- Volume 29 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Determination of Captan, Folpet, Captafol and Chlorothalonil Residues in Agricultural Commodities using GC-ECD/MS
GC-ECD/MS를 이용한 농산물 중 Captan, Folpet, Captafol 및 Chlorothalonil의 잔류분석법
- Lee, Su-Jin ;
- Hwang, Young-Sun ;
- Kim, Young-Hak ;
- Kwon, Chan-Hyeok ;
- Do, Jung-A ;
- Im, Moo-Hyeog ;
- Lee, Young-Deuk ;
- Choung, Myoung-Gun
- Received : 2010.06.11
- Accepted : 2010.06.25
- Published : 2010.06.30
A gas chromatographic (GC) method was developed to determine residues of captan, folpet, captafol, and chlorothalonil, known as broad-spectrum protective fungicides for the official purpose. All the fungicide residues were extracted with acetone containing 3% phosphoric acid from representative samples of five agricultural products which comprised rice, soybean, apple, pepper, and cabbage. The extract was diluted with saline, and dichloromethane partition was followed to recover the fungicides from the aqueous phase. Florisil column chromatography was additionally employed for final cleanup of the extracts. The analytes were then determined by gas chromatography using a DB-1 capillary column with electron capture detection. Reproducibility in quantitation was largely enhanced by minimization of adsorption or thermal degradation of analytes during GLC analysis. Mean recoveries generated from each crop sample fortified at two levels in triplicate ranged from 89.0~113.7%. Relative standard deviations (RSD) were all less than 10%, irrespective sample types and fortification levels. As no interference was found in any samples, limit of quantitation (LOQ) was estimated to be 0.008 mg/kg for the analytes except showing higher sensitivity of 0.002 mg/kg for chlorothalonil. GC/Mass spectrometric method using selected-ion monitoring technique was also provided to confirm the suspected residues. The proposed method was reproducible and sensitive enough to determine the residues of captan, folpet, captafol, and chlorothalonil in agricultural commodities for routine analysis.
Captafol;Captan;Chlorothalonil;Crop analysis;Folpet;Gas chromatography
- Akiyama, Y., Yano, M., Mitsuhashi, T., Takeda, N., Tauji, M., 1996. Simultaneous determination of pesticides in agricultural products by solid-phase extraction and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry, J. Food Hyg. Soc. 37, 351-362. https://doi.org/10.3358/shokueishi.37.6_351
- AOAC, 2000. Pesticide and industrial chemical residues, In official method of analysis, 17th ed., pp. 1-88, AOAC International, Arlington, VA, USA.
- Carlstrom, A.A., 1971. Collaborative study of a gas chromatographic method for determining captan in formulations, J. Assoc. Off. Anal. Chem. 54, 688-696.
- Codex Alimentarius Commission, 2003. Guidelines on good laboratory practice in residue analysis, CAC/ GL 40-1993, Rev.1-2003, Rome, Italy.
- Daroon, C.V., Vink, M., Poll, J.M.V.D., 1995. Gas chromatographic determination of chlorothalonil and its metabolite 4-hydroxy-2,5,6-trichloro-isophtalonitrile (HTI) in water, Chromatographia 40, 458-462. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02269913
- Fillion, J., Sauve, F., Selwyn, J., 2000. Multi residue method for the determination of residues of 251 pesticides in fruits and vegetables by gas chromatography/ mass spectrometry and liquid chromatography with fluorescence detection, J. Assoc. Off. Anal. Chem. 83, 698-713.
- Fishbein, L., 1973. Chromatography of environmental hazards, Vol. I, pp.169-179, Elsevier, NY, USA.
- Fong, W.G., Moye, H.A., Seiber, J.N., Toth, J.P., 1999. Pesticide Residues in Food: Methods, Technologies, and Regulations, pp. 3-4 and 40-44, Wiley Interscience, Canada.
- Francoeur, Y., Mallet, V., 1977. Simultaneous determination of captan and captafol in apples and potatoes by thin layer chromatography and in situ fluorometry, J. Assoc. Off. Anal. Chem. 60, 1328-1330.
- Jung, Y.H., Kim, J.E., Kim, J.H., Lee, Y.D., Im, C.H., Hur, J.H., 2004. Pesticide Science, 2nd ed., Sigma Press, Seoul, Korea, pp.197.
- Korea Food and Drug Administration, 2009. Korean code of food.
- Korea Food and Drug Administration, 2009. Maximum residue limits for pesticides in foods.
- Kwon, C.H., Lee, Y.D., 2003. Terminal residues of monocrotophos and phosphamidon in apples, Life Sci. Res. 1(3), 277-286.
- Lee, J., Park, H., Keum, Y., Kwon, C., Lee, Y., Kim, J., 2008. Dissipation pattern of boscalid in cucumber under green house condition, Kor. J. Pestic. Sci. 12, 67-73.
- Lee, Y.D., 2009. Manual of official method of analysis for pesticide residues in foods, Korea food and drug adiministration.
- Martinez, R.C., Gonzalo, E.R., Jimenez, M.G.G., Pinto, C.G., Pavon, J.L.P., Mendez, J.H., 1996. Determination of the fungicides folpet, captan and captafol by cloud-point preconcentration and high-performance lquid chromatography with electrochemical detection, J. Chromatogr. A 754, 85-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9673(96)00391-3
- Miller, J.M., 2005. Chromatography: Concepts and Contrasts, 2nd ed., pp. 286-287, Wiley Intersciense, USA.
- Neger, B.O., Foster, G.D., Khan, S.U., 2000. Determination of chlorothalonil residues in coffee, Toxicotogical and Environmental Chemistry, 77, 41-47. https://doi.org/10.1080/02772240009358937
- Park, C.J., Lee, Y.D., 2003. Persistence of the fungicide boscalid in grapes and strawberries, Life Sci. Res. 2(2), 9-16.
- Penuela, G.A., Barceló, D., 1998. Photodegradation and stability of chlorothalonil in water studied by solid-phase disk extraction, followed by gas chromatographic techniques, Chromatographia A 823, 81-90.
- Pomerantz, I.H., Ross, R., 1968. Captan and structurally related compounds, thin-layer and gas liquid chromatography, J. Assoc. Off. Anal. Chem. 51, 1058-1062.
- US FDA, 1999. Pesticide Analytical Manual, Vol 1: Multi-residue Methods, 3rd ed., US Food and Drug Administration, USA.
- Zhao, L., Fan, D.F., 1996. Gas chromatographic determination of chlorothalonil in leaves and roots of scrophularia and in soil, J. Assoc. Off. Anal. Chem. 79, 587-588.
- Zweig, G., Sherma, J., 1978. Analytical methods for pesticides and plant growth regulators, Vol. VI, pp. 546-549 and 556-560, Academic Press, NY, USA.
- Evaluation of pesticide residue analysis of dieldrin in soil using a high resolution gas chromatograph/mass spectrometer (HR-GC/MS) vol.43, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7744/kjoas.20160066
- Development of Analytical Method for Fipronil Residues in Agricultural Commodities Using GC-ECD/MS vol.34, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2015.34.4.50
- Study for Residue Analysis of Herbicide, Clopyralid in Foods vol.37, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2018.37.4.42