- Volume 52 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of Dietary Protein Level and Phase Feeding Regimen on Growth Performance, Carcass Characteristics and Pork Quality in Growing-finishing Pigs
- Choi, Jae-Young (College of Animal Resources Science, Kangwon National University) ;
- Shinde, Prashant (College of Animal Resources Science, Kangwon National University) ;
- Jin, Zheng (College of Animal Resources Science, Kangwon National University) ;
- Kim, Jin-Soo (College of Animal Resources Science, Kangwon National University) ;
- Chae, Byung-Jo (College of Animal Resources Science, Kangwon National University)
- Received : 2010.03.06
- Accepted : 2010.05.31
- Published : 2010.06.30
Two experiments were conducted to study the effects of dietary protein level and phase feeding regimens on performance, carcass characteristics and pork quality in growing-finishing pigs. In both experiments, growing pigs (n=90; barrows; Landrace
Phase feeding;Protein levels;Performance;Carcass characteristics;Growing-finishing pigs
Supported by : Kangwon National University,
- Bidner, B. S., Ellis, M., Witte, D. P., Carr, S. N. and McKeith, F. K. 2004. Influence of dietary lysine level, pre-slaughter fasting, rendement napole genotype on fresh pork quality. Meat Sci. 68:53-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2003.10.018
- Chen, H. Y., Lewis, A. J. and Miller, P. S. 1996. The effects of dietary protein concentration on performance and visceral organ mass in finishing barrows and gilts. 1996 Nebraska Swine Report. pp. 25-27.
- Cisneros, F., Ellis, M., Baker, D. H., Easter, R. A. and McKeit,h F. K. 1996. The influence of short-term feeding of amino acid-deficient diets and high dietary leucine levels on the intramuscular fat content of pig muscle. Anim. Sci. 63:517-522. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1357729800015411
- Goerl, K. F., Eilert, S. J., Mandigo, R. W., Chen, H. Y. and Miller, P. S. 1995. Pork characteristics as affected by two populations of swine and six crude protein levels. J. Anim. Sci. 73:3621-3626. https://doi.org/10.2527/1995.73123621x
- Han, I. K., Lee, J. H., Piao, X. S. and Defa, L. 2001. Feeding and management system to reduce environmental pollution in swine production - review. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:432-444. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2001.432
- Han, I. K., Kim, J. H., Chu, K. S., Xuan, Z. H., Sohn, K. S. and Kim, M. K. 1998. Effect of phase feeding on the growth performance and nutrient utilization in finishing pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 11:559-565. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.1998.559
- Kauffman, R. G., Eikelenboom, G., van der Wal, P. G., Merkus, G. and Zaar, M. 1986. The use of filter paper to estimate drip loss of porcine musculature. Meat Sci. 18:191-200. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(86)90033-1
- Kim, Y. G., Jin, J., Kim, J. D., Kim, J. H. and Han, I. K. 2000a. Effects of phase feeding on growth performance, nutrient digestibility and nutrient excretion of growing boars and gilts. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13:795-801. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2000.795
- Kim, Y. G., Jin, J., Kim, J. D., Shin, I. S. and Han, I. K. 2000b. Effects of phase feeding on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, nutrient excretion and carcass characteristics of finishing barrows and gilt. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13:802-810. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2000.802
- Ko, T. G., Lee, J. H., Kim, B. G., Min, T. S., Cho, S. B., Han, I. K. and Kim, Y. Y. 2004. Effects of phase feeding and sugar beet pulp on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, blood urea nitrogen, nutrient excretion and carcass characteristics in finishing pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:1150-1157. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.1150
- Ko, T. G., Lee, J. H., Min, T. S., Kim, Y. Y. and Han, I. K. 2003. Study on the development of the optimum feeding regimen for pigs weaned at 21 days of age. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:1518-1523. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2003.1518
- Kyriazakis, I., Emmans, G. C. and Whittemore, C. T. 1990. Diet selection in pigs: choices made by growing pigs given food of different protein contents. Anim. Prod. 51:189-199. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100005298
- Latorre, M. A., Lazaro, R., Gracia, M. I., Nieto, M. and Mateos, G. G. 2003. Effect of sex and terminal sire genotype on performance, carcass characteristics and meat quality of pigs slaughtered at 117 kg body weight. Meat Sci. 65:1369-1377. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(03)00059-7
- Lawrie, R. A. 1991. Meat Science. 5th ed. Pergamon Press, London.
- Lee, J. H., Kim, J. D., Kim, J. H., Kim, I. H. and Han, I. K. 2001a. Effects of different dietary CP levels on the growth, nutrient utilization and carcass characteristics of finishing borrows and gilts reared in phase feeding regimen. J. Appl. Anim. Res. 19:145-163. https://doi.org/10.1080/09712119.2001.9706719
- Lee, J. H., Kim, J. D., Kim, J. H., Jin, J. and Han, I. K. 2000. Effect of phase feeding on the growth performance, nutrient utilization and carcass characteristics in finishing pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 8:1137-1146.
- Nam, D. S. and Aherne, F. X. 1995. A comparison of choice and phase feeding for growing-finishing pigs. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 75:93-98. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas95-012
- Lee, J. H., Kim, J. H., Kim, J. D., Kim, S. W. and Han, I. K. 2001b. Effects of low crude protein diets supplemented with synthetic amino acids on performance, nutrient utilization and carcass characteristics in finishing pigs reared using a phase feeding regimen. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:655-667. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2001.655
- NPPC. 1991. Procedures to Evaluate Market Hogs. 3rd ed. National Pork Producers Council, Des Moines, IA.
- NRC. 1998. Nutrient Requirements of Swine. 10th ed. National Academy Press, Washington, DC..
- Owen, K. Q., Knabe, D. A., Burgoon, K. G. and Gregg, E. J. 1994. Self-selection of diets and lysine requirements of growing-finishing swine. J. Anim. Sci. 72:554-564. https://doi.org/10.2527/1994.723554x
- Sinnhuber, R. O. and Yu, T. C. 1977. The 2-thiobarbituric acid reaction, an objective measure of the oxidative determination occurring in fats and oils. J. Jan. Soc. Fish Sci. 26:259-267.
- Sutton, A. L., Kephardt, K. B., Patterson, J. A., Mumma, R., Kelly, D. T., Bogus, E., Jones, D. D. and Heber, A. 1996. Manipulating swine diets to reduce ammonia and odor emissions. Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Air Pollution from Agricultural Operations, pp. 445-452.
- Witte, D. P., Ellis, M., McKeith, F. K. and Wilson, E. R. 2000. Effect of dietary lysine level and environmental temperature during the finishing phase on the intramuscular fat content of pork. J. Anim. Sci. 78:1272-1276. https://doi.org/10.2527/2000.7851272x
- Wood, J. D., Nute, G. R., Richardson, R. I., Whittington, F. M., Southwood, O., Plastow, G., Mansbridge, R., Costa, N. D. and Chang, K. C. 2004. Effects of breed, diet and muscle on fat deposition and eating quality in pigs. Meat Sci. 67:651-667. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2004.01.007
- Effect of dietary energy levels and phase feeding by protein levels on growth performance, blood profiles and carcass characteristics in growing-finishing pigs vol.58, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40781-016-0119-z
- Effects of expanded diets and phase feeding programme on growth performance, carcass traits and meat quality in growing-finishing pigs vol.46, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/09712119.2018.1448822