N. Blair, and F. Costa. 2003. Exercise and physical activity in the prevention and treatment of aterosclerotic cardiovascular disease. Circulation 107, 3109-3116. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.0000075572.40158.77
- Torsdottir, J., M. Alpsten, G. Holm, A. S. Sandberg, and J. Tolli. 1991. A small dose of soluble alginate-fiber affects postprandial glycemia and gastric emptying in humans with diebetes. J. Nutr. 121, 795-799.
- Trowell, H. 1978. Diabetes mellitus and dietary fiber of starchy foods. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 31, S53-S57.