- Volume 23 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Effects of Chito-oligosaccharide Supplementation on Egg Production, Nutrient Digestibility, Egg Quality and Blood Profiles in Laying Hens
- Meng, Q.W. (Department of Animal Resource and Science, Dankook University) ;
- Yan, L. (Department of Animal Resource and Science, Dankook University) ;
- Ao, X. (Department of Animal Resource and Science, Dankook University) ;
- Jang, H.D. (Department of Animal Resource and Science, Dankook University) ;
- Cho, J.H. (Department of Animal Resource and Science, Dankook University) ;
- Kim, I.H. (Department of Animal Resource and Science, Dankook University)
- Received : 2010.01.20
- Accepted : 2010.03.24
- Published : 2010.11.01
This study was conducted to evaluate the effects of dietary supplementation with chito-oligosccharide (COS) on egg production, nutrient digestibility, egg quality and blood profiles in laying hens. A total of 240 Hy-line Brown laying hens were randomly allocated into one of the following 5 dietary treatments: i) CON, basal diet; ii) ANT, basal diet+44 mg/kg avilamycin; iii) COS0.2, basal diet+200 mg/kg COS; iv) COS0.4, basal diet+400 mg/kg COS; v) ANTCOS, basal diet+200 mg/kg COS+22 mg/kg avilamycin. The experiment lasted for 6 wk. No change in egg weight (p>0.05) was observed during the trial period. Egg production in ANTCOS treatment was improved (p<0.05) when compared to CON during weeks 4-6. The birds in the COS0.2, COS0.4 and ANTCOS groups had higher (p<0.05) Haugh unit than those fed CON and ANT diets at the end of the
- AOAC. 2000. Official methods of analysis. 17th ed. Assoc. Off. Analysis Chemistry, Gaithersburg, MD.
- Berry, W. D. and P. Lui. 2000. Egg production, egg shell quality and bone parameters in broiler breeder hens receiving BioMos and Eggshell. Poult. Sci. 79(Suppl. 1):124(Abstr.).
- Best, P. 2000. Health booster from botany. Feed Int. 6:15-16.
- Biggs, P., C. M. Parsons and G. C. Fahey. 2007. The effects of several oligosaccharides on growth performance, nutrient digestibilities, and cecal microbial populations in young chicks. Poult. Sci. 86:2327-2336. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2007-00427
- Chae, S. Y., M. Jang and J. Nah. 2005. Influence of molecular weight on oral absorption of water soluble chitosans. J. Control. Release 102:383-394. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jconrel.2004.10.012
- Chen, Y. J., I. H. Kim, J. H. Cho, J. S. Yoo, Y. Wang, Y. Huang, H.J. Kim and S. O. Shim. 2009. Effects of chitooligosaccharide supplementation on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, blood characteristics and immune responses after lipopolysaccharide challenge in weanling pigs. Livest. Sci. 124: 255-260. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2009.02.006
- Eisen, E. J., B. B. Bohren and H. E. McKean. 1962. The Haugh Unit as a measure of egg albumen quality. Poult. Sci. 41:1461-1468.
- Hirano, S. and N. Nagao. 1989. Effects of chitosan,pecticacid, lysozyme and chitinase on the growth of several phytopathogens. Agric. Biol. Chem. 53:3065-3066. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb1961.53.3065
- Jeon, Y. J., F. Shahidi and S. K. Kim. 2000. Preparation of chitin and chitosan oligomers and their applications in physiological functional foods. Food Rev. Int. 61:159-176.
- Knaul, J. Z., S. M. Hudson and K. A. M. Creber. 1999.Crosslinking of chitosan fibers with dialdehydes: Proposal of a new reaction mechanism. J. Polym. Sci. Part B: Polym. Phys. 37:1079-1094. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-0488(19990601)37:11<1079::AID-POLB4>3.0.CO;2-O
- Lemieux, F. M., L. L. Southern and T. D. Bidner. 2003. Effect of mannan oligosaccharides on growth performance of weanling pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 81:2482-2487.
- Li, C. H., Y. L. Dong, Y. M. Zhang, Z. J. Song and S. G. Qi. 2006. The chitosan and chitin and the application on chicken production. Jinri Xumu Shouyi. 7.
- Li, X. J., X. S. Piao, Kim, S. W. Liu, P. Wang, L. Shen, Y. B. Jung,S. C. and H. S. Lee. 2007. Effects of Chito-oligosaccharide supplementation on performance, nutrient digestibility and serum composition in broiler chickens. Poult. Sci. 86:1107-1114. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/86.6.1107
- NRC. 1994. Nutrient requirements of poultry. 9th rev. ed. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- Pelicano, E. R. L., P. A. deSouza, H. B. A. de Souza, F. R. Leonel,N. M. B. L. Zeola and M. M. Boiago. 2004. Productive traits of broiler chickens fed diets containing different growth promoters. Rev. Bras. Cienc. Avic. 6:177-182.
- Rozeboom, D. W., D. T. Shaw, R. J. Tempelman, J. C. Miguel, J. E.Ettigrew and A. Connolly. 2005. Effects of mannan oligosaccharide and anantimicrobial product in nursery diets on performance of pigs reared on three different farms. J. Anim. Sci. 83:2637-2644.
- Spring, P., C. Wenk, K. A. Dawson and K. E. Newman. 2000. The effects of dietary mannanoligosaccharides on cecal parameters and the concentrations of enteric bacteria in the ceca of Salmonella-challenged broiler chicks. Poult. Sci. 79:205-211. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/79.2.205
- Stanley, V. G. and A. E. Sefton. 1999. Egg and serum cholesterol as influenced by mannan oligosaccharide and aflatoxin. In Egg Nutrition and Biotechnology (Ed. J. S. Sim, S. Nakaiand and W. Guenter). CABI Publishing, Wallingford, UK. pp. 441-443.
- Wang, X. W., Y. G. Du, X. F. Bai and S. G. Li. 2003. The effect of oligochitosan on broiler gut glora, microvilli density, immune function and growth performance. Acta Zoonutrimenta Sinica. 15(4).
- White, L. A., M. C. Newman, G. L. Cromwell and M. D. Lindemann. 2002. Brewers dried yeast as a source of mannan oligosaccharides for weanling pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 80:2619-2628.
- Williams, K. C. 1992. Some factors affecting albumen quality with particular reference to Haugh unit score. World Poult. Sci. J. 48:5-16. https://doi.org/10.1079/WPS19920002
- Zhou, T. X., Y. J. Chen, J. S. Yoo, Y. Huang, J. H. Lee, H. D. Jang,S. O. Shin, H. J. Kim, J. H. Cho and I. H. Kim. 2009. Effects of chito-oligosccharide supplementation on growth performance, blood characteristics, relative organ weight and meat quality in broilers. Poult. Sci. 88:593-600. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2008-00285
- Chitosan and its oligosaccharide derivatives (chito-oligosaccharides) as feed supplements in poultry and swine nutrition vol.99, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/jpn.12222
- Gut Health of Pigs: Challenge Models and Response Criteria with a Critical Analysis of the Effectiveness of Selected Feed Additives — A Review vol.29, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.0795
- Performance, biochemical and haematological responses, and relative organ weights of laying hens fed diets supplemented with prebiotic, probiotic and synbiotic vol.13, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12917-017-1160-y
- Efficacy of dietary chitosan on growth performance, haematological parameters and gut function in broilers pp.1828-051X, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/1828051X.2017.1373609