- Volume 14 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A NOTE ON OPTIMAL RECONSTRUCTION OF MAGNETIC RESONANCE IMAGES FROM NON-UNIFORM SAMPLES IN k-SPACE
- Lee, June-Yub (DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS, EWHA WOMANS UNIVERSITY)
- Received : 2010.02.08
- Accepted : 2010.03.05
- Published : 2010.03.25
A goal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging is reproducing a spatial map of the effective spin density from the measured Fourier coefficients of a specimen. The imaging procedure can be done by inverse Fourier transformation or backward fast Fourier transformation if the data are sampled on a regular grid in frequency space; however, it is still a challenging question how to reconstruct an image from a finite set of Fourier data on irregular points in k-space. In this paper, we describe some mathematical and numerical properties of imaging techniques from non-uniform MR data using the pseudo-inverse or the diagonal-inverse weight matrix. This note is written as an easy guide to readers interested in the non-uniform MRI techniques and it basically follows the ideas given in the paper by Greengard-Lee-Inati [10, 11].
Supported by : Korea Research Foundation
- C. Ahn, J.H. Kim, Z. Cho, High speed spiral scan echo planar imaging, IEEE Trans. Med. Imaging 5 (1), (1983), 2–5.
- J. J. Benedetto and P. Ferreira (Eds), Modern Sampling Theory, Birkhauser Boston, 2000.
- H. Choi and D. C. Munson, Analysis and design of minimax-optimal interpolators, IEEE Trans. Signal Processing 46 (1998), 1571–1579. https://doi.org/10.1109/78.678470
- A. Dutt and V. Rokhlin, Fast Fourier tramsforms for nonequispaced data, SIAM J. Sci. Comput. 14 (1993), 1368–1383. https://doi.org/10.1137/0914081
- B. Desplanques, D. J. Cornelis, E. Achten, R. Van de Walle, and I. Lemahieu, Iterative reconstruction of magnetic resonance images from arbitrary samples in k-space, IEEE Trans. Nuc. Sci. 49 (2002), 2268–2273. https://doi.org/10.1109/TNS.2002.803673
- C. L. Epstein, Mathematics of Medical Imaging, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 2003.
- J. A. Fessler and B. P. Sutton, Nonuniform Fast Fourier transforms using min-max interpolation, IEEE Trans. Signal Proc. 51 (2003), 560–574. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSP.2002.807005
- G. Golub and C. F. Van Loan, Matrix Computations, Second ed., The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD, 1989.
- L. Greengard and J.-Y. Lee, Accelerating the Nonuniform Fast Fourier Transform, SIAM Rev., 46 (2004), 443–454. https://doi.org/10.1137/S003614450343200X
- L. Greengard, J.-Y. Lee, and S. Inati, The Fast Sinc Transform And Image Reconstruction From Nonuniform Samples In K-Space, Comm. App. Math. And Comp. Sci. Vol. 1, No. 1, (2006) 121-131. https://doi.org/10.2140/camcos.2006.1.121
- S. Inati, J.-Y. Lee, L. Fleysher, R. Fleysher, and L. Greengard, Fast, optimal weighting for image reconstruction from arbitrary k-space trajectories, Proc Intl Soc Mag Reson Med 13 (2005) p. 2297.
- A. C. Kak and M. Slaney, Principles of Computerized Tomographic Imaging, IEEE Press, 1988: Reprinted by SIAM, 2001.
- T. Knopp, S. Kunis, and D. Potts, A Note on the Iterative MRI Reconstruction from Nonuniform k-Space Data, Int J Biomed Imaging. (2007) doi: 10.1155/2007/24727.
- Z.-P. Liang, P. Lauterbur, Principles of Magnetic Resonance Imaging IEEE Press series in biomeical enginering, 1999.
- J.-Y. Lee, and L. Greengard, The type 3 Nonuniform FFT and its Applications, J. Comput. Phys., 206 (2005), 1-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcp.2004.12.004
- D. Potts, G. Steidl, M. Tasche, Fast Fourier transforms for nonequispaced data: A tutorial, Modern Sampling Theory: Mathematics and Applications, J.J. Benedetto and P. Ferreira (Eds.), Chapter 12, 249–274, Birkhauser Boston, Applied and Numerical Harmonic Analysis Series, (2001).
- Y. Qian, J. Lin, and D. Jin, Reconstruction of MR Images From Data Acquired on an Arbitrary k-Space Trajectory Using the Same-Image Weight Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, 48 (2002) 306–311. https://doi.org/10.1002/mrm.10218
- H. Sedarat and D. Nishimura, On the optimality of the gridding reconstruction algorithm, IEEE Trans. Med. Imaging, 19 (4), (2000), 306–317. https://doi.org/10.1109/42.848182
- C. E. Shannon, Communication in the presence of noise, Proc. Institute of Radio Engineers, 37, (1949), 10–21. Reprint as classic paper in: Proc. IEEE, 86 (1998), no. 2,
- R. Van de Walle, H. H. Barrett, K. J. Meyers, M. I. Altbach, B. Desplanques, A. F. Gmitro, J. Cornelis, and I. Lemahieu, Reconstruction of MR images from data acquired on a general nonregular grid by pseudoinverse calculation, IEEE Trans. Med. Imaging 19 (2000), 1160–1167. https://doi.org/10.1109/42.897806