- Volume 5 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
D-q Equivalent Circuit-based Protection Algorithm for a Doubly-fed Induction Generator in the Time Domain
- Kang, Yong-Cheol (Dep. of Electrical Engineering, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Kang, Hae-Gweon (Dep. of Electrical Engineering, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Lee, Ji-Hoon (Dep. of Electrical Engineering, Chonbuk National University)
- Received : 2010.02.05
- Accepted : 2010.04.05
- Published : 2010.09.01
Most modern wind turbines employ a doubly-fed induction generator (DFIG) system due to its many advantages, such as variable speed operation, relatively high efficiency, and small converter size. The DFIG system uses a wound rotor induction machine so that the magnetizing current of the generator can be fed from both the stator and the rotor. We propose a protection algorithm for a DFIG based on a d-q equivalent circuit in the time domain. In the DFIG, the voltages and currents of the rotor side and the stator side are available. The proposed algorithm estimates the instantaneous induced voltages of magnetizing inductance using those voltages and currents from both the stator and the rotor sides. If the difference between the two estimated induced voltages exceeds the threshold, the proposed algorithm detects an internal fault. The performance of the proposed algorithm is verified under various operating and fault conditions using a PSCAD/EMTDC simulator.
Supported by : KESRI
- J. B. Ekayanake, L. Holdsworth and N. Jenkins, Control of Doubly Fed Induction Generator (DFIG) Wind Turbines.
- T. Ackermann, Wind Power in Power Systems, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
- L. H. Hansen, L. Helle, F. Blaabjerg, E. Ritchie, S. Munk-Nielsen, H. Bindner, P. Soerensen and B. Bak- Jensen, “Conceptual survey of Generators and Power Electronics for Wind Turbines,” Risoe-R-1205(EN), Risoe National laboratory, December, 2001.
- Dr. Eggert and S. Franko, “Innovative Variable Speed Drive for Doubly Fed Wind Turbine Application,” 2002 World Wind Energy Conference and Exhibition, July, 2002.
- R. Pena, J. C. Clare and G. M. Asher, “Doubly fed induction generator using back-to-back PWM converters and its application to variable-speed windenergy generation,” IEE Proc.-Electr., Power Appl., Vol. 143, No. 3, pp. 231-241, May 1996. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-epa:19960288
- J. Yang, S. B. Lee, J. Yoo, S. Lee, Y. Oh and C. Choi, “A Stator Winding Insulation Condition Monitoring Technique for Inverter-Fed Machines,” Power Electronics, IEEE Transactions on, Vol. 22, No. 5, pp. 2026-2033, Sept. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.904236
- V. Dinkhauser and F. W. Fuchs, “Detection of rotor turn-to-turn faults in doubly-fed induction generators in wind energy plants by means of observers,” Power Electronics and Applications, 2009. EPE '09. 13th European Conference on, Sept. 2009.
- Generator Protection, IEEE Recommended practice for protection and coordination of industrial and commercial power systems.
- A. R. Bergen and V. Vittal, “Power System Analysis 2nd edition,” Prentice Hall Inc., pp. 514-516, 2000.
- A. Siddique, G. S. Yadava and B. Singh, “A review of stator fault monitoring techniques of induction motors,” Energy Conversion, IEEE Transaction on, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 106-114, Mar. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2004.837304
- P. C. Krause, O. Wasynczuk and S. D. sudhoff, Analysis of Electric Machinery and Drive Systems, Wiley Interscience, 2002.
- G. R. Slemon and A. Straughen, Electirc Machines, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Oct. 1982.
- W. Leonhard, Control of electrical drives, Springer-Verlag, 2nd edition, 1996.
- L. Morel, H. Godgroid, A. Mirzaian and J. M. Kauffmann, “Doubly-fed induction machine: converter optimization and field oriented control with out position sensor,” IEE Proc.-Electr., Power Appl., Vol. 145, No. 4, pp. 360-368, July, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-epa:19981982
- Z. Cai, A. Gao and J. Jiang, “Modeling for Interior Faults of Induction Motors and Its Simulation on EMTDC,” IPST 2003 in New Orleans, USA.
- Design and evaluation of voltage measurement-based sectoral diagnosis method for inverter open switch faults of permanent magnet synchronous motor drives vol.6, pp.8, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa.2011.0315
- Doubly fed induction generator wind turbines: A novel integrated protection circuit for low-voltage ride-through strategy vol.6, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4899076