- Volume 5 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Practical Power System Stabilizer Tuning Method and its Verification in Field Test
- Shin, Jeong-Hoon (Korea Electric Power Company (KEPCO) Research Institute) ;
- Nam, Su-Chul (Korea Electric Power Company (KEPCO) Research Institute) ;
- Lee, Jae-Gul (Korea Electric Power Company (KEPCO) Research Institute) ;
- Baek, Seung-Mook (Korea Electric Power Company (KEPCO) Research Institute) ;
- Choy, Young-Do (Korea Electric Power Company (KEPCO) Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Tae-Kyun (Korea Electric Power Company (KEPCO) Research Institute)
- Received : 2010.03.30
- Accepted : 2010.05.10
- Published : 2010.09.01
This paper deals with parameter tuning of the Power System Stabilizer (PSS) for 612 MVA thermal power plants in the KEPCO system and its validation in a field test. In this paper, the selection of parameters, such as lead-lag time constants for phase compensation and system gain, is optimized using linear and eigenvalue analyses. This is then verified through the time-domain transient stability analysis. In the next step, the performance of PSS is finally verified by the generator's on-line field test. After the field test, measured and simulated data are also compared to prove the effectiveness of the models used in the simulations.
Power system stabilizer;Phase compensation;Gain tuning;Field test;AVR step;Gain margin test
- F.P. de Mello, C. Concordia, “Concepts of Synchronous Machine Stability as Affected by Excitation Control”, IEEE Trans. Vol. PAS-87, June 1969, pp.316-329.
- Larsen, E.V. and D.A. Swann, “Applying Power System Stabilizers, Parts I, II, and III”, IEEE Trans., Vol. PAS-100, No. 6, June 1981, pp.3017-3046.
- P. Kundur, D.C. Lee, H.M. Zein El-Din, “Power System Stabilizers for Thermal Units: Analytical Techniques and On-Site Validation”, IEEE Trans. Vol. PAS-100, No.1, January 1981, pp. 184-198.
- F.P. de Mello, L.N. Hannett, J.M. Undrill, “Practical Approaches to Supplementary Stabilizing from Accelerating Power”, IEEE, Trans., Vol. PAS-97, September/October 1978, pp. 1515-1522.
- P. Kundur, M. Klein, G.J. Rogers, and M.S. Zywno, “Application of Power System Stabilizers for Enhancement of Overall System Stability”, IEEE Trans., Vol. PWRS-4, May 1989, pp. 614-629.
- J.S. Czuba, L.N. Hannett, J.R. Willis, “Implementation of Power System Stabilizer at the Ludington Pumped Storage Plant”, Presented at the IEEE PES summer meeting, Vancouver, July 1985.
- P. Kundur, Power System Stability and Control, McGraw-Hill, 1994.
- D.J. Kim, J.H.Shin, “Basic Study for PSS tuning: PART I-Torque Characteristics according to the system conditions”, KIEE Trans., Vol. 48-9, Sep. 1999.
- J.H.Shin, J.G.Lee “A Tuning Method for the PSS of a Large Thermal Power Plant and its Application to Real Power System: Part I-Selection of parameters by Off-line Simulation”, Journal of KIIEE., Vol. 23, No. 12, Dec. 2009.
- Design and small signal stability enhancement of power system using interval type-2 fuzzy PSS vol.30, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3233/IFS-151825
- Suppression of power system forced oscillations based on PSS with proportional-resonant controller vol.27, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/etep.2328
- A new LPV modeling approach using PCA-based parameter set mapping to design a PSS vol.8, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jare.2016.10.006