- Volume 27 Issue 4
Medical Expenditure Attributable to Overweight and Obesity in Adults with Ischemic Heart Disease and Stroke in Korea
우리나라 성인의 허혈성 심장질환, 뇌졸중으로 인한 총 진료비 중 과체중 및 비만의 기여분
- Kang, Jae-Heon (Department of Family Medicine, Seoul Paik Hospital, College of Medicine, Inje University) ;
- Jeong, Baek-Geun (Department of Preventive Medicine, College of Medicine, Gyeongsang National University & Institute of Health Science) ;
- Cho, Young-Gyu (Department of Family Medicine, Seoul Paik Hospital, College of Medicine, Inje University) ;
- Song, Hye-Ryoung (Department of Family Medicine, College of Medicine, Eulji University) ;
- Kim, Kyung-A (Institute for Clinical Nutrition, Inje University)
- 강재헌 (인제대학교 서울백병원 가정의학과) ;
- 정백근 (경상대학교 의학전문대학원 예방의학교실 및 건강과학연구원) ;
- 조영규 (인제대학교 서울백병원 가정의학과) ;
- 송혜령 (을지대학교 의과대학 가정의학교실) ;
- 김경아 (인제대학교 임상영양 연구소)
- Received : 2010.11.19
- Accepted : 2010.12.11
- Published : 2010.12.30
objectives: This study was conducted to estimate medical expenditure attributable to overweight and obesity in adults with ischemic heart disease and stroke using Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination survey data and Korea National Health Corporation data. methods : The medical expenditure of ischemic heart disease and stroke related to overweight and obesity were composed of inpatient care costs, outpatient care costs and medication costs. The population attributable risk (PAR) of overweight and obesity was calculated from national representative data of Korea such as the National Health Insurance Corporation cohort data and 2005 Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination survey data. results: The medical expenditure attributable to overweight and obesity of ischemic heart disease were 97.4 billion won(74.1-122 billion won). and stroke were 64.6 billion won(33.1-98.1 billion won). Consequently, these costs corresponded to 11.4% of total medical expenditure due to ischemic heart disease and stroke. conclusion: We conclude that overweight and obesity have increased medical expenditure from ischemic heart disease and stroke in Korea. These findings provide important support for implementing overweight and obesity management strategies in Korea.
- 강재헌, 정백근, 조영규, 송혜령, 김경아. 성인의 고혈압, 당뇨병, 이상지질혈증으로 인한 진료비 중 과체중 및 비만의 기여분: 국민건강영양조사자료와 국민건강보험공단 자료를 중심으로. 농촌의학․지역보건 2010;35(1):77-88.
- 김남순 외 7인. 한국인의 비만도에 따른 비만관련질환의 유병률 증가. 예방의학회지 2001;34(4):309-315.
- 보건복지부. 2010년 권역심뇌혈관질환센터 설치 및 운영 사업 안내. 보건복지부, 2010.
- 정백근 외 6인. 한국인 성인 비만의 사회경제적 비용. 예방의학회지 2002;31(1)1-12.
- 통계청. 2009년 사망원인 통계결과. 통계청, 2010.
- Allison DB, Zannolli R, Narayan KMV. The direct health care costs of obesity in the United States. AJPH 1999;89:1194-1199. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.89.8.1194
- Anis AH 외 5인. Obesity and overweight in Canada: an updated cost-of-illness study. Obes Rev 2010;11:31-40. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2009.00579.x
- Birmingham CL, Muller JL, Palepu A, Spinelli JJ, Anis AH. The cost of obesity in Canada. CMAJ 1999;160:483-488.
- Bonow RO, Smaha LA, Smith SC Jr, Mensah GA, Lenfant C. World Heart Day 2002: the international burden of cardiovascular disease: responding to the emerging global epidemic. Circulation 2002;106:1602-1605. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.0000035036.22612.2B
- Colditz GA. Economic costs of obesity and inactivity. Med Sci Sports Exerc 1999;31(Suppl. 11):S663–S667.
- Dixon JB. The effect of obesity on health outcomes. Mol Cell Endocrinol 2010;316:104-108. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mce.2009.07.008
- Fu T, Wen T, Yeh P, Chang H. Costs of metabolic syndrome - related diseases induced by obesity in Taiwan. Obes Rev 2008;9 suppl 1:68-73.
- Reaven GM. Pathophysiology of insulin resistance in human disease. Physiol Rev 1995;75:473-486.
- Sturm R, Ringel JS, Andreyeva T. Increasing obesity rates and disability trends. Health Affair 2004;23:168–176.
- Swinburn B 외 6인. Health care costs of obesity in New Zealand. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 1997;21(10):891-896. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0800486
- Thompson D, Brown JB, Nichols GA, Elmer PJ, Oster G. Body mass index and future healthcare costs: a retrospective cohort study. Obes Res 2001;9:210–218. https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2001.23
- Wang 외 5인. Economic burden of cardiovascular disease associated with excess body weight in U.S. adults. Am J Prev Med 2002;23(1):1-6.
- Willi C, Bodenmann P, Ghali WA, Faris PD, Cornuz J. Active smoking and the risk of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA 2007;298:2654-2664. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.298.22.2654
- Wolf AM, Colditz GA. Current estimates of the economic cost of obesity in the United States. Obes Res 1998;6:97-106. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1550-8528.1998.tb00322.x
- Yusuf S 외 10인. Effect of potentially modifiable risk factors associated with myocardial infarction in 52countries (the INTERHEART study): case-control study. Lancet 2004; 364:937-952. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(04)17018-9
- Zhao W, Zhai Y, Hu J, Wang J, Yang Z, Kong L, Chen C. Economic burden of obesity-related chronic diseases in Mainland China. Obes Rev 2008;9(Suppl. 1):S62-S67.