- Volume 23 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Effect of Dietary Energy Levels of Gestating Sows on Physiological Parameters and Reproductive Performance
- Long, H.F. (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Ju, W.S. (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Piao, L.G. (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Y.Y. (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2010.02.12
- Accepted : 2010.04.07
- Published : 2010.08.01
This experiment was conducted to investigate the effects of dietary energy levels of gestating gilts on physiological parameters and reproductive performance for primiparous sows. A total of 40 F1 gilts (Large White
- Aherne, F. X. and R. N. Kirkwood. 1985. Nutrition and sow prolificacy. J. Reprod. Fertil. Suppl. 33:169-183.
- Averette Gatlin, L., M. T. See, J. A. Hansen, D. Sutton and J. Odle. 2002. The effects of dietary fat sources, levels, and feeding intervals on pork fatty acid composition. J. Anim. Sci. 80:1606-1615.
- Dourmad, J. Y., M. Etienne and J. Noblet. 1996. Reconstitution of body reserves in multiparous sows during pregnancy: effect of energy intake during pregnancy and mobilization during the previous lactation. J. Anim. Sci. 74:2211-2219.
- Dourmad, J. Y., M. Etienne, J. Noblet and D. Causeur. 1997. Prediction de la composition chimique des truies reproductrices a partir du poids vif et de l'epaisseur de lard dorsal. J. Rech. Porc. France. 29:255-262.
- Dourmad, J. Y. 1991. Effect of feeding level in the gilt during pregnancy on voluntary feed intake during lactation and changes in body composition during gestation and lactation. Livest. Prod. Sci. 27:309. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(91)90126-B
- Frobish, L. T., N. C. Steele and R. J. Davey. 1973. Long term effect of energy intake on reproductive performance of swine. J. Anim. Sci. 36:293.
- Ginther, O. J. 1986. Ultrasonic Imaging and Reproductive Events in the Mare. Equiservices, Cross Plains, WI.
- Head, R. H., N. W. Bruce and I. H. Williams. 1991. More cells might lead to more milk. In: "Manipulating Pig Production III". pp. 76.
- Jindal, R., J. R. Cosgrove and G. R. Foxcroft. 1997. Progesterone mediates nutritionally induced effects on embryonic survival in gilts. J. Anim. Sci. 75:1063-1070.
- Jindal, R., J. R. Cosgrove, F. X. Aherne and G. R. Foxcroft. 1996. Effect of nutrition on embryonal mortality in gilts: Association with progesterone. J. Anim. Sci. 74:620-624.
- Kongsted, A. G. 2004. Stress and fear as possible mediators of reproduction problems in group housed sows: a review. Acta. Agric. Scand., Sect. A. Anim. Sci. 54:58-66.
- Kusina, J., J. E. Pettigrew, A. F. Sower, M. E. White, B. A. Crooker and M. R. Hathaway. 1999. Effect of protein intake during gestation and lactation on the lactational performance of primiparous sows. J. Anim. Sci. 77:931-941.
- Miller, B. 1992. Pigtales International Review, 1990-1991, pp. 72.
- Noblet, J., W. H. Close and R. P. Heavens. 1985. Studies on the energy metabolism of the pregnant sow. I. Uterus and mammary tissue development. Br. J. Nutr. 53:251-265. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19850033
- NRC. 1973. Nutrient Requirements of Swine. 7th ed. Natl. Acad. Press, Washington, DC.
- NRC. 1998. Nutrient Requirements of Swine. 10th ed. Natl. Acad. Press, Washington, DC.
- Pettigrew, J. E. 1993. Amino acid nutrition of gestating and lactating sows. Biokyowa Tech. Rev. 5.
- Prunier, A., J. Y. Dourmad and M. Etienne. 1993. Feeding level, metabolic parameters and reproductive performance of primiparous sows. Livest. Prod. Sci. 37:185-196. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(93)90071-O
- Revell, D. K., I. H. Williams, B. P. Mullan, J. L. Ranford, and R. J. Smits. 1998. Body composition at farrowing and nutrition during lactation affect the performance of primiparous sows: I. Voluntary feed intake, weight loss, and plasma metabolites. J. Anim. Sci. 76:1729-1737.
- Revell, D. K., I. H. Williams, B. P. Mullan and R. J. Smits. 1994. Body fatness influences voluntary feed intake and live weight loss during lactation in primiparous sows. J. Anim. Sci. 72(Suppl. 1):389(Abstr.).
- SAS. 2000. SAS/STAT at User's Guide (Release 6.03). SAS Inst. Inc., Cary, NC.
- Tucker, H. A. 1988. Lactation and its hormonal control. In: The Physiology of Reproduction (Ed. E. Knobil and J. D. Neil), Vol. 2. pp. 2235-2263. Raven Press, New York.
- Verstegen, M. W. A., J. M. F. Verhagen and L. A. den Hartog. 1987. Energy requirements of pigs during pregnancy: A review. Livest. Prod. Sci. 16:75-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(87)90028-5
- Weldon, W. C., A. J. Lewis, G. F. Louis, J. L. Kovar, M. A. Giesemann and P. S. Miller. 1994. Postpartum hypophagia in primiparous sows: I. Effects of gestation feeding level on feed intake, feeding behavior, and plasma metabolite concentrations during lactation. J. Anim. Sci. 72:387.
- Weldon, W. C., A. J. Thulin, O. A. MacDougald, L. J. Johnston, E. R. Miller and H. A. Tucker. 1991. Effects of increased dietary energy and protein during late gestation on mammary development in gilts. J. Anim. Sci. 69:194.
- Xue, J. L., G. D. Dial, S. Bartsh, B. Kerkaert, E. J. Squires, W. E. Marsh and G. Ferre. 1994. Influence of a gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist on circulating concentrations of luteinizing hormone and testosterone and tissue concentrations of compounds associated with boar taint. J. Anim. Sci. 72:1290-1298.
- Young, M. G., M. D. Tokac, F. X. Aherne, R. G. Main, S. S. Dritz, R. D. Goodband and J. L. Nelssen. 2004. Comparison of three methods of feeding sows in gestation and the subsequent effects on lactation performance. J. Anim. Sci. 82:3058-3070.
- Effects of Dietary Energy Levels on the Physiological Parameters and Reproductive Performance of Gestating Gilts vol.29, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.16.0269
- Effects of Inulin Supplementation in Low- or High-Fat Diets on Reproductive Performance of Sows and Antioxidant Defence Capacity in Sows and Offspring vol.51, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/rda.12707
- Effects of dietary energy levels on physiological parameters and reproductive performance of gestating sows over three consecutive parities vol.31, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.17.0016