- Volume 17 Issue 2
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to investigate self-esteem, family function, and social support which might influence stress in college students. Method: Data were collected from October 15 to December 20, 2007 when 411 students completed a questionnaire which included Self-esteem scale, Family APGAR questionnaire, Multidimensional Scale of Perceived Social Support and Global Assessment of Recent Stress scale. The collected data was analyzed with the SPSS Win 14.0 statistics program. Results: The scores for stress showed significantly negative correlations with the scores for self-esteem (r= -.394, p<.001), family function (r= -.215, p<.001), and social support (r= -.249, p<.001). Self-esteem, family function and social support by friends were significant predictors and accounted for 18.5% of the variance in stress in undergraduate students. Conclusion: Future stress management programs for undergraduate students should be developed to reinforce self-esteem, family function and social support by friends.
- Barber, B. K., Chadwick, B. A., & Oerter, R. (1992). Parental behaviors and adolescent self-esteem in the United States and Germany. Journal of Marriage and Family, 54(1), 128-141. https://doi.org/10.2307/353281
- Bovier, P. A., Chamot, E., & Perneger, T. V. (2004). Perceived stress, internal resources, and social support as determinants of mental health among young adults. Quality of Life Research, 13(1), 161-170.
- Choi, H. S., Choi, H. J., Hong, K. E., Kim, B. S., & Choi, H. R. (1996). A study on health behaviors of college freshmen. The Journal of the Korean Academy of Family Medicine, 17(8), 633-641.
- Han, J. L., & Namgung, E. J. (2008). The difference of college students' perceived stress and stress coping style according to the communication competence, communication amount and depth. Korean Journal of Child Studies, 29(1), 325-337.
- Haslam, S. A., O'Brien, A., Jetten, J., Vormedal, K., & Penna, S. (2005). Taking the strain: Social identity, social support, and the experience of stress. British Journal of Social Psychology, 44(3), 355-370 https://doi.org/10.1348/014466605X37468
Im, H. Y. (2008). 1 in 2 people suicidal ideation among college students
. Retrieved April 6, 2010, from http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=102& oid=112&aid=0001945615
- Jon, B. J. (1974). Self-esteem: A test of its measurability. The Journal of Yonsei, 11(1), 107-130.
- Jung, D. H. (2009). The effects of stress coping on life stress and it's related anxiety and depression in university students. Journal of Research in Education, 33, 221-244.
- Kang, S. K., Yoon, B. B., Lee, H. R., Lee, D. B., & Sim, U. T. (1984). A study of family APGAR scores for evaluating family function, The Journal of the Korean Academy of Family Medicine, 5(12), 6-13.
- Kim, C. S., Shin, S. C., & Kang, M. H. (1995). Effect of the test stress on the immunological functions of the medical students. Chungnam Medical Journal, 22(2), 423-435.
- Ko, K. B. (1988). Stress perception of patients with psychosomatic disorders. Journal of the Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, 27(3), 514-522.
- Kuk, K. S. (2008). The study of comparison between family strength and self-esteem of male and female college students in Korea and Japan. Journal of Gender Equality Studies, 12, 69-88.
- Kwon, S. (2009). An empirical study on influential stress factors of university students. Journal of Economics & Management, 10(1), 1-29.
- Laurence, B., Williams, C., & Eiland, D. (2009). Depressive symptoms, stress, and social support among dental students at a historically black college and university. Journal of American College Health, 58(1), 56-63. https://doi.org/10.3200/JACH.58.1.56-63
- Lee, J. H., & Kim, H. Y. (2007). The effects of self-esteem, family support and perceived health state on the stress of adult examinee. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 16(2), 174-180.
- Lee, O. S. (2000). Relationship between the rehabilitation motive and social support perceived by spinal cord injury patients. Unpublished master's thesis, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul.
- Lee, S. C. (2008). Studies-employmentiove ... stress makes youth withered away. Retrieved April 6, 2010, from http://mentalhome.joins.comlN ews/article.asp ?total_id=3159736&serv=011
- Lee, S. H., & Chung, M. J. (2005). Effects of differentiation from family of origin and self-esteem of college students on their coping behaviors toward partners. The Korea Journal of Youth Counseling, 13(2), 33-45.
- Lee, S. M., Cho, S. H., & Lee, E. O. (2008). Research in Nursing. Seoul: Korea National Open University Press.
- Linn, M. W. (1985). A global assessment of recent stress (GARS) scale. International Journal of Psychiatry in Medicine, 15(1), 47-59. https://doi.org/10.2190/XP8N-RP1W-YE2B-9Q7V
- Na, K. S. (2008). Stress-stricken U.S. college students... "I can't sleep, eat and study". Retrieved April 6, 2010, from http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&%20sidl=104&oid=003&aid=0002011138
- Park, H. S., & Lim, S. J. (2002). The effects of psychodrama on depression level, social support, self-esteem, and stress in depressed college students. The Korean Journal of Psychodrama, 5(1), 93-115.
- Park, Y. J., Lee, S. J., Oh, K. S., Oh, K. O., Kim, J. A., Kim, H. S., et al. (2002). Social support, stressful life events, and health behaviors of Korean undergraduate students. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 32(6), 792-802.
- Rhu, M. K., Park, K. M., & Kim, C. N. (1999). Factors related to the quality of life of college students. Journal of Korean Public Health Association, 25(1), 29-42.
- Rhyu, J. H., & Kim, T. S. (1998). The effect of self-esteem and social support on job-seeking stress and stress coping mode. Journal of Student Guidance Research, 16, 211-232.
- Rosenberg, M. (1965). Society and the adolescent self-image. Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press.
- Smilkstein, G. (1978). The family APGAR: A proposal for a family function test and its use by physicians. Journal of Family Practice, 6(6), 1231-1239.
- Smilkstein, G., Ashworth, C., & Montano, D. (1982). Validity and reliability of the family APGAR as a test of family function. Journal of Family Practice, 15(2), 303-311.
- Song, N. O. (2004). University student's stress, self-control, self-esteem and internet usage. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Yeh, C. J., & Inose, M. (2003). International students' reported English fluency, social support satisfaction, and social connectedness as predictors of acculturative stress. Counselling Psychology Quarterly, 16(1), 15-28. https://doi.org/10.1080/0951507031000114058
- Zimet, G. D., Dahlem, N. W., Zimet, S. G., & Farley, G. K: (1988). The multidimensional scale of perceived social support. Journal of Personality Assessment, 52(1), 30-41. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa5201_2