- Volume 30 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Manufacture of Spent Layer Chicken Meat Products by Natural Freeze-Drying during Winter
겨울철 자연 동결 건조에 의한 노계 육제품의 제조
- Lee, Sung-Ki (Department of Animal Products and Food Science, Kangwon National University) ;
- Kang, Sun-Moon (Department of Animal Products and Food Science, Kangwon National University) ;
- Lee, Ik-Sun (Department of Animal Products and Food Science, Kangwon National University) ;
- Seo, Dong-Kwan (Department of Animal Products and Food Science, Kangwon National University) ;
- Kwon, Il-Kyung (Department of Animal Products and Food Science, Kangwon National University) ;
- Pan, Jo-No (Faculty of Animal Science, Gadjah Mada University) ;
- Kim, Hee-Ju (Meat Bank Co., Ltd.) ;
- Ga, Cheon-Heung (Korea Food System, Inc.) ;
- Pak, Jae-In (Department of Animal Products and Food Science, Kangwon National University)
- 이성기 (강원대학교 동물식품응용과학과) ;
- 강선문 (강원대학교 동물식품응용과학과) ;
- 이익선 (강원대학교 동물식품응용과학과) ;
- 서동관 (강원대학교 동물식품응용과학과) ;
- 권일경 (강원대학교 동물식품응용과학과) ;
- 판조노 (가자마다대학교 축산학과) ;
- 김희주 ((주)미트뱅크) ;
- 가천흥 ((주)한국푸드시스템) ;
- 박재인 (강원대학교 동물식품응용과학과)
- Received : 2009.12.08
- Accepted : 2010.03.12
- Published : 2010.04.30
The objective of this study was to manufacture spent layer chicken meat products by natural freeze-drying. The spent layers of chickens that were slaughtered at 80 wk were obtained from a local slaughter house and separated into two halves of carcasses. The samples were divided into the following groups: 1) control (non-curing), 2) curing, and 3) curing with 2% trehalose before drying. The cured meats were placed at
- AOAC (1995) Official Methods of Analysis. 16th ed, Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC.
- Beuchat, L. R. (1983) Influence of water activity on growth, metabolic activities, and survival of yeasts and molds. J. Food Prot. 46, 135-141.
- Birch, G. G. (1963) Trehalose. In: Advances in carbohydrate chemistry. Wolfrom. M. L. and Tyson, R. S. (eds), Academic Press, Inc., NY, Vol. 18, pp. 201-225.
- Byun, M. H., Choi, M.J., Lee, S., and Min, S. G. (1998) Influence of freezing rate on the aroma retention in a freeze drying system. Korean J. Food Sci. Ani. Resour. 18, 176-184.
- Campbell, R. E. and Kenney, P. B. (1994) Processed meats/ poultry/seafood. In: Muscle foods. Kinsman. D. M., Kotula, A. W., and Breidenstein, B. C. (eds), Chapman & Hall, Inc.,NY, pp. 106-162.
- Choi, H., Kim, J. H., and Kim, J. C. (2007) Effects of different drying methods on fatty acids, free amino acids, and browing of dried Alaska pollack. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 36, 1182-1187. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.9.1182
- Dierick, N., Vandekerckhove, P., and Demeyer, O. (1974) Changes in nonprotein nitrogen compounds during dry sausage ripening. J. Food Sci. 39, 301-304. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1974.tb02880.x
- Folch, J. M., Lees, M., and Stanley, G. H. S. (1957) A simple method for the isolation and purification and total lipids from animal tissues. J. Biol. Chem. 226, 497-509.
- Fontana, A. J. (1998) Water activity: why it is important for food safety. 1st NSF International Conference on Food Safety, Albuquerque, NM, pp. 177-185.
- Freybler, L. A., Gray, J. I., Asghar, A., Booren, A. M., Pearson, A. M., and Buckley, D. J. (1993) Nitrite stabilization of lipids in cured pork. Meat Sci. 33, 85-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(93)90096-Z
- Goodwin, T. L. and Maness, J. B. (1984) The influence of marination, weight, and cooking techniques on tenderness of broilers. Poult. Sci. 63, 1925-1929. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0631925
- Han, D. J., Jeong, J. Y., Choi, J. H., Choi, Y. S., Kim, H. Y., Lee, M. A., Lee, E. S., Paik, H. D., and Kim, C. J. (2007) Effects of drying conditions on quality properties of pork jerky. Korean J. Food Sci. Ani. Resour. 27, 29-34. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2007.27.1.29
- Honikel, K. O. (1998) References methods for the assessment of physical characteristics of meat. Meat Sci. 49, 447-457. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(98)00034-5
- Jin, S. K., Kim, I. S., Kim, D. H., Jeong, K. J., and Choi, Y. J. (2006) Comparison of yield, physic-chemical and sensory characteristics for chicken surimi manufactured by alkaline adjustment with different raw materials. Korean J. Food Sci. Ani. Resour. 26, 431-440.
