- Volume 29 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Alternating Pressure Profile Characteristics of Powered Pressure Ulcer Preventing Devices
동력형 욕창예방제품의 교대부양 압력 프로파 특성
- Won, Byeong-Hee (Department of Mechanical Design and Mechatronics, Hanyang University) ;
- Song, Chang-Seop (Gerontechnology Center, Korea Institute of Industrial Technology)
- Received : 2010.06.07
- Accepted : 2010.07.21
- Published : 2010.08.31
The APAM's quantitative effectiveness and comparative study in preventing and treating pressure ulcer has not been sufficiently evaluated mainly because of uncertainty of pressure load input and lack of interpretation of dynamic perfusion recovery characteristics of soft tissue. The purpose of this paper was to quantify and analyze the alternating pressure characteristics of APAM as a preventive measure for pressure ulcers. To quantify the alternating load to human body, we introduced alternating pressure profile concept and developed parametric model of the profile. Regarding pressure level and cycle time, 3 global and 7 local periodic parameters were used to define the profile such as light, standard, typical and heavy duty profile shape. Pressure impulse ratio of light duty is the lowest but pressure fluctuation is significantly high. For the same duty shape, contact conditions are changed with alternating cycle time and more dramatically in shorter alternating cycle time conditions. We can conclude that if we use shorter alternating cycle time on APAM's operation we can get more positive effects regarding to inflated contact time condition. We proposed the quantitative methods on tissue viability study of external loading by simultaneous measurement of interface pressure and tissue perfusion with proper alternating pressure profile conditions.
- Bader, D. L., The recovery characteristics of soft tissues following repeated loading, Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, 27(2), 141-150, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1682/JRRD.1990.04.0141
- Bouton, et al., The aetiology of pressure sores: skin deep or muscle bound?, Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 84, 616-619, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1053/apmr.2003.50038
- Collin, D. and Saumet, J. L, Influence of external pressure on transcutaneous oxygen tension and laser Doppler flowmetry on sacral skin, Clinical Physiology, 16, 61-72, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-097X.1996.tb00556.x
- Harel, F., et al., Arterial flow measurements during reactive hyperemia using NIRS, Physiological Measurement, 29, 1033-1040, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1088/0967-3334/29/9/003
- Jonsson, A., et al., Evaluation of antidecubitus mattresses, Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing, 43, 541-547, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02351025
- Makhsous, M., et al., Measuring tissue perfusion during pressure relief maneuvers: Insights into preventing pressure ulcers, The Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine, 30(5), 497-507, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1080/10790268.2007.11754584
- NPUAP and EPUAP, Pressure ulcer prevention and treatment - clinical practice guideline, National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel, 2009.
- Reswick, J. B. and Rogers, J. E, Experience at Rancho Los Amigos Hospital with devices and techniques to prevent pressure sores, Bed sore Biomechanics, 301-310., The Macmillan Press, 1976.
- Rithalia, S. V. S. and Gonsalkorale, M., Quantification of pressure relief using interface pressure and tissue perfusion in alternating pressure air mattresses, Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 81, 1364-1369, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1053/apmr.2000.9164
- Tissue Viability Society, Laboratory measurement of the interface pressure applied by active therapy support surfaces: A consensus document, Journal of Tissue Viability, 19, 2-6, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtv.2009.11.010
- Vanderwee, K., Grypdonck, M. and Defloor, T., Alternating pressure air mattresses as prevention for pressure ulcers: A literature review, International Journal of Nursing Studies, 45, 784-801, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2007.07.003
- Wywialowski, E. F., Tissue perfusion as a key underlying concept of pressure ulcer development and treatment, Journal of Vascular Nursing, March, 12-16, 1999.
- The Effects of Alternating Set Pressure Changes on Dynamic Tissue Perfusion Characteristics vol.29, pp.6, 2010, https://doi.org/10.5143/JESK.2010.29.6.875