- Volume 22 Issue 1
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to identity factors affecting patient adherence and to develop an explanatory model for patient adherence in patients with spinal cord injury. 8 Variables that were based on the previous research and a review of literature were used to construct hypothetical model. Social support, economic status, perceived barrier, patient provider relationship and rehabilitation related knowledge were the exogenous variables, depression, self-efficacy and patient adherence were the endogenous variables. Methods: Data form 117 patients with SCI were analysed to test the hypothetical model, using SAS and LISREL 8.53 program. Results: The overall fitness of the model was good (GFI=.991, AGFI=.915, NNFI=1.299, NFI=.953, p=.632) Depression, powerlessness, economic status were the strong factors influencing patient adherence. Powerlessness was significant factors for self-efficacy. Conclusion: To improve of patient adherence should focus on nursing intervention for depression, powerlessness and economic status.
Supported by : 성신여자대학교
- Bae, B. R. (2005). Lisrel structural equation model: Interactive Lisrel (2nd ed.). Seoul: Chunglam Publishing.
- Bandura. A. (1986). Social foundation of thought and action: A social cognitive theory. NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Beedie, A., & Kennedy, P. (2002). Quality of social support predicts hopelessness and depression post spinal cord injury. Journal of Clinical Psychology in Medical Settings, 9(3), 227- 234. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1016003428370
- Choi, I. S., Jang, S. Y., Park, J. H., Kim, E. Y., & Song, B. D. (1994). Depressed mood in spinal cord injured patients: staff perceptions and patient realities. Journal of Korean Academic of Rehabilitation Medicine, 18(1), 152-159.
- Choi, W. J. (2002). A study on the family support, hope and psychosocial adaptation of the spinal cord injury patients. Unpublished master's thesis, Donga University, Busan.
- Chung, S. E. (2000). Powerlessness of the Spinal Cord Injury Patients. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Dryden, D. M., Saunders, L. D., Rowe, B. H., May, L. A., Yiannakoulias, N., Stevenson, L. W., Schopflocher, D., & Voaklander, D. C. (2005). Depression following traumatic spinal cord injury. Neuroepidemiology, 25, 55-61. https://doi.org/10.1159/000086284
- Ewart, C. K. (1991). Social action theory for a public health psychology. American Psychology, 46(9), 931-946.
- Galassi, J. P., Schanberg, R., & Ware, W. B. (1992). The patient reactions assessment: A brief measure of the quality of the patient-provider medical relationship. Psychological Assessment, 4(3), 346-351.
- Hall, J. A., Roter, D. L., & Katz, N. R. (1998). Meta-analysis of correlates of provider behavior in medical encounters. Medical Care, 26, 657-675.
- Han, S. J., & Lee, J. E. (2005). Risk factors for urinary tract infection in chronic spinal cord injured patients. Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, 29(2), 181-186.
- Jeong, W. K., Lee, B. S., Kim, Y. H., Kim, S. K., & Choi, Y, N. (2005). Standing and gait of the paraplegics by spinal cord injury after discharge. Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, 29(4), 365-370.
- Kim, A. L. (2000). Quality of life model for spinal cord injured persons. Unpublished doctorial dissertation, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Kim, B. S. (2004). Development of medical rehabilitation system for persons with disabilities. Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, 28(1), 1-6.
- Kim, S. B., Yoon, K. S., Lee, K. W., Kwak, H., & Lee, J. H. (2007). The effects of growth hormone on quality of life and metabolism of spinal cord injured patients. Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, 31(5), 521-528.
- Kim, W. S., Kang, E. K., Shin, H. I., Bang, M. S., Shin, J. C., & Park, J. W. (2008). Desire for rehabilitation services of patients with spinal cord injury admitted in post-acute rehabilitation facilities. Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, 32(2), 169-174.
- Kim, K. Y., & Shin, S. B. (2006). Evaluation of cardiopulmonary function and serum lipid profile on spinal cord injured patients. Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, 30(3), 236- 240.
- Koo, S. S. (1993). A study of factors influencing rehabilitation motivation of the spinal cord Injured. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Latimer, A. E., Ginis, A. M. K., Hicks A. L., & McCartney. N. (2004). An examination of the mechanisms of exercise induced charge in psychological well-being among people with spinal cord Injury. Journal of Rehabilitation Research & Development, 41(5), 643-652. https://doi.org/10.1682/JRRD.2003.04.0043
- Lee, B. S., Lee, I. S., Rhee, M. K., Shin, E. K., & Lim, M. H. (2008). Disability identity according to the severity of disabilities in persons with spinal cord injury. Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, 32(5), 537-543.
- Lim, M. J., Rah, U. W., Lee, I. Y., & Moon, H. W. (1999). Quality of life in spinal cord injured persons. Journal of Korean Academic of Rehabilitation Medicine, 23(6), 1143-1150.
- Meichenbaum, D., & Turk, D. C. (1987). Facilitating treatment adherence: A practitioner's guidebook. New York: Plenum.
- Miller, J. E. (1992). Coping with chronic illness: Overcoming powerlessness (2nd ed.). Philadelphia FA: Davis Company.
- Park, Y. S., & Kim, J. H. (2003). Factors influencing the motivation for rehabilitation in patients with spinal cord injury. Journal of Korean Community Health Nursing Academic Society, 17(1), 83-95.
- Radloff, L. S. (1977). The CES-D scale: A self-report depression scale for research in the general population. Applied Psychological Measurement, 1, 385-401. https://doi.org/10.1177/014662167700100306
- Richmond, T. S., Metcalf .J., Magaret, D., & Joyce, R .K. (1992). Powerlessness in acute spinal cord injury patient: A descriptive study. Journal of Neurosurgical Nursing, 24(3), 146-151. https://doi.org/10.1097/01376517-199206000-00005
- Roh, Y. S. (2003). An explanatory model for patient adherence in patients with hypertension. Unpublished doctorial dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Sherer, M., Maddux, J. E., Mercandante, B., Prentice-Dunn, S., Jacobs, B., & Rogers, R. W. (1982). The self-efficacy scale: Construction and validation. Psychological Reports, 51, 663- 671.
- Shin, J. C., Kang, S. W., Chang. W. H., Jung, T. H., Yoo, J. H., & Mah, S. Y. (2006). Desire to void patients with complete spinal cord injury. Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, 30 (4), 340-345.
- Shin, E. K., & Choi, J. A. (2007). Study on factors affecting on the spinal cord injuries' social integration using the structural equation model: Analyzing mediating effect of depression, disability identity. Social Welfare, 11(1), 1-26.
- Song, H. Y. (2002). An explanatory model for social reintegration of persons with spinal cord injury. Unpublished doctorial dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Stensman, R. (1994). Adjustment to traumatic spinal cord injury: A longitudinal study of self-reported quality of life. Paraplegia, 32, 416-422. https://doi.org/10.1038/sc.1994.68
- Tilden, V. P., & Weinert, C. (1987). Social support and the chronically ill individual. Nursing Clinics of North America, 22 (3), 613- 620.
- Yoo, Y. S. (1997). A study on living conditions of the handicapped from cervical cord injury, Unpublished master's thesis, Dankook University, Seoul.
- Yoo, Y. S. (2001). Study on factors affecting on the spinal cord injures' depression-centering on the married man spinal cord injuries. Mental Health &Social Work, 12 , 29-52.
- Yoon, Y. S. (2004). A qualitative study on the adaption process of noncongenital-spinal cord injured persons. Unpublished master's thesis, Kangnam University, Yongin.