- Volume 5 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study on Isolated DCM Converter for High Efficiency and High Power Factor
- Kwak, Dong-Kurl (Professional Graduate School of Disaster Prevention and Division of Electrical Control Engineering, Kangwon University)
- Received : 2010.04.03
- Accepted : 2010.08.02
- Published : 2010.09.01
This paper is studied on a novel buck-boost isolated converter for high efficiency and high power factor. The switching devices in the proposed converter are operated by soft switching technique using a new quasi-resonant circuit, and are driven with discontinuous conduction mode (DCM) according to pulse width modulation (PWM). The quasi-resonant circuit makes use of a step up-down inductor and a loss-less snubber capacitor. The proposed converter with DCM also simplifies the requirement of control circuit and reduces a number of control components. The input ac current waveform in the proposed converter becomes a quasi sinusoidal waveform in proportion to the magnitude of input ac voltage under constant switching frequency. As a result, it is obtained by the proposed converter that the switching power losses are low, the efficiency of the converter is high, and the input power factor is nearly unity. The validity of analytical results is confirmed by some simulation results on computer and experimental results.
Buck-boost isolated converter;DCM;Soft-switching technique;Loss-less snubber;Quasi-resonant circuit
- Garcia, J. A. Cobos, et al., “Single phase power factor correction: A survey”, IEEE Trans. on PE, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 749-755, May 2003.
- Y. T. Jang, M. Jovannovic, et al., “High-Power-Factor Soft-Switched Boost Converter”, IEEE Trans. on PE, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 98-104, Jan. 2006.
- Q. Zhao, M. Xu, F. C. Lee, and J. Qian, “Single-Switch Parallel Power Factor Correction AC-DC Converters with Inherent Load Current Feedback”, IEEE Trans. on PE, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 928-936, July 2004.
- D. Sadarnac, W. Abida, and C. Karimi, “The Double Discontinuous Mode Operation of a Converter: A method for soft switching”, IEEE Trans. on PE, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 453-460, March 2004.
- B. Feng, and D. Xu, “1-kW PFC Converter With Compound Active-Clamping”, IEEE Trans. on PE, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 324-331, March 2005.
- W. J. Lee, S. W. Choi, C. E. kim, and G. W. Moon, “A new PWM-controlled quasi-resonant converter for a high efficiency PDP sustaining power module”, Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 28-37, Jan. 2007.
- H. Watanabe and H. Matsuo, “A novel highefficiency DC-DC converter with 1V/20A DC output”, IEEE INTELEC 2002, pp. 34-39, Sept.-Oct. 2002.
- IEEJ: “Recent development on soft switching”, IEEJ Technical Report, No. 899, pp. 4-8, Sept. 2002 (in Japanese).
- Y. Tsuruta, and A. Kawamura, “A High Efficiency and High Power Chopper Circuit QRAS using Soft Switching under Test Evaluation at 8KW”, Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 1-7, Jan. 2006.
- X. Ruan, Z. Chen, and W. Chen, “Zero-Voltage-Switching PWM Hybrid Full-bridge Three-level Converter”, IEEE Trans. on PE, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 395-404, March 2005.
- K. Taniguchi, K. Koh, and H. W. Lee, “Experimental waveforms of single-pulse soft-switching PFC converter”, Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 56-63, Jan. 2004.
- S. K. Chung, and J. G. Lim, “Design of Bootstrap Power Supply for Half-Bridge Circuits using Snubber Energy Regeneration”, Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 294-300, Oct. 2007.