- Volume 12 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Costume Work Applying the Men's Vest of Eighteenth Century
18세기 서양남성복 베스트를 응용한 의상 작품 제작
- Moon, Myeng-Ok (Department of Fashion Design, Dong-Eui University)
- 문명옥 (동의대학교 패션디자인학과)
- Received : 2010.07.14
- Accepted : 2010.08.24
- Published : 2010.12.31
The men's costume of eighteenth century showed feminine image of elegant decoration through the influence of social feminine atmosphere. As years go, heading towards the end of the eighteenth century, most of men's wear were simplified except vest, which had gorgeous decorations showing feminity. Therefore, men's vest of eighteenth was regarded as good item to apply to modern women's wear. The men's vest design of eighteenth century were divided into three types due to the passage of time, they showed the difference in the length, detail and trimming. Cutting lines in the modern fashion are used to give comfort and show the three-dimensional body silhouette. Also, cutting lines, as a decoration element, can define the costume's image and characteristics. Therefore, by using cutting lines, we can represent historical costume as modern costume and men's wear as women's wear. I made five women's costumes applying design characteristics of the men's vest of the eighteenth century. These five women's costumes have decorative aspect of men's vest of eighteenth century and simple aspect of men's costume. I applied dart manipulation in several different ways to make various cutting lines for women's costume. These cutting lines were emphasized by matching various colors and patterns of fabrics. I made small buttons and cords of these various fabrics. I sewed fabric buttons on five costumes for the purpose of function and decoration like buttons of the men's vest of eighteenth century. I applied fabric cords to decorate five costumes in various way. We should further study how to express important characteristics of historical costumes as modern costume in many ways.
men's vest of eighteenth century;historical costume;cutting line;fabric button
Supported by : 동의대학교
- 강두옥, 김진구. (1992). 18.19세기 단추의 상징성에 관한 연구. 복식, 18, 225-245.
- 구애리나, 이순홍. (1992). 단추와 단추구멍의 변천에 관한 연구. 복식, 18, 247-267.
- 김서영, 이순홍. (1998). 남성 Vest의 기원과 변천과정에 관한 연구. 복식문화연구, 6(3), 56-72.
- 김영자. (1996). 패션디자인. 서울: 경춘사, p. 46, pp. 46-47.
- 박혜원, 이미숙, 염혜정, 최경희, 박수진. (2006). 현대패션디자인. 서울: 교문사, p. 3.
- 이은영. (1997). 복식의장학. 서울: 교문사, p. 88.
- 이은영. (2003). 복식디자인론. 서울: 교문사, pp. 66-68.
- 이정숙. (2007). 현대 패션의 절개선 활용에 관한 연구. 한국의류산업학회지, 9(2), 151-156.
- 이정주, 유효순. (2008). 패션디자인. 서울: 신광출판사, p. 161.
- 정흥숙. (1988). 서양복식문화사. 서울: 교문사, pp. 190-210.
- Black, J. A., & Garland, M. (1997). 세계패션사 2 (윤길순 역). 서울: 자작아카데미. (원저 1980 출판), p. 22, p. 51, p. 25, p. 2.
- Boehn, M., & Loschek, I. (Eds.) (2000). 패션의 역사: 18세기 로코코 시대부터 1914년까지 (천미수 역). 서울: 한길아트. (원저 1996 출판), p. 82.
- Donna COLLEZIONI A/W 09_10 134. (2009). Modena: Logos, p. 152, p. 137, p. 209, p. 121, p. 131, p. 327, p. 125.
- Boucher, F. (1997). A History of Costume in the West. London: Thames and Hudson, p. 308.
- Nunn, J. (2000). Fashion in Costume 1200-2000. Chicago: New Amsterdam book, p. 78.
- L'ALBUM Du Muse'e De La Mode & Du Textile. (1997). Paris: Reunion des Musees Nationaux, p. 49, p. 46, pp. 52-53.
- Rothstein, N. (Eds.) (1984). Four Hundred Years of Fashion Victoria & Albert Museum. London: V&A Publication, p. 58, p. 60.