- Volume 26 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Determination of Diffusion and Partition Coefficients of PUF
폴리우레탄 폼의 휘발성 유기화합물 확산 및 분배계수 산정
- Published : 2010.02.28
The diffusion and partition coefficients of polyurethane foam (PUF) are estimated using a microbalance experiment and small chamber test. The microbalance is used to measure sorption/desorption kinetics and equilibrium data. When the diffusion condition is controlled in the chamber of the sample, interactions between volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and PUF can lead to the estimation of a relatively homogenous rate of mass transfer in the interiors and surfaces of PUF. The estimates of the material/air partition coefficient (K) and the material-phase diffusion coefficient (D) are shown to be independent of the concentrations of VOCs. This approach, if applied to a diffusion-controlled or physically-based model, can facilitate more precise prediction of their source/sink behavior. Although further research and more rigorous validation is needed, an emission model applied with the diffusion and partition coefficients from this research holds promise for the improvement of reliability in predicting the behavior of VOCs emitted from porous building materials by D and K.
PUF (Polyurethane Foam);Emission;Indoor air quality;Microbalance;Sorption
- Cox, S.S., D. Zhao, and J.C. Little (2001) Measuring partition and diffusion coefficients for volatile organic compounds in vinyl floorin. Atmospheric Environment, 35(22), 3823-3830. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(01)00175-3
- Crank, J. (1995) The Mathematics of Diffusion. Oxford University Press, New York, 44-49.
- Jang, M., S.D. Kim, and J.S. Yoon (2004a) The Study on Characteristics of VOCs and Formaldehyde Emission rate from Building Materials. The 37th Meeting of KOSAE (2004), Korean Society for Atmospheric Environment, 199-200.
- Jang, S.K., S.J. Lee, Y.S. Cho, K.M. Joeng, and K.H. Jeong (2005b) Assessment of VOCs emission characteristics from building materials such as wall paper, and adhesives using small chamber test, Korean J. of Atmos. Environ., 21(2), 191-204. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Kim, J.C. (2006) Trends and control technologies of volatile organic compound, Korean J. of Atmos. Environ., 22(6), 743-757. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Minster of Environment (2004) Standard Test Methods for Indoor Air Quality. Seoul: Korea Governments of Ministry of Environment, 160.
- Park, H.J., S.K. Jang, S.Y. Seo, and J.H. Lim (2008a) Characteristics of VOCs and formaldehyde emitted from floorings, Korean J. of Atmos. Environ., 25(1), 38- 45. (in Korean with English abstract) https://doi.org/10.5572/KOSAE.2009.25.1.038
- Park, J., J.C. Little, S. Kim, and J. Yun (2008b) The Determination of diffusion and partition coefficients indoor bottom finishing materials, Journal of Environmental Health Sciences, 34(3), 219-225. https://doi.org/10.5668/JEHS.2008.34.3.219
- PURRC(2007) The Socio-Economic Impact of Polyurethanes in the United States from the American Chemistry Council. A Committee of the Center for the Polyurethanes Industry.
- Wikipedia (2009) Polyurethane, http://www.wikipedia.org (2009.9.20 last visited).
- Yang, X., Q. Chen, J. Zeng, J.S. Zhang, and C.Y. Shaw (2001a) A mass transfer model for simulating volatile organic compound emissions from 'wet' coating materials applied to absorptive substrates, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 44(9), 1803-1815. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(00)00227-1
- Yang, X., Q. Chen, J.S. Zhang, Y. An, J. Zeng, and C.Y. Shaw (2001b) A mass transfer model for simulating VOC sorption on building materials, Atmospheric Environment, 35(7), 1291-1299. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(00)00397-6
- Yuan, H., J.C. Little, and A.T. Hodgson (2007) Transport of polar and non-polar volatile compounds in polystyrene foam and oriented strand board, Atmospheric Environment, 41(15), 3241-3250. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2006.08.057
- Zhang, J.J. and K.R. Smith (2003) Indoor air pollution, a global health concern, British Medical Bulletin, 68(1), 209-225. https://doi.org/10.1093/bmb/ldg029
- Effects of Multi-Component Exercise and Retraining after Detraining on Functional Fitness and Cognitive Function in Elder People with Mild Dementia vol.14, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.15384/kjhp.2014.14.1.33
- A quantitative property-property relationship for the internal diffusion coefficients of organic compounds in solid materials vol.27, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/ina.12395