- Volume 23 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effect of Cooking Methods and Fat Levels on the Physico-chemical, Processing, Sensory and Microbial Quality of Buffalo Meat Patties
- Mohammad, Nisar P.U. ;
- Chatli, M.K. ;
- Sharma, D.K. ;
- Sahoo, J.
- Received : 2009.05.27
- Accepted : 2010.03.15
- Published : 2010.10.01
Buffalo meat patties with two fat levels, F1 (15% added fat) and F2 (5% added fat and 3% tapioca starch), were cooked in a pre-heated hot air oven (HO) at
Microwave Cooking;Pressure Cooking;Hot Air Oven Cooking;Meat Quality;Low-fat Patties;Buffalo Meat
- Anjaneyulu, A. S. R., V. Lakshmanan, N. Sharma and N. Kondiah. 1990. Buffalo meat production and meat quality. Indian Food Packer 44(4):21-31.
- AOAC. 1995. Official methods of analysis, 16th Ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC.
- APHA. 1984. Compendium of methods for the microbiological examination of foods. 2nd Ed. (Ed. M. L. Speck) American Public Health Association, Washington, DC.
- Berry, B. W. 1994. Properties of low- fat non- breaded pork nuggets with added gums and modified starches. J. Food Sci. 59(4):742-746. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1994.tb08117.x
- El-Magoli, S. B., S. Laroia and P. M .T. Hansen. 1996. Flavour and texture characteristics of low-fat ground beef patties formulated with whey protein concentrate. Meat Sci. 42(2):179-193. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(95)00032-1
- FAO. 2007. www.faostat.org
- Heddleson, R. A. and S. Doores. 1994. Factors affecting microwave heating of foods and microwave induced destruction of food borne pathogens- A review. J. Food Prot. 57(11):1025-1037.
- Hoda, I. S. Ahmad and A. K. Srivastava. 2002. Effect of microwave oven processing, hot air oven cooking, curing and polyphosphate treatment on physico-chemical, sensory and textural characteristics of buffalo meat products. J. Food Sci. Technol. 39(3):240-245.
- Jay, J. M. 1996. Modern Food Microbiology. Spoilage of fresh and processed meats, poultry and sea food. 5th edn. New York. Chapman and Hall. pp. 199-233.
- Jeong, J. Y., E. S. Lee, H. D. Paik, J. H. Choi and C. J. Kim. 2004. Microwave cooking properties ground pork patties as affected by various fat levels. J. Food Sci. 69(9):708-712.
- Kumar, M. and B. D. Sharma. 2004. The storage stability and textural, physico-chemical and sensory quality of low-fat ground pork patties with carrageenan as fat replacer. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol. 39:31-42. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2004.00743.x
- Kumar, M., B. D. Sharma and R. R. Kumar. 2007. Evaluation of sodium alginate as a fat replacer on processing and shelf-life of low-fat ground pork patties. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 20(4):588-597. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2007.588
- Mendiratta, S. K., S. Kumar, R. C. Keshri and B. D. Sharma. 1998. Comparative efficacy of microwave oven for cooking of chicken meat. Fleischwirtschaft International. 78:827-829.
- Modi, V. K., N. S. Mahendrakar, D. N. Rao and N. M. Sachindra. 2003. Quality of buffalo meat burger containing legume flour as binders. Meat Sci. 66:143-49.
- Nath, R. L., C. M. Mahapatra, N. Kondaiah and J. N. Singh. 1996. Quality of chicken patties as influenced by microwave and conventional oven cooking. J. Food Sci. Technol. 33:162-164.
- Nissar, P. U., M. K. Chatli and D. K. Sharma. 2008. Efficacy of Soy Protein Isolate (SPI) as fat replacer on quality of low-fat buffalo meat patties. Fleishwirtschaft International 23(5):73-76.
- Nissar, P. U., M. K. Chatli and D. K. Sharma 2009. Efficacy of tapioca starch as fat replacer in low-fat buffalo meat patties. Buffalo Bullt 28(1):18-25.
- Ohlsson, T. and N. Bengtsson. 2001. Microwave technology and foods. Adv. Food Nutr. Res. 43:66-70.
- Pawar, V. D., F. A. Khan and B. S. Agarkar. 2000. Quality of chevon patties as influenced by different methods of cooking. J. Food Sci. Technol. 37(5):545-548.
- Pawar, V. D., F. A. Khan and B. S. Agarkar. 2002. Effect of fat/whey protein concentrate levels and cooking methods on textural characteristics of chevon patties. J. Food Sci. Technol. 39(4):429-431.
- Raj, R., J. Sahoo, R. K. Karwasra and S. Hooda. 2005. Effect of ginger extract and clove powder as natural preservatives on the quality of microwave oven cooked chevon patties. J. Food Sci. Technol. 42(4):362-364.
- Ryan, S. M., M. Seyfert, M. C. Hunt and R. A. Mancini. 2006. Influence of cooking rate, end point temperature, post-cook hold time and myoglobin redox state on internal colour development of cooked ground beef patties. J. Food Sci. 71(3): C216-C221. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2006.tb15620.x
- Sachindra, N. M., P. Z. Sakhare, K. P. Yashoda and D. N. Rao.2005. Microbial profile of buffalo sausage during processing and storage. Food Control 16(1):31-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2003.11.002
- Salama, N. A. 1993. Evaluation of two cooking methods and precooking treatments on characteristics of chicken breast and leg. Grasas-y-Aceites 44:25-29. https://doi.org/10.3989/gya.1993.v44.i1.1116
- Sharma, D. P., P. C. Panda and S. S. Ahlawat. 2005. Effect of additives and microwave cooking on quality of spent chicken meat patties. J. Food Sci. Technol. 42(1):35-39.
- Snedecor, G. W. and W. G. Cochran. 1994. Statistical methods, 8th Ed., Iowa State University press, Ames, Iowa.
- Suman, S. P. and B. D. Sharma. 2003. Effect of grind size and fat level on the physicochemical and sensory characteristics of low-fat ground buffalo meat patties. Meat Sci. 65(3):973-976. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00313-3
- USDA. 1993. Heat processing, cooking and cooling, handling and storage requirements for uncured meat patties. Rule. Fed. Reg. 58 (146):41138.
- Effect of Grape Seed Extracts on Physicochemical and Sensory Properties of Goat Meat Cooked by Conventional Electric or Microwave Ovens vol.18, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3136/fstr.18.325
- The Quality Characteristics of Salted Ground Pork Patties Containing Various Fat Levels by Microwave Cooking vol.36, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2016.36.4.538
- Effect of pre-cooking methods on the chemical and sensory deterioration of ready-to-eat chicken patties during chilled storage and microwave reheating vol.53, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-016-2248-2
- Development and quality evaluation of health promoting functional carabeef cookies pp.0007-070X, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1108/BFJ-02-2017-0073
- Increased Inhibition of Angiotensin Converting Enzyme (ACE) Obtained from Indonesian Buffalo Meat Protein Using SEP-PAK Plus C18 vol.17, pp.9, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3923/pjn.2018.434.440