- Volume 5 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Probabilistic Approach to the Protection Capability Evaluation of Distance Relay in Transmission Systems
- Zhang, Wen-Hao (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Myongji University) ;
- Lee, Seung-Jae (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Myongji University) ;
- Choi, Myeon-Song (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Myongji University)
- Received : 2010.04.08
- Accepted : 2010.06.08
- Published : 2010.09.01
This paper proposes a probability measure for the evaluation of relay performance from two aspects, namely, correct trip and no-unwanted trip. They are developed based on the relationship between relay settings and relay measurements, which follow a Gaussian probability model. The proposed method based on strict mathematical derivation is applied to protection capability evaluation of distance relays under various settings. Considering the specific attributes of each protection zone, the optimal settings are also determined accordingly. The protection capability could demonstrate clearly the relay performance under various settings and the optimal settings could provide good references for engineering applications.
Distance Relay;Protection Capability Evaluation;Optimal Settings
Supported by : Korea Research Foundation
- IEEE PSRC Working Group D5 (chaired by E. A. Udren). “Proposed Statistical Performance Measures for Microprocessor-Based Transmission-Line Protective Relays. Explanations of the Statistics”, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 134-143, Jan.1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.568233
- IEEE PSRC Working Group D5 (chaired by E. A. Udren). “Proposed Statistical Performance Measures for Microprocessor-Based Transmission-Line Protective Relays. Collection and Uses of Data”, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 144-156, Jan.1997 https://doi.org/10.1109/61.568234
- F. C. Chan, “Performance Assessment and Control of Power System Relaying”, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 986-994, April 1989. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.25579
- Working Group on Protective Relaying Performance Criteria of the Power System Relaying Committee, “Protective Relaying Performance Reporting”, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 1892-1899, October 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.156992
- M. Kezunovic, J. T. Cain, B. Perunicic, S. Kreso, “Digital Protective Relaying Algorithm Sensitivity Study and Evaluation”, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 912-922, July 1988. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.193868
- Mladen Kezunovic, Bogdan Kasztenny, “Design Optimization and Performance Evaluation of the Relaying Algorithms, Relays and Protective Systems Using Advanced Testing Tools”, IEEE Trans. On Power Delivery, Vol. 15, No. 4, Oct. 2000
- S. J. Lee, et al, “Protection Levels Evaluation of Distribution Systems Based on Dempster-Shafer Theory of Evidence”, Power Engineering Society Winter Meeting, 2000. IEEE, Vol. 3, pp. 1894-1899, Jan. 2000.
- S.J. Lee, S. H. Kang, M. S. Choi, S. T. Kim, C. J. Kim, “ A new evaluation methodology for system of primary distribution systems considering multifactors based on dempster’s combination rule”, Trans. of KIEE, Vol. 48, No. 11, Nov.1999.
- E.R. Sexton and D. Crevier, “A Linearization Method for Determining the Effect of Loads, Shunts and System Uncertainties on Line Protection with Distance Relays”, IEEE Transactions on PAS, Vol. 100, No. 11, pp. 4434-4441, Nov. 1981.
- J. Pinto de Sa, J. Afonso, “A Probabilistic Approach to Setting Distance Relays in Transmission Networks”, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 12, No. 2, April 1997, pp. 681-686 https://doi.org/10.1109/61.584342