- Volume 5 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Direct Single-stage Power Converter with Power Factor Improvement for Switched Mode Power Supply
- Kalpana, R. (Department of Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology) ;
- Singh, Bhim (Department of Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology) ;
- Bhuvaneswari, G. (Department of Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology)
- Received : 2010.02.24
- Accepted : 2010.07.02
- Published : 2010.09.01
This paper presents a direct single-stage power converter using single-phase isolated full-bridge converter modules, with inherent power factor correction (PFC) for a 12 kW switched mode power supply (SMPS). The advantages of the proposed converter are its simple control strategy, reduction in number of conversion stage, low input line current harmonics, and improvement in power factor. Analysis of the single-stage converter is carried out in continuous conduction mode of operation. Steady-state analysis of the proposed converter is conducted to obtain converter parameters. A systematic design procedure is also presented for a 12k W converter with a design example. The effect of load variation on SMPS is also studied in order to demonstrate the effectiveness of the proposed converter for the complete range of load conditions. A set of power quality indices on input ac mains for an SMPS fed from a single-stage converter is also presented for easy comparison of their performance.
- Abraham I. Pressman, “Switching Power Supply Design,” McGraw-Hill, International Editions, New York, 1999.
- IEEE Recommended Practices and Requirements for Harmonics Control in Electric Power Systems, IEEE Standard, 519, 1992.
- Limits for Harmonic Current Emissions, International Electrotechnical Commission Standard 61000-3-2, 2004.
- Bhim Singh, Brij N. Singh, Ambrish Chandra, Kamal Al-Haddad, Ashish Pandey, D. P. Kothari, “A Review of Single-phase Improved Power Quality AC-DC Converters,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 50, No. 5, pp. 962-981, Oct. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2003.817609
- Bhim Singh, Brij N. Singh, Ambrish Chandra, Kamal Al-Haddad, Ashish Pandey, D. P. Kothari, “A Review of Three-phase Improved Power Quality AC-DC Converters,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 51, No. 3, pp. 641-660, June 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2004.825341
- R. Redl, L. Balogh, and N. Sokal, “A New Family Of Single-Stage Isolated Power Factor Correctors With Fast Regulation Of The Output Voltage,” in Proc. IEEE PESC’94, 1994, pp. 1137-1144.
- T. C. Chen and P. T. Pan, “Modeling And Design Of A Single Phase AC-DC Converter,” Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng., pt. B, Vol. 139, No. 5, pp. 465-470, Sep. 1992.
- S.Y.R. Hui, Y.K.E. Ho and H. Chung, “Modular Single-Stage, Three-Phase Full-Bridge Converter With Inherent Power Factor Correction And Isolated Output,” in Proc. IEE Electric Power Applications, Vol. 146, No. 4, pp. 407-414, July 1999. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-epa:19990168
- T. Nussbaumer and J. W. Kolar, “Improving Mains Current Quality For Three-Phase Three-Switch Buck-Type PWM Rectifiers,” IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 967-973, Jul. 2006 https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2006.876856
- D. D.C. Lu, H. H.C. Iu, and V. Pievalica, “A Single-Stage AC/DC Converter With High Power Factor, Regulated Bus Voltage, And Output Voltage,” IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 218-228, Jan. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.911787
- Y.K. Eric Ho, S.Y.R. Hui, and Yim-Shu Lee, “Characterization Of Single-Stage Three-Phase Power-Factor-Correction Circuit Using Modular Single-Phase PWM DC-To-DC Converters,” IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, pp. 62-71, January 2000.
- S. Kim and P. N. Enjeti, “A Parallel-Connected Single Phase Power Factor Correction Approach With Improved Efficiency,” IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 87-93, Jan. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2003.820598
- J. Hahn, P. N. Enjeti, and I. J. Pitel, “A New Three-Phase Power-Factor Correction Scheme Using Two Single-Phase PFC Modules,” IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications, Vol. 38, No. 1, pp. 123-130, Jan./Feb. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.980366
- Ashoka K. S. Bhat and Ramakrishnan Venkatraman, “A Soft-Switched Full-Bridge Single-Stage AC-To-DC Converter With Low-Line-Current Harmonic Distortion,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 52, No. 4, pp. 1109-1116, August 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2005.851639
- D. J. Tooth, S. J. Finney, and B. W. Williams, “Effects Of Using DC-Side Average Current-Mode Control On A Three-Phase Converter With An Input Filter And Distorted Supply,” Proc. IEE-Elect. Power Applications, Vol. 147, No. 6, pp. 459-468, Nov. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-epa:20000625
- A Novel Single Phase Soft Switched PFC Converter vol.9, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.5.1592
- Fault diagnosis algorithm based on switching function for boost converters vol.102, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1080/00207217.2014.966780
- Comparative loss analysis and efficiency performance of resonance-based PDP sustain drivers vol.103, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/00207217.2015.1028478
- Plasma Display Panel Driver With Dissymmetric Energy Transfer Speed for High Efficiency and Fast Voltage Transition vol.8, pp.12, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1109/JDT.2012.2219037
- Neutral Point Clamped Inverter Based PDP Driver vol.9, pp.12, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1109/JDT.2013.2274096
- Single-Phase Bridgeless Zeta PFC Converter with Reduced Conduction Losses vol.15, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.2.356
- Simplified sustain driver with low-voltage semiconductor devices and low-voltage power supply for AC plasma display panel vol.57, pp.2, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2011.5955159
- Cost-Effective Driving System Based on Switching Scan IC for AC Plasma Display Panels vol.8, pp.9, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1109/JDT.2012.2188375
- Resonant Energy-Recovery Circuit With Asymmetric Voltage Excitation and No Circulating Current for Plasma Display Panel vol.8, pp.10, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1109/JDT.2012.2203331