- Jin, S. K., Kim, I. S., Choi, Y. J., Yang, H. S., and Park, G. B. (2007a) Effects of cryoprotectants on the quality characteristics of chicken breast surimi manufactured by pH adjustment during freezing storage. Korean J. Food Sci. Ani. Resour. 27, 320-328. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2007.27.3.320
- Jin, S. K., Kim, I. S., Jung, H. J., Kim, D. H., Choi, Y. J., and Hur, S. J. (2007b) The development of sausage including meat from spent laying hen surimi. Poult. Sci. 86, 2676-2684. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2006-00451
- Kanner, J., Harel, S., and Jaffe, R. (1991) Lipid peroxidation of muscle food as affected by NaCl. J. Agric. Food Chem. 39, 1017-1021. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00006a002
- KMA (2008) Annual Climatological Report. Korea Meteorological Administration, Seoul, Korea, pp. 165.
- Kohsaka, K. (1975) Freshness preservation of food and measurement. The food industry 18, 105-111.
- Lee, S. K., Kim, H. J., Kang, C. G., and Kim, S. T. (1997) Effects of temperature and time on physicochemical properties of Korean goat meat jerky during drying. Korean J. Food Sci. Ani. Resour. 17, 184-189.
- Lee, S. K. and Min, B. J. (2002) Effects of trehalose and oligosaccharide as cryoprotectant in chicken surimi. Korean J. Poult. Sci. 29, 45-50.
- Leslie, S. B., Israeli, E., Lighthart, B., Crowe, J. H., and Crowe, L. M. (1995) Trehalose and sucrose protect both membranes and proteins in intact bacteria during drying. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 61, 3592-3597.
- Nowsad, A. A., Huang, W. F., Kanoh, S., and Niwa, E. (2000) Washing and cryoprotectant effects on frozen storage of spent hen surimi. Poult. Sci. 79, 913-920. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/79.6.913
- Park, G. B., Song, D. J., Lee, J. I., Kim, Y. J., Kim, Y. G., and Park T. S. (1994a) Effects of addition of varied levels of sodium chloride and phosphates on pH, tenderness, moisture and mineral contents in spent layer meat. Korean J. Poult. Sci. 21, 239-247.
- Park, G. B., Lee, J. I., Jin, S. K., Moon, J. D., and Shin, T. S. (1994b) Changes in protein extractability, thiobarbituric acid and volatile basic nitrogen of spent layer meat treated with sodium chloride and phosphates. Korean J. Poult. Sci. 21, 249-256.
Park, G. B., Kim, J. H., Lee, H. G., Kim, Y. G., Kim, Y. G., Lee, J. I., Park, T. S., and Jeong, T. C. (1997) Effects of dietary
$\omega$-fatty acids on fatty acids composition and storage characteristics of meats from spent hens. Korean J. Poult. Sci. 24, 73-83.
- Roser, B. (1991) Trehalose, a new approach to premium dried foods. Trends Food Sci. Technol. 2, 166-169. https://doi.org/10.1016/0924-2244(91)90671-5
- SAS (1999) SAS/STAT Software for PC. Release 8.01, SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC.
- Sinnhuber, R. O. and Yu, T. C. (1997) The 2-thiobarbituric acid reaction, an objective measure of the oxidative deterioration occurring in fats and oils. J. Jap. Soc. Fish. Sci. 26, 259-267.
- Sofos, J. N. (1986) Use of phosphate in low sodium meat products. Food Technol. 40, 52-69.
- Tims, M. J. and Watts, B. M. (1958) Protection of cooked meats with phosphates. Food Technol. 12, 240-243.
- USFDA (1998) FDA's Bacteriological Analytical Manual. 8th ed, Revision A, US Food and Drug Administration, Silver Spring, MD.
- Van Dijck, P., Colavizza, D., Smet, P., and Thevelein, J. M. (1995) Differential importance of trehalose in stress resistance in fermenting and nonfermenting Saccharomyces cerevisiae cells. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 61, 109-115.
- van Laak, R. L. J. M. (1994) Spoilage and preservation of muscle foods. In: Muscle foods. Kinsman. D. M., Kotula, A. W., and Breidenstein, B. C. (eds), Chapman & Hall, Inc., NY, pp. 378-405.
- Physico-Chemical Characteristics Evaluation of Spent Hen and Broiler vol.28, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2015.28.4.527
- The Effect of Washing of Carcasses with Sodium Hypochlorite Solution and Vacuum Packaging on the Microbiological and Physiochemical Quality of the Breast Meat from Old Hen during Storage at 4℃ vol.40, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2013.40.4.327