- Volume 19 Issue 3
A Numerical Study of a Vehicle Windshield Defrosting Mechanism
자동차 전면유리 제상 메커니즘의 수치해석 연구
- Kang, Seung-Jae (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Kongju National University) ;
- Jun, Yong-Du (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Kongju National University) ;
- Lee, Kum-Bae (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Kongju National University)
- Received : 2010.03.23
- Accepted : 2010.09.05
- Published : 2010.09.30
Adequate visibility through a vehicle windshield and frost melting period are critical aspects of major design parameters. To make progress in this area, a good understanding of the flow behavior and heat transfer characteristics produced by the HVAC module is required. The computational study was used to perform the parametric investigation into the defroster nozzle's performance with a full-scale model. The study highlights the drawbacks of current designs and points the way to improve passive defrosting mechanism. The results show that the current design of the defroster nozzles deliver the maximum airflow in the vicinity of the lower part of the windshield, which yields unsatisfactory visibility. Defrosting performance was excellent when the injection angle of the defrost nozzle was 45 degree. The numerical analysis satisfies the criteria provided by NHTSA.
Supported by : 공주대학교
- Park, C. H.: "The Developmental Trend of Automotive Air Conditioning System", Magazine of the SAREK, Vol. 29, No. 10, pp. 14-19(2000).
- Kim, H. G.: "The Comprehension of Automotive Air Conditioning System", Magazine of the SAREK, Vol. 29, No. 10, pp. 20-27(2000).
- Abdulnour, B. S.: "Hot-Wire Velocity Measurements of Defroster and Windshield Flow", SAE Paper, No. 970109(1997).
- Kim, J. H. Jang, B. M. Choi, J. J. Kang, S. H. and Lee, J. H.: "Numerical study on characteristics of defrosting performance for automotive windshield glass", Proceedings of the SAREK 2003 Winter Annual Conference, pp. 125-130(2003).
- Currel, J.: "Application of Computational Fluid Dynamics for The Optimization of Air Ducts", 29t International Symposium of Automotive Technology and Automation (1996).
- Kader, M. F. Youn, Y. M. Jun, Y. D. and Lee, K. B.: "Characterization of the HVAC Performance with Defroster Grilles and Instrument Panel Registers", International J. of Automotive Technology, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 305-312(2009). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12239-009-0035-z
- NHTSA.: "Laboratory Test Procedure for FMVSS 103 Windshield Defrosting and Defogging System", U.S Department of Transportation National Highway Traffic Safety Administration(1996).