- Volume 5 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Transient Stability Enhancement by DSSC with Fuzzy Supplementary Controller
- Khalilian, Mansour (Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Urmia University) ;
- Mokhtari, Maghsoud (Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Urmia University) ;
- Nazarpour, Daryoosh (Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Urmia University) ;
- Tousi, Behrouz (Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Urmia University)
- Received : 2010.04.17
- Accepted : 2010.06.29
- Published : 2010.09.01
The distributed flexible alternative current transmission system (D-FACTS) is a recently developed FACTS technology. Distributed Static Series Compensator (DSSC) is one example of DFACTS devices. DSSC functions in the same way as a Static Synchronous Series Compensator (SSSC), but is smaller in size, lower in price, and possesses more capabilities. Likewise, DSSC lies in transmission lines in a distributed manner. In this work, we designed a fuzzy logic controller to use the DSSC for enhancing transient stability in a two-machine, two-area power system. The parameters of the fuzzy logic controller are varied widely by a suitable choice of membership function and parameters in the rule base. Simulation results demonstrate the effectiveness of the fuzzy controller for transient stability enhancement by DSSC.
- Yi Guo, David J. Hil and Youyi Wang, “Global Transient Stability and Voltage Regulation for Power System,” IEEE Transaction On Power System, Vol. 16, No. 4, Nov. 2001.
- L. Gyugyi, “Dynamic compensation of ac transmission lines by solid-state synchronous voltage sources,” IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, 19(2), 1994, pp.904-911.
- P. Rao, M.L. Crow and Z.Young, “STATCOM control for power system voltage control application,” IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, 15, 2000, pp.1311-1317. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.891520
- H. Wang and F.Li, “Multivariable sampled regulators for the coordinated control of STATCOM ac and dc voltage,” IEE Proc. Gen. Tran. Dist., 147(2), 2000, pp. 93-98. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-gtd:20000008
- A.H.M.A Rahim and M.F.Kandlawala, “Robust STATCOM voltage controller design using loop shaping technique,” Electric Power System Research, 68, 2004, pp.61-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7796(03)00153-6
- K. Sen, “SSSC-Static synchronous series compensator Theory modeling and application,” IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery, 13(1):241-246, Jan. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.660884
- Douglas J. Gotham and G.T.Heydt, “Power Flow Control and Power Flow Studies for Systems with FACTS Devices,” IEEE Trans. on Power Systems, Vol.13, No.1, Feb.1998 .
- M. Noroozian, L. Angquist, M. Ghandhari and G.Anderson, “Use of UPFC for Optimal Power Flow Control,” IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery, Vol. 12, No. 4, Oct. 1997.
- Divan, D. et al., “A distributed static series compensator system for realizing active power flow control on existing power lines,” IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, 22: 642-649. DOI: 10.1109/TPWRD.2006.887103. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2006.887103
- D. M. Divan, W. Brumsickle and R. Schneider, “Distributed Floating Series Active Impedance for Power Transmission Systems,” U.S. Patent Application # 10/679.966.
- Cornelius T. Leondes, Fuzzy Therory Systems: Techniques and Applications, San Diego, Calif. Academic Press, London, 1999.
- Michio Sugeno, Hung T. Nguyen and Nadipuram R. Prasad, Fuzzy Modeling and Control: Selected Works of M. Sugeno, CRC Press, Boca Raton, 1999.
- Hao Ying, Fuzzy Control and Modeling: Analytical Foundations and Applications, IEEE Press Series on Biomedical Engineering, Series Editor: Metin Akay, New York, 2000.
- Kevin M. Passino and Stephen Yurkovich, Fuzzy Control, Addison Wesley Longman, Menlo Park, CA, 1998.
- S Qu and C Chen, "Low Frequency Oscillations Damping by STATCOM with a Fuzzy Supplementary Controller," Power system technology, 2002, in Proceedings of Power Con 2002 International conference October, 2002 kunming, china.
- Deepak Divan, “Design consideration for series connected distributed facts converter,” IEEE Transmission and Distribution Conference, 2005, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Deepak Divan, “Distributed Intelligent Power Networks-A New Concept for Improving T&D System Utilization and Performance,” IEEE Transmission and Distribution Conference, 2005, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- D.J Marihart, “Communications technology guidelines for EMS/SCADA systems,” IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, Vol. 16, No. 2, Apr. 2001, pp.181-188. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.915480
- P.Fajri, D.Nazarpour and S.Afsharnia, “A PSCAD/EMTDC Model for Distributed Static Series Compensator (DSSC),” Electrical Engineering, 2008. ICEE 2008. Second International Conference on Publication, (insert country/venue), March 2008.
- Mark Rauls, “Analysis and Design of High Frequency Co-Axial winding Transformers,” MS Thesis, University of Wisconsin Madison. US, 1992.
- L. Gyugyi, C.D. Schauder and K.K. Sen, “Static Synchronous Series Compensator: a Solid-State Approach to the Series Compensation of Transmission Lines,” IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, Vol. 12, No. 1, Jan. 1997, pp.406-417. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.568265
- N.G. Hingorani and L. Gyugyi, Understanding FACTS: Concepts and technology of flexible ac transmission system. IEEE Press, NY, 2000.
- Damping control strategies of inter-area low-frequency oscillation for DFIG-based wind farms integrated into a power system vol.61, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2014.03.009
- Improvement of Power System Performance Using Fuzzy Logic Based Interline Power Flow Controller [IPFC] vol.04, pp.04, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4236/jpee.2016.44007
- Sub-synchronous resonance mitigation via distributed power flow controller vol.23, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1002/etep.1617
- Distributed static series compensator (DSSC) for subsynchronous resonance alleviation and power oscillation damping vol.22, pp.5, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1002/etep.591
- Sub-Synchronous Resonance damping using Distributed Static Series Compensator (DSSC) enhanced with fuzzy logic controller vol.43, pp.1, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2012.05.009
- New Stability Criteria for Linear Systems with Interval Time-varying State Delays vol.6, pp.5, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2011.6.5.713
- Damping of Power System Oscillations via Quantum Particle Swarm Optimization Based Distributed Static Series Compensator vol.41, pp.7, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1080/15325008.2013.769030
- Frequency regulation control strategy for PMSG wind-power generation system with flywheel energy storage unit vol.11, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-rpg.2016.0047