- Volume 20 Issue 1
Measurement of Antioxidation Substances in Basil
바질의 항산화 물질 측정에 관한 연구
- Suh, Bong-Soon (Division of Food Service Industry, Uiduk University) ;
- Park, Myung-Hee (Division of Food Service Industry, Uiduk University)
- Received : 2009.08.27
- Accepted : 2009.12.15
- Published : 2010.02.28
Basil is known to contain six types of polyphenols that engage in physiological activation; protocateuic acid, caffeic acid, chlorogenic acid, courmaric acid, rosmarinic acid and quercetin. In this study, the antioxidants in eight types of basil were evaluated. Specifically, the antioxidative activation of basil was evaluated based on the relationship between active oxygen scavenging (DPPH radical-scavenging), which was used as an index showing the content and functionality of the polyphenol compounds in basil, and
- 곽병화 (2001) 꽃.나무.허브 키우기. 주부생활, 서울. pp 146-147.
- 이정연 (2004) 허브, 김영사, 경기. p 11.
- 최영전 (1992) 향료, 약미, 향신료 식물 백과, 오성출판사, 서울. pp 131-136.
- Ahn DJ, Lee JG, Kim MJ, Lee JC (2001) Comparison of volatile cimponents in organs of Ocimum basilicum L. cultivated in Korea. J Korean Med Crop Sci 9: 130-138.
- Blois MS (1958) Antioxidant determination by the use of stable free radical. Nature 26: 1198-1199.
- Chen Q, Shi H, Ho CT (1992) Effects of rosmary extracts and major constituents on lipid oxidation and soybean lipoxygenase activity. J Am Oil Chem Soc 69: 999-1002. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02541065
- Choi HS (1994) Peroxide and nutrition of lipids. J Kor Soc Food Nutr 23: 867-878.
- Cuvelier ME, CRichard H, Berset C (1996) Antioxidative activity and phenolic composition of pilot-plant and commercial extracts of sage and rosmarinic acid. J Am Oil Chem Soc 73: 645-652. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02518121
- Deni B (1990) In encyclopedia of herbs and their uses. New York. pp 166-167.
- Duval B, Shetty K (2001) The stimulation of phenolics and antioxidant activity in pea (Pisum sativum) elicited by genetically transformed anise root extract. J Food Biochem 25: 361-377. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4514.2001.tb00746.x
- Frankel EN, Huang SW, Aeschbach R, Prior E (1996) Antioxidant activity of a rosmary extract and its constituents, carnosic acid, camosol and rosmarinic acid, in bulk oil and oil-in-water emulsion. J Agric Food Chem 44: 131-135. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf950374p
- Higasi GS (2000) Appraisement of antioxidative activity from vegetables. Jsp. J Food Ind 57: 56-64.
- Hung MT, Ho CT, Lee CY (1992) Phenolic compounds in food. In phenolic compounds in food and their effects on heath II. Maple Press, New York pp 2-7.
- Kelm, MA, Nair MG, Strasburg GM, DeWitt DL (2000) Antioxidant and cyclooxygenase inhibitory phenolic compounds from Ocimum sanctum Linn. Phytomedicine 7: 7-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0944-7113(00)80015-X
- Kim JH, Yoon SJ, Lee KH, Kwon HJ, Chun SS, Kim TW, Cho YJ (2005) Screening of biological activities of the extracts from basil (Ocimum basilicum L.). J Korean Soc Appl Biol Chem 48: 173-177.
- Kim SB, Kang JH, Park YH (1987) DNA damage of lipid ocidation products and its inhibition mechanism. Bull Korean Fish Soc 20: 419-423.
- Kyrtopoulos SA (1989) N-nitroso compound formation in human gastric juice. Cancer Surv 8: 423-442.
- Lee JG, Ahn DJ, Kwag JJ, Jang HJ, Jeong KT, Lee JC (1999) Volatile components of basil (Ocimim basilicum L.) cultivated in Korea. J Korean Food & Nutr 12: 513-517.
- Mazumder A, Neamati N, Sunder S, Schulz J, Pertz H, Eich E, Pommier Y (1997) Curcumin analogues with altered potencies against HfV-1 integrase as probes for biochemical mechanisims of drug action. J Med Chem 40: 3057-3063. https://doi.org/10.1021/jm970190x
- Park MH, Kang SM, Jung HY, Hong SG (2003) Protecting effects of vitamin E against immobilization stress-induced oxidative damage in rat brain. Korean Nutr 36: 570-576.
- Pratt DE (1992) Natural antioxidant from plant material. In phenolic compounds in food and their effects of health. American Chemical Society, Washington DC. pp 54-72.
- Pratts DB (1965) Lipid antioxidants in plant tissue. J Food Sci 29: 27-33.
- Ra KS, Suh HJ, Chung SH, Son JY (1997) Antioxidant activity of solvent extract from onion skin. Korea J Food Sci Technol 29: 595-600.
- Stirp F, Corte ED (1969) The regulation of rat liver xanthine oxidase. J Biol Chem 244: 3855-3863.
- Tarladigis BG, Watts BM, Younathan MT, Dugan LR Jr. (1960) Adistillation method for the quantitative detennination of malonaldehyde in rancid food. J Am Oil Chem Soc 37: 44-49. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02630824
- Villano D, Femandez-Pachon MS, Moya ML, Troncoso AM, Garcia-Parrilla MC (2007) Radical scavenging ability of polyphenolic compounds towards DPPH free radical. Talanta 71: 230-235. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2006.03.050
- Wiseman H (1996) Dietary influences on membrane function: Importance in protection against oxidative damage and disease. Nutr Biochem 7: 2-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/0955-2863(95)00152-2